• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Climo wanted to call a penalty for this?

It's about competitiveness. I'd say calling that was chickensh!t, but there are some people for whom not losing is the prime directive.

And I'd say the round was over so spiking the disc could not be a practice throw or whatever complaint was given.

I wouldn't make the call but while Cale may have been done playing, others on the card may not have been and the celebration could have been distracting which could be considered a courtesy violation.

Climo was so competitive it was ridiculous. Feldberg once told me a story about how hardcore he was on winning at penny ante poker.

One of the Innova employees once told me about an event/convention in Florida attended by a lot of parks and rec people. Climo was there to help schmooze and he wanted to bet the other Innova guys he could break down and set up their booth faster than anyone else.

One of the Innova employees once told me about an event/convention in Florida attended by a lot of parks and rec people. Climo was there to help schmooze and he wanted to bet the other Innova guys he could break down and set up their booth faster than anyone else.

Apparently he was really good at ping pong and ball golf too and would gamble both sports with anyone while out on tour any chance he got.

I gotta imagine the days before cell phones and social media you'd find all sorts of cool things to do on tour during down time to pass the time.

And, yes, tossing a disc up to catch it is returning it to yourself. Just don't toss it more than 2.5 meters up, because 2.5 meters up plus 2.5 meters down is 5 meters in the air. That would be a practice throw.

That is only a 2.5 meter throw. Gravity is taking care of the other 2.5 meters. :D

I grew up learning to win at SF II without resorting to block + light kick.

DG rules are awful and if you're trying to get strokes on people by lawyering then I already dont like you.

If you can throw, throw. Otherwise STFU.

And, yes, tossing a disc up to catch it is returning it to yourself. Just don't toss it more than 2.5 meters up, because 2.5 meters up plus 2.5 meters down is 5 meters in the air. That would be a practice throw.

This doesn't seem a correct interpretation of the rule to me. At no other point would you calculate distance based on the path the disc travels. If someone says that they are calling a penalty because I returned a players disc to them when they were 4 meters away, but the disc also traveled 1 meter up and 1 meter down while it was in the air … I can't imagine anyone (other than Climo, maybe :D ) seconding that.

(I actually don't know what the up/down would need to be for the arc to be more than 5 meters over 4 meters of linear distance, but you get my meaning.)

Not that I think anyone is calling it these days.

Last edited:
When did they add the 5 meter thing? I recall people saying a major purpose of the rule was to stop players from practicing freestyle while waiting for their turn to throw. I don't recall this 5 meter or return to yourself shenanigans. Get off my lawn!

When did they add the 5 meter thing? I recall people saying a major purpose of the rule was to stop players from practicing freestyle while waiting for their turn to throw. I don't recall this 5 meter or return to yourself shenanigans. Get off my lawn!

Yea you can't really return a disc to yourself. He's just fidgiting.

In the OP Cale situation, as I understand it (I was there but didn't directly hear this), Climo didn't call Cale on a practice throw violation but simply asked someone if it was a practice throw. But his act of asking was eventually restated as him calling it out like a referee.

I guess this kind of begs the question - Given the rules at the time, would that have been a practice throw?

I guess this kind of begs the question - Given the rules at the time, would that have been a practice throw?
Probably could have been called a practice throw IF there were a way to measure the length of Cale's spike as greater than 2 meters without using video. Video evidence is still not allowed so I'm not sure there would have been a way to confirm that call. Even if video evidence was used, looks like he released it about waist level, and it landed about one stride in front of him which Pythagoras tells us is around 4 ft linear travel and maybe just 3 feet horizontally. It definitely was not thrown in the direction of a target where there was no minimum distance requirement in the 2006 Practice Throw rule.

Because the definition for the Completion of a Round meant that everyone in the group had to hole out and record scores, in theory, if Cale did throw it measurably farther than 2m without needing video evidence to confirm, it could have been a very unpopular practice throw call since the group hadn't written down scores yet. That video clip would be more legendary than it already is if there were an official on video, possibly Timmy Gill, with a tape measure determining whether Cale's release point to the spike mark on the ground (if found) was less or more than 2m.

IDK for sure, but under the rules at the time I think it would have been a practice throw if his round wasn't over.

Around the same timish, there was some video online of Bradley Williams holing out and then very obviously intentionally knocking his competitor's putter out of the air with his hand when his competitor was holing out. Williams laughed in his angry competitor's face. I don't think it was their last hole and they both took the penalty, but I recall wondering what if it had been the last hole? Would Brad have been immune to the penalty?

It seems like Climo wasn't that well liked as a person when he was touring.

Respected, yes, but the stories seem to paint the picture of a rough dude.

I have heard the same kinds of things that you have I am guessing. Seemed like he was kind of a jerk.

I have heard the same kinds of things that you have I am guessing. Seemed like he was kind of a jerk.

Not that he wasn't a jerk, but competition breeds a lot of negativity.

OTOH, many champions are narcissistic/ selfish. The environment around them rewards it.

Back in the day the players were scrapping for every dime they could get. The contracts weren't what they are now. I'm sure there were some shenanigans going on, lol.