• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Collegiate Disc Golf

Geoffro

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Several threads in the past have addressed the idea of getting disc golf accepted as an Olympic sport. Petitions have been signed, etc. I believe that the best way to move our sport forward is advance it through college-level teams and competitions. The PDGA website has an article on this right now - check it out:

http://pdga.com/collegiate-disc-golf

I was pretty excied when I read that article on the PDGA website. Hopefully the sport will grow at the collegiate level. Makes me want to transfer schools, just to play DG on a college team :D

Any college could start a club team and would have to pay or raise the money to compete, travel and for equipment. Most schools don't want to sponsor sports that don't make them money.

As much as I would like it to be, I doubt most colleges would accept discgolf as a sponsored sport. A thing called Title IX is killing off mens NCAA sports programs, so there would also have to be a womens program. When I was in college, we had to fight to keep our mens swim program because there were more mens teams than womens and the school had to drop a program. The school ended up dropping the mens track team just because of Title IX. Its so stupid!

Ultimate flourishes at colleges as a club sport, so a transition to DG could go really well if supported by the students and local DG clubs.

Cough... Did you know? The University of Oregon has a disc golf Club already. they also have 2 classes on the records... Disc Golf 101 and Disc Golf 102

Who is the coach you ask? Why none other than Dave Feldberg

DiscGolfOregon.com is currently selling shirts, and raising funds to donate to the UofO Disc Golf Club.

:D

Western Kentucky University (in Bowling Green, KY) had a very active college disc golf club when I was there. Occasionally there were regional tournaments with schools from Indiana, Illinois and Kentucky.. I'm sure that other schools have teams as well.. It seems like it is a regional thing... Maybe one day it will be at the level that colleges are competing from all across the country for a national championship in disc golf.

College Disc Golf Midwest Style

Upper Midwest Collegiate Disc Golf Association (UMCDGA) is a group of schools in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area who for the last couple of years have gotten together to compete. The schools here that have taken part in these tournaments are, University of Minnesota, St. Cloud University, Bethel and from the UW system... UW Madison, UW Stevens Point, UW Oshkosh, UW Stout, UW Whitewater UW Eau Claire UW Milwaukee. Last year 6 school hosted tournaments and there were 2 tournaments ran by the UMCDGA, one of these taking place at none other but Highbridge. From what I hear about the Oregon College Disc golf is they are trying to take what we have here in Wisconsin and turn it into something even better and more competitive. (UW Stout and Oshkosh's former Presidents are both out at Oregon this year helping start out your club.) I am the new President of Oshkosh. We are trying to get as many schools in the area to come to our tournaments. It is tough however to compete when there are PDGA Tournys at the same time. The National Collegiate tourny sounds interesting but I am not sure if they accept anything but Division 1 schools into it. I emailed the contact on there over a month ago and still have gotten no response. If there is one thing the UMCDGA has done for sure it has gotten college disc golfers together to form new friendships and great weekends of disc golfing memories. Being from Wisconsin our season while in school is short however we do have a tourny coming up in Feb hosted by the UWSP Ace Holes. Snow Throw Massacre in Stevens Point WI Feb 21st. Alot of the clubs in the UMCDGA gets money from their school for travel expenses and tournaments and I'm sure if you formed a club at your college youd be able to do the same. Expecting it to become a NCAA sport tomorrow is a stretch, but ten years from now who knows.

i know of many colleges that have disc golf clubs but they dont compete...i guess someone should get them all together for a tourny or something to get this show on the road lol

last year we had several tournaments with over 70 people. We even had over 40 college kids compete in a tournament where there was over two feet of snow on the ground. We kept points throughout the whole year, both singles and team. The team event consisted of your top 4 players. Only taking the best three scores however for the rounds thrown at the tournament. I believe when it was all said and done last year there was 100+ people who had competed in the singles in these events.

We are working on websites and other such stuff to expand the UMCDGA right now we have a group on yahoo and a group on facebook for people to find and get information on.

Good article.
I go to University of North Texas and am going to start trying to get an intramural league started. I already have a group on campus, but were just a Libertarian nerd club. Most of the fellows in the group play on a regular basis and the local courses are always packed with semi-pro college hippies, so I figure with enough organization it could really take off.

My buddy told me about that article last night, and I thought it was great. It would be even better if somehow we could get ESPN to pick up results on Sportscenter, or even maybe televise the world championships.

Latest posts