• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Church DG Courses on the rise - Any takers?

Ok, lets take a poll:

How many people have played a Church course?

And how many of you were preached to when you were there?

I have played two Church courses, and was never preached to.

I was there as the Church was letting out, since they didn't let out till 2pm, and the parking lot is right by the course. Most people just smiled and said hello to me, or welcome to our course.

The Church has always been an important part of the community or neighborhood. Usually when there is a fire, or disaster in the neighborhood, the Church reaches out to help out, with food, clothing, and hope. I remember after the hurricane, my Church, collected clothes and food to send out to the people that needed help. We also bused people in to serve them a good meal, and give them some clothes and other things they needed.

I think this is the important part. Many churches (and Christians in general) have become progressive enough to reach out without some agenda - you know, just generally 'show the love'. So building a DG course - one that's available to everyone - is just a way to say 'hey, we're here if you need or want us.' Maybe I've got it wrong, but the point is not 'hey, get your butt over here so I can get some Jesus in you.'

As for me, I support anyone who wants to build a disc golf course - Church of Christ, Temple of Yahweh, Mosque of Allah, Buddha, or Brahma. It doesn't change the fact that it is a disc golf course.

Ok, lets take a poll:

I have played two Church courses, and was never preached to.

I was there as the Church was letting out, since they didn't let out till 2pm, and the parking lot is right by the course. Most people just smiled and said hello to me, or welcome to our course.

I played one this past Friday and didn't have any issues. There were some other people playing the course as well.

I think the only Church course that would make me nervous is one at "The Church Of Satan" . I think I would pass on that.

Church of Satan

If they had a course like Brackett's Bluff I'd play it. I wouldn't stay for services or dinner, but I'd chuck a few discs.

The newest Church course we have at North side Christian Church In Spring, TX is a quite challenging nine hole course.

Just to be clear my post said:
I think it's great that they welcome all...as long as they don't push ther own agenda - because to me, that's not very welcoming. I've never experienced it on a DG course, but personally, I don't like being proselytized...

I'm not trying to agitate anyone. Just that Sdervan's post feels a little bit like it could be an "ambush" to me (maybe ambush is that's too strong a word, but you get the point) , and I can see where Omega's coming from. It all depends on how it's handled. I'm not saying all people of faith push their agenda on others - but some definitely do.

There's a new church course (Fowlerville United Brethren DGC) about 30 miles from me from that I will try to get to one weekend (weather permitting). Let's honestly see if I am preached to, greeted warmly, not greeted at all, or whatever.

If I get out there to play a round, I will try to reply to this thread with my experience there as well as post a review. I'm curious to see if this course really is as good as the ratings say it is.

I think the only Church course that would make me nervous is one at "The Church Of Satan" . I think I would pass on that.

I've heard Seymour Lake Park's course referred to as Devil's Ridge...
Hopefully I don't have to repent or recite any Hail Mary's for playing a round there.;)

Just to be clear my post said:

I'm not saying all people of faith push their agenda on others - but some definitely do.

No doubt. As someone who lives in the Bible Belt, I would not argue that point. In all fairness - I don't think they mean to come off the way they do. It's sort of a matter of culture absorption; they're sometimes taught to be like this.

That seems kinda slimey, and that shouldnt be the reason you build a course and if it is your a sleaze ball.

Dg is a good way for people of all different backgrounds(beliefs) to get together and enjoy one another and just be Dgers.
He said they want to show people Gods love and earn the right to minister to people. Slimey? If they said to come enjoy our golf course or play our tournament and then surprised you when you got there with pamphlets and snake handlers, that might be on the shady/slimey side. He did mention their intentions so you have fair warning ahead of time. If you still decide to play the church course and you are not Religious/believer or whatever and you get approached by a couple of church reps then just decline and thank them for the golf course. We can all be tolerant of other peoples beliefs, even Christians.:D

If they had a course like Brackett's Bluff I'd play it. I wouldn't stay for services or dinner, but I'd chuck a few discs.

To play a course like Brackett's I might be even willing to sit through a religious service, maybe even the catholic hokey-pokey. And I don't do church.

I agree with Omega that this is a little slimey. Churches are great at making you feel obligated for things they've done for you- "Hey, we let you play here, so we'd really like if we could chat with you about Jebus for awhile..."

And I don't think that anyone has mentioned the youth aspect. Churches are often looking to recruit the (impressionable) young, and a DG course is a "hip" way to get them out there, sort of like youth group ski trips (or is that just in Texas?).

And as an example of these 2 things, when I was 13, living in a small town in texas, I went to a lock-in at the methodist church with a promise of no religious stuff and that I didn't have to go to service the next morning. There was some religious stuff and they pressured me HARD into staying for service, even trying to give me a role in a play so I had to stay for that, but I ended up being the only one of like 50 kids that didn't go to the service the next day.

I'm not against helping people and I would play DG at a church course if it were a good course. I am against basically brainwashing people and telling them you have the answers for the things that can't be easily explained, so I am against churches using DG as a recruitment tool.

I play a church course once or twice a month and they have never bothered me and I show them and their course the utmost respect. I wouldnt mind if every time i went there someone in passing invited me to come hear a sermon or see a "rock" show , but if they were waiting in the shadows to spit their rap i would not go there anymore.

I do alot of volunteering in my community (with church groups as well) and i would NEVER take advantage of someone in need to try to push an agenda or do something for my benefit, thats the definition of "greasy".

Ok, lets take a poll:

I've been preached to in a public park disc golf course, I think I'll skip the church courses. The bottom line is that churches install courses, to try and get people to attend their services. Nothing wrong with this, but I'll stick to courses in public parks.

I've been preached to in a public park disc golf course, I think I'll skip the church courses. The bottom line is that churches install courses, to try and get people to attend their services.

I'm pretty sure that's far from the truth. I rarely ever see many people on the church courses I play and I especially don't see people waiting at each tee to tell me about their services

Last edited: