• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Clash at Renny Gold

charris414

Eagle Member
Thought I'd offer up a review on this new disc golf DVD. First off, it's produced by the same crew that brought us the 2006 USDGC Lead Card DVD which was arguably among the best disc golf DVDs ever produced. Clash - Renny Gold is right up there as well.

It's hosted by Billy Crump, who also hosted the USDGC DVD, Stan McDaniel, the course designer of Renny Gold, and Alan Beaver, a long-time and highly respected disc golfer in North and South Carolina. The knowledge that these gentlemen impart is insightful, humorous, and easy to listen to, as they know the competitors very well, and have an easy rapport with them during several "in-game" interviews. Billy Crump should be involved in the commentating of every disc golf DVD from here on out - he truly is fantastic at getting his counterparts and the competitors to speak up and offer their opinions.

The competitors are Climo, Feldberg, and Doss as The Untouchables versus Schwebby, Schultz and Timmy Gill (the driving factor behind discgolftv.com) as The Touchers. All six are among the very elite our sport has to offer, and since they all know each other well, there is a lot of good natured ribbing that lightens the overall mood. The format is triples, which was an inspired decision, as it allows one teammate to play safe, and two to take high risk-high reward shots, which leads to some really amazing shot selection.

The camera work is, for 95% of the time, outstanding. There are just a few instances where the cameras only follow the player and not the disc, or due to the sun's glare, lose the disc altogether. However, these are minor gripes as the primary camera is set up on a tripod, and is of high quality. The secondary camera is a "player cam" which catches the competitors discussing just about everything.

Last but not least, is the primary benefactor of this DVD - Renaissance Gold. Renny Gold is simply one of the greatest courses I've ever seen, on video or in person. It is long, alternately tight and wide open, with extreme elevation changes, and amazing tees and greens. It is over 9000' long, with a pro par of 70. This is the real future of disc golf course design. Anyone thinking about putting in a course should buy this DVD and study each hole for ideas. Timmy Gill plays the course blind, and just 4-5 holes in, Crump asks him for his thoughts, and Gill says that it's one of the best he's ever played. And the next 14 holes live up to that expectation.

A couple final points... First, I've read that this is the first in a series of three. Well, I hope that they do more than three, because this is just a great DVD from the players involved, the course, and the production. Second, since Renny Gold is in Charlotte, NC, the producers filmed footage of Michael Johansen and David Wiggins, Jr at the other 3-4 courses in the city - which are all exemplary. Crump and McDaniel give a shout out to Warwick Town Park early on for the use of dual baskets and dual tees, and although it's implied, for the overall difficulty of Warwick's blue-blue layout.

And most importantly ... Stan McDaniel gives a shout out to The Frizzaks (some of my homeboys from Norwalk, CT who used to live in Charlotte) for helping shore up one of the greens on the course.

Guess it's no wonder I had to buy this from Zonedriven as Marshall Street was sold out...

Yup its sick. They make the course look easy.

Barrys shot for two on that one uphill hole is nasty.

The footage of Michael Johansen and David Wiggins Jr is good. They tear up the courses they play.

I think JoJo's and Wiggin's footage is somewhat dubious, in that they probably threw several shots on each hole and edited together the best of the bunch. Especially JoJo's footage on Renny Original, while just being able to throw all those shots is incredible, I highly doubt that he thre them all back to back.

What's really disgusting is that The Touchers missed one birdie, and The Untouchables missed two. Just unreal what those six guys do to that course.

Im sure that they took multiple takes of Wiggins and Johansen, but those shots are still impressive. I doubt it took more than 5 takes for the more difficult shots. I also wanted to chime in and say though Renny Gold is not as good as the USDGC 06 Live (IMO), it is definitely a step up from disc golf DVDs in the past. Though Ive only been playing for a couple years, I watched a lot of the old videos and these Crump-produced features are right up there with the MSDGC DVDs as far as quality, commentating, and ability to watch repeatedly.

I would highly recommend buying this DVD.

Aaron_D said:
I own it...I watch it nearly every day. Best 9 bucks Ive ever spent.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm glad I have 12 or so vids to rotate.

It's a great dvd. I bought 2 - one to keep and one to give away at our next tournament. For $10, it's a fantastic deal.

In my mind, it's better than the MSDGC series if only because the announcers cater to my preference which is disc golf talk. What disc did he throw? How was the course made? Stuff like that vs "Wow! What a shot!" and humor driven commentary. MSDGC isn't bad by any means, just my preference.

Same reason I love the USDGC Lead Card Live.

I'm hoping there will be another one of those, but haven't seen or heard anything.

Timmy Gill seemed to be throwing a lot of FLX plastic in this video. You could see him bend the discs very significantly during his routine. Did anyone else notice this?

In my opinion, the best drive on the entire video is Schwebby's thumber. I don't remember which hole it is, but the shot is nasty.

It's amazing. I've played Renny--started on gold but gave up after three, maybe four holes to play the rest of the "regular" course--and I never thought of a thumber on that hole. It just never even crossed my mind that someone could make that shot.

perhaps its cuz they've never filmed renny
perhaps its cuz its hard to film

but i'm wanting more from the camera in this film than other disc golf films.

Are there some good things to be learned from it? I just started a few months ago and play as much as I can. I'm really trying to become a student of the game. I know it's not an instructional video - but are there things to be learned from it, or is it just so far beyond anything the average player can do that you wont gain much from it other than entertainment?

Its' nice to "ohhhh & ahhh'' don't get me wrong, probably would get me mad motivated for the ice bowl this weekend =)

Just entertainment. But man, it's fun watching some of those shot. Like Feldberg trying to throw around the tower on #2. Or that monster chip in by Barry on #9 (?).

Latest posts