• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cold weather gloves ?

Rickcin

Bogey Member
Guess for those who play in colder climates gloves are used and if so, is it necessary to buy specific disc glove gloves?

What brand/supplier would be recommended?

I'm not in a cold weather climate....but I do have Friction Gloves. You can buy them as a single glove (just for throwing hand) or a pair.

Pro: gives you a good grip on the disc in cold or wet weather. Thickness is similar to a driving glove.
Con: not extremely warm. Can't operate phone (touch screen) while wearing the glove. Affects grip.....since your skin is not touching the disc, you can end up applying too tight of a grip on the disc since there is not much 'touch feedback' on how tightly you are gripping. Wearing the glove to throw takes some field work to get familiar with it.

Suggestion: I have see videos of pros that throw in cold weather, they mostly seem to wear gloves or mittens, and take the glove off their throwing hand when they actually throw.

I do have a rechargeable handwarmer in my bag for the rare times I play in cold weather (for me anything 60 degrees and below).

I'm not in a cold weather climate....but I do have Friction Gloves. You can buy them as a single glove (just for throwing hand) or a pair.

Pro: gives you a good grip on the disc in cold or wet weather. Thickness is similar to a driving glove.
Con: not extremely warm. Can't operate phone (touch screen) while wearing the glove. Affects grip.....since your skin is not touching the disc, you can end up applying too tight of a grip on the disc since there is not much 'touch feedback' on how tightly you are gripping. Wearing the glove to throw takes some field work to get familiar with it.

Suggestion: I have see videos of pros that throw in cold weather, they mostly seem to wear gloves or mittens, and take the glove off their throwing hand when they actually throw.

I do have a rechargeable handwarmer in my bag for the rare times I play in cold weather (for me anything 60 degrees and below).
Good point, when throwing a disc, it's in your hand for seconds so why not have regular warm that will keep your hands warm the entire time Your playing!

Too awkward for me to wear a glove on throwing hand. Light glove on non throwing hand, between throws throwing hand in hoodie pocket. My big thing is keeping my head warm.

I throw with a friction glove all year but I use a hand warmer in the winter also. I see there's an insulated version of the friction glove out now so I'll probably give that a try.

I don't wear gloves for use while throwing, although Frictions Gloves exist.

I wear a light glove on my non-throwing hand. A handwarmer in a hoody kangaroo pocket keeps my throwing hand warm enough.

Pretty much this! Keep your throwing hand in a pocket with a warmer and you won't need gloves

I wear golf gloves in the winter. And remove the glove from my throwing hand when it is time to throw.

I picked up a pair of rechargeable hand warmers from Amazon this year and will try them out when the cold weather hits.

Those rechargeable hand warmers were a game changer for me for winter golf. I used to get those Hot hands things, which work OK. The foot warmer ones were better. The rechargeable ones are so much warmer and WAYYY cheaper in the long run. Highly recommend them.

As to the OP, I've tried friction gloves but they never really clicked for me. I don't wear any gloves in the winter. Just rotate the hand warmer between pockets as needed. And try to always pick my disc out of the snow with my left hand. YMMV, but this works great for me.

Putting a glove on and of is so impractical. Im gonna try a hand warmer this winter.
Good quality mittens are the way to go. They go on and off easily and are much warmer than gloves. You can probably fit a hand warmer inside.
I have played many times when it is under 20 degrees with no problem and I don't use a hand warmer.

Kind of depends on your version of cold. A vote for pockets and hand warmers. I am not fan of rechargeable, I don't want that much weight in my pockets. Hot Hands are much lighter. Gloves certainly work, but getting them on and off and inevitably losing one. Once I get out and start playing, I honestly find my hands warm up and I don't really even need the hand warmers.

Like others have said, I can't throw with a glove on my hand. I buy the larger size disposable hand warmer and carry it in my right jacket pocket and put my hand in it between throws. Hand stays warm and I don't have to deal with a glove.

To follow-up my previous post ....

I like Friction gloves in wet weather. It gives me a better grip and sometimes you can't just towel dry a disc well enough.

The hand warmer is a great choice as it can keep you warm along with your hand. I don't keep my handwarmer in my pocket....it stays in my bag, in a spot where it won't fall out. When I finish throwing, I grab the warmer and walk to my disc with it in my hand....then back into the bag it goes. I like the rechargeable one I have (it was a gift and I don't recall the brand) as it can also be used as a power bank to charge my phone if needed. For really cold weather, I have a heated vest, and I can just stick my hand inside the vest to keep it warm. Regular gloves or mittens are nice, but you have to take it off AND remember to pick it back up again (or stick it in your bag in a way it won't fall out).

Kind of depends on your version of cold. A vote for pockets and hand warmers. I am not fan of rechargeable, I don't want that much weight in my pockets. Hot Hands are much lighter. Gloves certainly work, but getting them on and off and inevitably losing one. Once I get out and start playing, I honestly find my hands warm up and I don't really even need the hand warmers.

That much weight? It's not a jet pack, it's a hand warmer lol.

Flying The Rocketeer GIF

:p

Flying The Rocketeer GIF

Shrug....I play with an outer layer of a fleece vest, in most cold weather situations. Playing with one or two "deck of cards" in those pockets is bothersome, compared to a pair of hot hands. I have, and use, rechargeable hand warmers, for less athletic outdoor adventures, they are great. I don't really play disc golf with much in any of my pockets, outside of a mini....maybe it is just me.
I just played Toboggan.....the jet pack is a great idea to get up and down those hills.

I personally find that hot hands are unpredictable and inconsistent. I would barely notice 3 ounces in each pocket so the trade off seems worth it to me.

I agree though, some days My hands stay warm enough without external heat source. Some days gloves are counter productive because my hands sweat and the glove becomes wet, causing my hands to become colder. So I am hoping the rechargeable ones are a good solution.

Good quality mittens are the way to go. They go on and off easily and are much warmer than gloves. You can probably fit a hand warmer inside.
I have played many times when it is under 20 degrees with no problem and I don't use a hand warmer.
I use the short fingered gloves/mitten combos. They work perfect.

Flying The Rocketeer GIF

It's a noticeable difference. As my body turns through the throw the extra weight (yes it isn't a huge amount) I can feel the weight of the hand warmer shift. That's why I don't keep it in my pocket for my throws.

Latest posts