• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Church DG Courses on the rise - Any takers?

I've been preached to in a public park disc golf course, I think I'll skip the church courses. The bottom line is that churches install courses, to try and get people to attend their services. Nothing wrong with this, but I'll stick to courses in public parks.

I'm pretty sure that's far from the truth.

Nope, it's the truth. I pretty much stick to courses in public parks.

More courses=more playing=more enjoyment. I'm a Christian, but even if there was a course sponsored by some church of satan or whatnot, I wouldn't be opposed to playing there.

That hole where you have to drink the goats blood or take a penalty stroke is a little much...other than that the satan 9 holer is pretty sweet.

I've been preached to in a public park disc golf course, I think I'll skip the church courses. The bottom line is that churches install courses, to try and get people to attend their services. Nothing wrong with this, but I'll stick to courses in public parks.

I disagree I think a lot of churches install the courses to have another way to reach their members, sure they would take you in but I doubt someone is sitting out at the first tee . . . or worse walking out of the woods in their garb waiting for someone to play the course so they can walk along and preach!!!! Now I am from the North so maybe in the south . . . but I still highly doubt it.

I disagree. I think a lot of churches install the courses to have another way to reach their members

Exactly my point. The courses are installed for members, & for bringing in new members. And as I said in my original post.....there's nothing wrong with that.

It would depend on the quality of the course on whether I'd play there. If it's a very standard affair, I may play it once and only return for the sake of variety. If it's an awesome course, then the only thing that would stop me from going would be if there was someone trying to preach or something similar. I'm not anti-christian, I just believe that religion is a very personal thing and I don't like the thought of someone trying teach me their views on religion while I'm trying to putt.

DG course on church land + preach= bad
DG course on church land - strings attached = ok in my book

Now for the person that said that they would use their course to help bring new people in....as long as you make it known that this is the purpose for the course before hand (i.e. sign, etc.), it would be ok. That way people that might take issue with such a thing can just simply not go. There would be no conflict.

OK, here's a question; would you play disc golf if any of the following opened a course on their property:

1. Mosque
2. Synagogue
3. Nudist Colony
4. Seminary (snicker)
5. Polygamist compound
6. Retirement Community
7. Evangelical 'Jesus' Camp
8. Property owned by Amway
9. Nudist Retirement Community

I should do this as a poll.

DG course on church land + preach= bad
DG course on church land - strings attached = ok in my book
Thank you.

OK, here's a question; would you play disc golf if any of the following opened a course on their property:

1. Mosque: yes
2. Synagogue: yes
3. Nudist Colony: NO
4. Seminary (snicker): yes
5. Polygamist compound: yes
6. Retirement Community: yes
7. Evangelical 'Jesus' Camp: yes
8. Property owned by Amway: yes - but they better not try to recruit me either!
9. Nudist Retirement Community: Definitely not!

True story: One of the most frightening experiences I ever had was going back to a Florida beach I used to frequent as a kid. What I didn't know was, while I was living in Michigan, they'd passed a local ordinance to make the beach of my youth "Clothing Optional." :eek:
Sadly, it wasn't the young people with hot bods who elected to go sans swim suit. It was the flabby, old and nasty looking people who elected to leave the clothing off - all the folks that look orders of magnitude better with it on. It was actually rather nauseating.:(

Last edited:
1. Mosque yes
2. Synagogue yes
3. Nudist Colony No way!
4. Seminary (snicker) yes
5. Polygamist compound yes
6. Retirement Community yes
7. Evangelical 'Jesus' Camp yes
8. Property owned by Amway yes
9. Nudist Retirement Community NO!

The point is simple and one every one here has either forgotten or ignored.

We live in a society that is celebrates Freedom (at least for the time being). If a group wants to build a DG course as a means of reaching out to the community for whatever reason than they can and should. Whether that reason is for outreach to youth, spreading the gospel, a good use of land, a boy scout troop project, or anything else.

To condemn them for their honesty as to why they are doing it is disingenuous and hypocritical. If you stop one group from doing this than you would have to stop them all.

I wonder what will happen when some of you have something you truly believe in curtailed or even stopped just because someone did not like what you said or did?

Remember, if by their actions they are offensive to you than you have the right to tell them so and not to use the course.

1. Mosque Probably can't drink
2. Synagogue Ditto
3. Nudist Colony Yes if I can drink and don't have to disc nude... until I'm drunk
4. Seminary (snicker) I can probably drink there, especially if it's Lutheran
5. Polygamist compound Only if 3 15-year old wives caddy for me
6. Retirement Community Yes if I can drink
7. Evangelical 'Jesus' Camp They can't get me, I'm already a minister
8. Property owned by Amway IDK what that one means
9. Nudist Retirement Community Hellz yeah! Daddy likes the GILFS!

When I first saw this thread I thought it was asking if I would steal a church's DG course.

I wish my seminary would have had a DG course. That would have been awesome. And it would have made putting off all those papers a lot easier.

As a deacon and an avid disc golfer, I have a few points to make.

First, the issues being raised by those that have a problem with being approached while on the course are merely issues of perception and intent. I have talked with many people about God, Jesus, salvation, etc. I can tell from the first 2 exchanges of a conversation whether or not the person is receptive or shut-off. If someone is shut-off, that's the end of the conversation. If the person is not receptive, however, I don't just write them off as a heathen worshipper of Satan. I understand that people have the right to feel the way that they do and that's the end of the story. I am extremely offended by the use of the word "slimey". A christian that approaches you is not looking to gain something. Most could care less if ever came to their church. In their mind they are offering a gift that is more precious than anything in this world. A true Christian's love for mankind causes them to desire to share the free gift of salvation to all who will hear. You never know who will hear, until you ask. "Slimey" is a better term for playing a privately owned course, and while you are there, the owner comes up and tries to sell you a tent-time-share on their land for a flat rate. A christian that approaches someone about Jesus has nothing to gain from the conversation and they are doing it out of sincere love. Most people who are annoyed with this fail to see the true intent.

Secondly, if the church owns the property, you have the choice to play there or not. That's a personal decision. But I cannot for the life of me understand how someone would attend a tourney at a church-course and then be offended if a prayer was offered.

Lastly, those that are worried about being "preached to" need to find their own peace. I can listen to an atheist lecture and not be offended. While I might disagree, that's how the atheist believes and he is entitled to his freedom of thought. 99% of the time someone who is annoyed when approached about Jesus, is annoyed because they either a) had a negative prior experience with a church, or b) any sort of "preaching" causes a rousing of guilt. If you don't believe in Jesus, that's you're prerogative, but there is no need to diminish the efforts of others who actually see religion as a purpose for their life.

In short, in my opinion a disc golf course is a disc golf course. No matter where it is. But if it is on land owned by a church, no user of the course has the right to tell the church what they can and cannot do in regards to the course. The church paid for the installation of the course with money collected from the members. If they see it as an evangelical tool, that is their decision.

Latest posts