• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Classic aviar

I'll throw in that if you like the feel of a Classic Aviar but want a little bit grippier plastic, an SS or Eraser Gateway Warlock would be an option. An R Pro Aviar is going to be floppy soft, which might not be what you are looking for.

I'd just keep throwing the Classic Aviar, though. The Warlock feels similar in the hand but it is beefier in flight.

This thread is funny since I ask a bunch of questions I know the answer to now. I guess I hadn't found any Classic Aviars in 2014? I've got a few now. They got close to making my bag but got cut in favor of Warlocks. Warlocks have big bead Aviar beef with the beadless smooth release. I can't figure out why more people don't throw them.

If I couldn't get Warlocks I'd be using Classic Aviars. Or maybe Wizards. Damn, there are too many good putters out there!

Agreed, beadless Aviar in awesome base plastic that is a dime a dozen? Might be because it's hiding in the shadow of the Wizard. Heck, I wonder the Warlock is even the second best selling putter by Gateway.

Funny that the warlock came up here. Just got one from a tourney because it felt so similar in hand to a classic. It's ss plastic but pretty stiff, the flight plate isn't as firm as a classic though which is what I like best. It does fly quite a bit beefier than a classic, about in the BB aviar stability zone.

I'm sticking to classics for now, but the warlock might go in the bag for a bit on the overstable short shots. I have been using a zone but it's too overstable lots of times for me.

I'm sticking to classics for now, but the warlock might go in the bag for a bit on the overstable short shots. I have been using a zone but it's too overstable lots of times for me.

I like to carry a d line P2 for those kind of shots. Similar feel to the aviar but a little less glide and a little more overstable finish.

Been digging the classic aviar this fall. Haven't had much time to practice but once I got over the deeper feel (compared to other putters I used this year - been trying to find 'the one' beadless putter for me) it's been consistent and very fitting for me.

Agreed, beadless Aviar in awesome base plastic that is a dime a dozen? Might be because it's hiding in the shadow of the Wizard. Heck, I wonder the Warlock is even the second best selling putter by Gateway.
The Magic is the #2 Gateway putter by quite a bit. The Voodoo/Warlock are kinda lost in the mix between the Wizard and the Magic. Warlocks are a disc geek secret that just gets overlooked. If you HAD to have a beadless putter they would actually pair with a Classic Aviar as a beefy/wind option. They don't feel identical in the hand but close enough.

The Magic is the #2 Gateway putter by quite a bit. The Voodoo/Warlock are kinda lost in the mix between the Wizard and the Magic. Warlocks are a disc geek secret that just gets overlooked. If you HAD to have a beadless putter they would actually pair with a Classic Aviar as a beefy/wind option. They don't feel identical in the hand but close enough.

I need to throw the Warlock more, I've almost strictly used it as a putting putter. I've used a KC Aviar or Wizard as a stable to OS driving putter and a beat light DX Aviar P&A for US short drives. A throwing Warlock may work for all of em.

The Magic is a very nice disc. I liked it a lot on approaches, and probably could've learned to putt well with it. I have an SS Warlock (and a couple of Wizards), and the Magic felt better to me. That's just me, YMMV.

Yeah, but the Magic looks like and Aviar and an 86 Softie had a baby. :sick: It's not really going to feel like a Classic Aviar in the hand, so we can't hijack the Classic Aviar thread with Magic talk. That's where the Warlock comes in...

The P2 is suposed to be like a Discmania, Innova side brand, a very similar disc to a Classic Aviar. These P2 come in premium plastic types like S=Star and C=Champion. So if you wanted a grippy Classic Aviar the P2 S line is such a disc, if you wanted a Hard plastic for the Classic Aviar The P2 C line is such a disc best for a driving/approach putter. If you liked the Clasic Aviar as a putter but wish it had different plastic for it, these are the discs for you.

The P2 is deeper, though. It didn't feel good in the hand to me. Plus again like the Aviar P&A and the Warlock, it's beefier than a Classic Aviar by quite a bit. It's an option, though.

My mom uses a Classic aviar with the small bead, the one from 1999-2000 at 171 grams. A cousin gave it to my brother who then when my brother wanted a better putter evetually settling on a beat up Gator as his putter. Then she has but has yet to use as she has not played in ever a new Classic Aviar in same color with the grid even the same color and 171 grams I got her for Christmas. Rare to find not only same color Ivory, original is off white so very close but then to find same color as well was even more rare, I was just getting one in the same weight as the one she had, hoping to get a white or yellow then, rest was irrelevant. She also has a White Wham-O Touchline Putter My brother won in a 3 pack at a tournament at 173, 174, or 175 grams as the numbers are hard to read on the disc and the old Touchline Putter is like a Classic Aviar with the Wham-O rings on the flight plate, her name not on the disc. I also found a 10 time rainbow colored stamp white/off white KC Avair 175 grams on a course with only a first name on underside and since I do not use the disc I gave it to my mom. She uses that only if it is too windy for the Classic Grid Aviar's she uses.

The P2 is deeper, though. It didn't feel good in the hand to me. Plus again like the Aviar P&A and the Warlock, it's beefier than a Classic Aviar by quite a bit. It's an option, though.

Thanks, I was thinking about getting a C line P2 as a driving putter though I use my max weight 175 gram Star Shark for this option right now, I would get one as I had used my Lightning U-2 in Prostyle for this shot before and still ues the disc for uphill and downhill putting, but might get a Soft D Magnet to kick out the U-2 I currently use for this as I use 2 Jawbrakers and a old Stiff Pro D Magnet as my main putters. I also am thinking of just using the Jawbraker Magnets as my uphill and downhill putter as well as regular putters as the Jawbreaker one can do a lesser uphill and downhill just get new ones when my current ones go soft and keep one of the two of what is now my current Jawbreakers at home as a backup.

Thanks, I was thinking about getting a C line P2 as a driving putter though I use my max weight 175 gram Star Shark for this option right now, I would get one as I had used my Lightning U-2 in Prostyle for this shot before and still ues the disc for uphill and downhill putting, but might get a Soft D Magnet to kick out the U-2 I currently use for this as I use 2 Jawbrakers and a old Stiff Pro D Magnet as my main putters. I also am thinking of just using the Jawbraker Magnets as my uphill and downhill putter as well as regular putters as the Jawbreaker one can do a lesser uphill and downhill just get new ones when my current ones go soft and keep one of the two of what is now my current Jawbreakers at home as a backup.

Next time you're near the threshold for free shipping, add a DX (or XT) Whale to your order and give it a try for funsies. If it doesn't work out, pay it forward. If it does work out, enjoy putting with it.

Next time you're near the threshold for free shipping, add a DX (or XT) Whale to your order and give it a try for funsies. If it doesn't work out, pay it forward. If it does work out, enjoy putting with it.

The Magnets are my Putting Putter as of late 2005, Just got new of those in Jawbracker so no need to change. If they made the Hydra on more then just the R-Pro as the production plastic I might get one as a putter if it was in XT plastic to see if that disc is right for me, like a Magnet. I am Good with the Magnet and do not see myself using another putter to putt with, maybe a Hydra first if the Magnet is stopped being made but I do not see that either as they sell them in starter packages.

P2 is definitely deeper and a different profile, and more stable. I tried it but didn't like it ultimately.

I don't like it for putting but for drives/approaches I find it to feel similar enough. Classic aviars are actually pretty stable even for drives, so the P2 isn't even part of my normal loadout.

With this discussion of putters that come close but are not quite similar, is there any other putter that is like the Classic Aviar in feel and flight? There are some great straight flyers like Yetis, Novas, Pures, etc. that each have a different feel. Meanwhile there are others with a similar feel that fly straight but have that noticeable extra fade. I usually use Classic Aviars up to 240 feet or so; would other putters fly more like Classics if I threw them with more power?

I just got 2 175g Yellow Classic Aviars, and am thinking they might be useful as straight putters and a great compliment to my Rhynos, if only I could get over the beadless feel. I really like the plastic and wish I could find some Rhynos in that blend. One is penned and the other is embossed which means at least one was a fairly recent run.

With this discussion of putters that come close but are not quite similar, is there any other putter that is like the Classic Aviar in feel and flight? There are some great straight flyers like Yetis, Novas, Pures, etc. that each have a different feel. Meanwhile there are others with a similar feel that fly straight but have that noticeable extra fade. I usually use Classic Aviars up to 240 feet or so; would other putters fly more like Classics if I threw them with more power?
So I'm not sure why, but Classic Aviars have a weird HSS/LSS thing. They don't generally filp early unless you put one on an Anny line or roll you wrist, something like that. They don't really fade, though. I mean everything I throw fades some, but the Classic Aviar doesn't fade very much.

What you get when you compare them is discs that DO turn early and then don't have a bunch of fade or discs that won't turn early but then DO have a hefty dump at the end. So it's this odd combo of flying like an OS putter early and an US putter late. They are pretty unique like that from my experience and can be really useful if you can, you know...aim? The reason I don't throw them is that I can't aim worth a damn and it's easier to take hyzer runs with something that will dump than to try to actually throw the direction I want a disc to go. If you are actually a decent golfer and can get a disc to go more or less where you want it to, I can't think of any other discs that will fly more or less straight like that and feel like an Aviar.

You can get an Aero to fly like that, but an Aero is closer to a mid than a putter. I have heard that a Dart will do that, but I have not touched a Dart in years and wasn't really impressed when I did. Neither one of those feel like an Aviar in the hand. I did have an Ion that I remember being surprised how little fade it had, so maybe on the MVP putters is closer. Maybe an Anode or something like that? Just guessing, really. Maybe if we dangle some overmold bacon one of the MVP guys will chime in?

A Proxy is close in flight, but faster.

Great mix of HSS and little fade when thrown right.

Doesn't feel the same though.

A Proxy is close in flight, but faster.

Great mix of HSS and little fade when thrown right.

Doesn't feel the same though.

I'll second the Proxy. It's almost weird how they just kinda drop out of the sky at the end. Mine felt a little more shallow in the hand to me than the Aviar, though.

Warden is kinda similar, too, with maybe a tick more fade than the Proxy. Deeper though, feels a lot like the Aviar.