• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Club Bag Tag Etiquette Question

You're right. You won it fair and square.

You also won the right to have your name dragged through the mud. For people to speak ill about you. For people to come up with by-laws bc some a-hole cares more about, literally #1, than the group that put the event on, every week. Congratulation on your win. Can't wait to never play with you. :cool:

Maybe if the group is upset they need to keep discs on hand to give out as participation trophies/players packs. Challenging for tags is ridiculous, the only people who ever complain about it are people who wouldn't legitimately be #1 anyway, they think because league is convenient in terms of schedule for them they should be able to manipulate the rules to be #1 when there are local pros who could easily beat them. The very small club I used to buy into every year started this when they can't even get 10 people to show up weekly, haven't bought a tag since. Not everyone has to eat, sleep, breathe disc golf, that mentality turns a lot of casuals away from weeklies and tournaments.

^^^ Agree with most of this. That's why I don't play leagues or have a tag. Instead, I run doubles for cash only. We payout and it doesn't matter where you're from. We generate between 15-30 everytime, no muss no fuss.

If you do play for tags, follow some tag etiquette. Same thing as being invited to someone's party you don't know by a friend. Don't show up and become the wasted jerk.

If you do play for tags, follow some tag etiquette. Same thing as being invited to someone's party you don't know by a friend. Don't show up and become the wasted jerk.

Yes.

The title of the thread is etiquette. It is about etiquette, which is a nice way of saying "informal rules on not being a dick".

Yes you earned a #1 tag ... ONCE. The whole F-ing point of tags is to have something to play for regularly all year long. It would be like an NHL player getting his turn with the Stanly Cup and saying ... I won this its mine get another.

Etiquette FFS. Its like holding the door for an old lady. Sure you opened the door for yourself, you got there first you earned the right to go through and have every right to let the door slam in grandmas face. But doing that is rude and dickish. Some people don't have a problem being a dick and that is unfortunate. Many others realize Tag rounds are supposed to be a fun way to make regular rounds competitive and give people something to brag or shoot for... week after week. Its unfortunate so many places need to institute formal anti-Dbag rules for something so simple. But I guess I have seen signs on trains that have to remind people to let passengers off the train before you try and step on, so I shoudn't be so surprised.

Yes.

The title of the thread is etiquette. It is about etiquette, which is a nice way of saying "informal rules on not being a dick".

Yes you earned a #1 tag ... ONCE. The whole F-ing point of tags is to have something to play for regularly all year long. It would be like an NHL player getting his turn with the Stanly Cup and saying ... I won this its mine get another.

Etiquette FFS. Its like holding the door for an old lady. Sure you opened the door for yourself, you got there first you earned the right to go through and have every right to let the door slam in grandmas face. But doing that is rude and dickish. Some people don't have a problem being a dick and that is unfortunate. Many others realize Tag rounds are supposed to be a fun way to make regular rounds competitive and give people something to brag or shoot for... week after week. Its unfortunate so many places need to institute formal anti-Dbag rules for something so simple. But I guess I have seen signs on trains that have to remind people to let passengers off the train before you try and step on, so I shoudn't be so surprised.

Your post gave me an idea....

Lesgue directors can have a "#1 D-Bag tag" and give it to the drive bys if they so happen to defeat the actual #1. Ah, the fun that will arise when the dbag learns of their non-status haha

I would love to get some thoughts on the following scenario....

Mike is traveling out of state and while on the road he plays in a club's weekly bag tag challenge. He purchases one of the club's tags and ends up shooting a hot round and wins the clubs #1 tag. When the league director hands Mike the #1 tag, he asks Mike if he will be back for next week's tag challenge. Mike states that he is leaving the area the next day and will not be returning to the area. The league director then asks Mike if he would leave the #1 tag and take a different # so it could be in play for future weekly challenges.

What should Mike do in this situation?

This has happened to me before....I won the #3 tag the day I signed up at a course a few hours up the road from me. The club gave me a 00 tag rather than a number. :thmbdown:

If I do get another tag from that club I'm going to tell them I live nearby, otherwise WTH did I play/pay for? If the club is worried about some random guy swooping up the #1 tag they prolly shouldn't let non-locals play.

A couple of the tag leagues I play in now have gone to electronic tag assignment. DGS usually, around here. We all get generic tags without numbers and enter play and tag switches into a league page.
I have no idea how this would work, and when I googled it all it hit was your post in this thread. :| Can you give more detail on how this works? Thanks.

If I do get another tag from that club I'm going to tell them I live nearby, otherwise WTH did I play/pay for? If the club is worried about some random guy swooping up the #1 tag they prolly shouldn't let non-locals play.
The local club here has refused to sell tags to non-locals, and that pissed people off. We had people who went to college here and were members of the club; they graduated and moved then they couldn't have a tag. It was dumb. Tags are supposed to be a fun extra. Once they start pissing a lot of people off, they have become more hassle than they are worth.

The local club here has refused to sell tags to non-locals, and that pissed people off. We had people who went to college here and were members of the club; they graduated and moved then they couldn't have a tag. It was dumb. Tags are supposed to be a fun extra. Once they start pissing a lot of people off, they have become more hassle than they are worth.

Tags should be fun....You're right about that for sure.

It's super fun to pay for a tag....take the top spot....and then get some 00 tag in place of the number earned.

I have no idea how this would work, and when I googled it all it hit was your post in this thread. :| Can you give more detail on how this works? Thanks.

https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/Alztimers_2018

Disc Golf Scene has a league functionality. We simply ran it like a league. Anytime there was a challenge (two or more players), the league was set up to allow us to simply enter the names, course, date, scores and tags exchanged. I did not set up the league, but some old guy did, so it can't be too difficult.

Your post gave me an idea....

Lesgue directors can have a "#1 D-Bag tag" and give it to the drive bys if they so happen to defeat the actual #1. Ah, the fun that will arise when the dbag learns of their non-status haha

Sounds like the League Director would be the #1 D-bag, selling tags to out-of-towners and then getting mad when they take something they rightfully paid for. I don't understand this faulty logic, why is the onus on the person who paid money to do the right thing and not the person or club who took the money? Pretty simple, dont want the #1 tag to leave town then don't sell it to somebody travelling who will not be back. :doh:

Worst case offer him his money back for the #1 tag, dont rely on him doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

Sounds like the League Director would be the #1 D-bag, selling tags to out-of-towners and then getting mad when they take something they rightfully paid for. I don't understand this faulty logic, why is the onus on the person who paid money to do the right thing and not the person or club who took the money? Pretty simple, dont want the #1 tag to leave town then don't sell it to somebody travelling who will not be back. :doh:

Worst case offer him his money back for the #1 tag, dont rely on him doing it out of the goodness of his heart.

I see your point. However, I find it statistically improbable, at the best, to declare the #1 player in a group to in fact be the best based one a singular one-on-one match. A true #1 should want to prove they are in fact the best....that's the point of a bag tags league and why it's not called "bag tags single match".

Again, this problem is erased by the solution in my earlier post.

I see your point. However, I find it statistically improbable, at the best, to declare the #1 player in a group to in fact be the best based one a singular one-on-one match. A true #1 should want to prove they are in fact the best....that's the point of a bag tags league and why it's not called "bag tags single match".

Again, this problem is erased by the solution in my earlier post.

Nobody is arguing that having the #1 tag means you are the #1 player, not sure where that is coming from. Anybody can have a hot day and win a nice tag # which is part of the fun of bag tags.

My point is all the hate directed at the person who was offered to join the tag league, paid their money to join, won a nice tag # and won't return. A lot of people placing all the etiquette blame on the player and not the Club/League Director. So quick to take his money nobody bothered to explain how the tags work? Shame on the Club for creating this situation. Real easy to ask him/her if they plan on playing the league every week before selling them on a tag. How about some bag tag etiquette for the Club/Director?

If you sell somebody a bag tag then it is within their rights to take ownership of it, be it tag #1 or tag #57. Don't try to guilt them into giving it back while you still have their money in your pocket. Either buy it back or live with your earlier decision.

So quick to take his money nobody bothered to explain how the tags work? Shame on the Club for creating this situation. Real easy to ask him/her if they plan on playing the league every week before selling them on a tag. How about some bag tag etiquette for the Club/Director?

Exactly the kind of point I've been making. This entire situation could easily be resolved and avoided had someone laid down the rules and expectations ahead of time - and it doesn't sound like that happened. Apparently, that's incredibly difficult for some here to do...I mean writing up 4 or 5 sentences is...gosh...SO much work. :|

As a traveling player, there is no tag that is THAT important to me. Though, it is likely that it is THAT important to the guys playing all the time for those tags. I have heard all of the opinions that stand on principle, and most are correct, but my principles would not allow for me to take the top tag. If my ego needed to be sated, I might try to trade the tag for some club emblazoned mini or towel.

A couple of the tag leagues I play in now have gone to electronic tag assignment. DGS usually, around here. We all get generic tags without numbers and enter play and tag switches into a league page.

We have physical tags for the keepsake but also track our tag matches on DGS.
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2018_DisCap_Bag_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards

It's cool to have years of history.
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2017_DisCap_Bag_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2016_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2015_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/DisCap_Tag_Challenge_2014/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2013_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2012_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2011_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/2010_DisCap_Tag_Challenge/leaderboards
https://www.discgolfscene.com/leagues/DisCap_Tag_Challenge_2009

Why would someone buy something they don't know the details of? That doesn't make sense either. If there are questions regarding the purchase, it is the consumers responsibility to ask, and the seller's responsibility to answer truthfully

Latest posts