• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Classic aviar

... I prefer the deep-stamped ones. Hook me up!

2cols2r.jpg

Thread got me thinking and grabbed a mild worn classic grid very recent trade

I did this a couple minutes ago.
Scored bottom half of stamp. Pulled sets of two close lines flowing the pattern and a little extra avoiding obliterating the stamp. Quickly decided a junky blade with a little wiggle gave a more satisfying rut. Feels nice. Sensual.

I picked up a matching 3 set of these recently
I have to say I really like the flight. I can see these as making my bag in the summer but I can't say that I really like the plastic. It's nice and firm but what I call slippery. Anything less than 10C (no clue what that is in F but maybe 50 something) and the disc slips out from under my thumb.
The plastic strikes me as an affordable McPro

I have to say I really like the flight. I can see these as making my bag in the summer but I can't say that I really like the plastic. It's nice and firm but what I call slippery. Anything less than 10C (no clue what that is in F but maybe 50 something) and the disc slips out from under my thumb.

DX or XT?

Same for me

I like the disc a lot but mostly for the hot, humid weather. Classic aviars in the cold are a nightmare for me.

sidebar: the shamrock stamp solved the deep stamp issue for me

So... I built an all Innova bag and of course your thought when it comes to Innova is that the aviar is THE putter. When I saw a couple of old fright flight ones at PIAS $9 for the pair, I jumped on it and decided to try them for the first time in 5 years.

The ones I got are not classic Aviars exactly, but this thread was closest.

Now I'm here to thrash the Aviar. It's the disc that taught me to hyzerflip and was my first real putter. But honestly in 2018, do people who have tried other putters still like the Aviar P&A?

It feels thick yet doesn't have great glide, stable but finniky holding a line. I didn't hate it, but it did make me miss my Atoms.

I have putted Wizards for the better part of a decade, and when I putt Aviars in the back yard they almost always float over the chains instead of into them. Same with Atoms but it's more of a "fly by" than a "float by" like the Aviar. I always felt the Atom was doing it due to its faster speed versus the slower, floaty Aviars. When I flirted with Atoms, they would just rip out of my hands on putts. I stopped using Atoms in the back yard completely because it was throwing off my Wizard putts. Never really had that issue with Aviars.

But honestly in 2018, do people who have tried other putters still like the Aviar P&A?

Some probably due. I think it depends on when you learned to putt well and what style you have.

I know some older players that putt with very classic aviar like discs. And there's Philo of course. They are great for that floaty slow putt.

If your putting more "modern?" you probably need something a tad more stable to handle the extra power your putting with. McPro, KC, JK, P2, P1x, Wizard, etc.

...tad more stable to handle the extra power your putting with. McPro, KC, JK, P2, P1x, Wizard, etc.

I'd say a classic aviar is at least as stable as a McPro, if not more HSS.

...But honestly in 2018, do people who have tried other putters still like the Aviar P&A?
Yup! I have soooooo many putter molds, way more than any other type of disc (mid, fairway, distance). I have all putters from Innova (except AvX3), Discraft, and Gateway. I have most from MVP/Axiom. I have other companies as well, like Vibram, etc. Point being that I have tried many of the other options on the market but still go back to Aviar PandAs.

I love Aviar PandA. I pair with Rhynos for a situationally dependent putting. PandAs get most of the tee shots, up shots, and putts, though.

Some probably due. I think it depends on when you learned to putt well and what style you have.

I know some older players that putt with very classic aviar like discs. And there's Philo of course. They are great for that floaty slow putt.

If your putting more "modern?" you probably need something a tad more stable to handle the extra power your putting with. McPro, KC, JK, P2, P1x, Wizard, etc.

I do have a snappy putt, a while back I wrote a piece on Ricky's putt for Untiworld and essentially adopted a similar style. I also like a shallower putter like a Swan or Atom that fit well in my hand.

So... I built an all Innova bag and of course your thought when it comes to Innova is that the aviar is THE putter. When I saw a couple of old fright flight ones at PIAS $9 for the pair, I jumped on it and decided to try them for the first time in 5 years.

Now I'm here to thrash the Aviar. It's the disc that taught me to hyzerflip and was my first real putter. But honestly in 2018, do people who have tried other putters still like the Aviar P&A?

It feels thick yet doesn't have great glide, stable but finniky holding a line. I didn't hate it, but it did make me miss my Atoms.

Putters are such a personal thing. There will be people out there who love the Aviar P&A, and that's okay. Those of us who found something else, like Dynamic Discs putters, are in our own putter heaven. To each, his/her own. :thmbup:

Try an XT Aviar. I've been putting with them the past few winters. They're beadless and shallower than most Aviars. I also love the feel of the plastic. I like having a good grip on my putter.

Yes but most use the P&A more as a driving putter in the premium plastics.Others use the Copies of a Aviar P&A from the other Innova Factory made discs to putt with rather then the Aviar simply because a standard Pro plastic for the disc is not currently being made but in the other companies it is with a very similar disc. The Firm DX plastic Classic Grid Aviar is used for more a putter/approach disc for players and the disc having a flat top more so then other putters is a good disc for putting if the player likes a flat topped disc. The Big Bead Aviar only seems to come for regular production in player named Pro plastic like the KC and JK Pro as well as the concave topped Yeti Aviar.

A Shallow disc like an Aviar is a Colt. The Cols is a shallow putter that is like the XD mold that was a shallow Aviar but the replacement is the Colt as the XD is currently OOP even on the Innova Disc Golf Pro Shop in the limited section.

Putters are such a personal thing. There will be people out there who love the Aviar P&A, and that's okay. Those of us who found something else, like Dynamic Discs putters, are in our own putter heaven. To each, his/her own. :thmbup:

Could say the same for players that like the Millennium Putters. Millennium has the Big Bead Omega, a putter like a Big Bead Aviar or Aviar Driver that is on more plastic then the Big Bead or Aviar Driver is currently run in. The Aviar Driver is only currently in full production run in the legendary Player plastics for full production run.

I have putted Wizards for the better part of a decade, and when I putt Aviars in the back yard they almost always float over the chains instead of into them. Same with Atoms but it's more of a "fly by" than a "float by" like the Aviar. I always felt the Atom was doing it due to its faster speed versus the slower, floaty Aviars. When I flirted with Atoms, they would just rip out of my hands on putts. I stopped using Atoms in the back yard completely because it was throwing off my Wizard putts. Never really had that issue with Aviars.
This reminded me of a guy who moved here briefly, he was a JK Aviar guy but we are 100 miles outside of St. Louis. Everybody here putts Gateway. We gave him Wizards and he was dialed in on the basket attachment, smacked them every time. He was so locked in with the JK Aviar he couldn't adjust for how Wizards drop and he would putt low every time.

Disc Golf World is closing, which makes me sad. Rick said Tuesday or Wednesday was his last day depending on how much stuff he had left to get rid of. It's like a non-story now, but there was a time when Disc Golf World was a big deal in disc golf. I decided to buy something so I'd get a box from Disc Golf World one last time. I ordered some of those Omega big beads, so I'll finally be able to tell if those are the old big bead mold or the Aviar X mold.