• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Circle Defined ...

Since I've never seen a course with a 10 meter circle painted around every target, just how exactly is everyone supposed to agree on whether it was officially putting distance or not? Just saying ..

Since I've never seen a course with a 10 meter circle painted around every target, just how exactly is everyone supposed to agree on whether it was officially putting distance or not? Just saying ..
Perhaps you've heard of a fancy high tech tool called a tape measure. I've carried one in my bag for years. It also doubles as a handy device for determining CTP's and for poking discs out of trees.

I've seen them. In fact, I've painted those circles before.

The reality is that most people, inside the circle or somewhat outside the circle, maintain their balance after putting. So it's rarely of great concern that you can't readily tell exactly where 10 meters is.

Perhaps you've heard of a fancy high tech tool called a tape measure. I've carried one in my bag for years. It also doubles as a handy device for determining CTP's and for poking discs out of trees.

I'm a pretty recreational type player so it certainly would never be an issue for me, I was genuinely curious though as I am sure the pros are dead serious about the rules given the stakes. Yet I've never seen anyone pull out a tape measure on the many Tour videos I've watched. Maybe no pros ever jump putt from anywhere near 10m?

Players who start jumping right at 10m are very rare. Personally i line my putt up, and if its a jump putt i double check with my group, "this is outside the circle, correct?". No one has ever argued or disagreed with my assesment. Painting the circle is common in tournement play, but not universal. I can step off 10 m within about a foot of accuracy.

I'm a pretty recreational type player so it certainly would never be an issue for me, I was genuinely curious though as I am sure the pros are dead serious about the rules given the stakes. Yet I've never seen anyone pull out a tape measure on the many Tour videos I've watched. Maybe no pros ever jump putt from anywhere near 10m?

Pretty much. Id say the average is probably about 40 feet for those that jump putt. Once you get an eye for it seeing the difference between 10m and 40-45 feet its pretty easy to just know without needing to double check.

Generally if I feel like I'm pretty close to 10m, I won't jump putt. That means in a tourney, I'll get a consensus from the group as to whether or not I can jump putt. I usually will jump putt if I am less than 80', as my mid range game is a complete joke.

The same comes true when it comes to falling putts when you're on a knee (or both knees). Inside the circle you can't fall in front of the lie. Big guys like myself have to work hard on maintaining their balance when stuck with one of these type of putts inside 10m.

I just joined the PDGA myself, but am still quite a noob/rec when it comes to these specifics (10m circle, 2m rule, foot faults, etc.).

However, you'll never see me step putt. I just find it really hard to tell if that foot comes down before the lie from outside the circle.

Latest posts