• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Columbus Wi - new mini course - review

Grinder12000

Birdie Member
Not sure how I get this into the database but we finally have ours up in Columbus Wisconsin.

Only 6 semi permanent holes with room to expand for 3 more for tournaments. The park is used for other events so it;s not open ALL the time.

Just so you can judge from MY experience. I've only obsessed over DG for a year, can drive RHFH 240.

Courses in the area I average
Crystal Lake Beaver Dam 58.5
Waterloo WI 18 hols 66.5
Hiestade Park Madison 64.4
Columbus WI 18 holes 63.2

Course Firemans Park

From Madison take 151 to first 73 exit, right on 73, LARGE 100 year old pavilion on right. Course starts are far side of Pavilion.

From Beaver Dam take 1st exit off 151 on to 73 south. Go through town, Pavilion on left.

All yardage approximate - Eagle Scout that designed the course did not actually PLAY DG that much and did not consult people on that do on final layout! Grass tees.

Hole 1: Long 460ish into prevailing westerlies. Very wind dependent 1st hole. Open, grip it and rip it.

Hole 2 - walk left along the road. I painted some arrows. Sort of a dog leg right. Playground mothers worry but not really an issue. Couple trees on the right forbid you from going right at the basket.

Hole 3. Another open shot towards for large oak trees, basket hidden behind 2nd oak on left. My best is to go the right for a better approach.

Hole 4 is near (too near but . . . what can ya do) the 4th basket. We moved it recently because the designer did not know that cars parked in the parking lot for the pool and wind would ALWAYS push disc into cars. SO

We moved the tee. Tricky tee shot under branches of said oaks. Need to veer left and then right towards creek. You can only see the top of the basket.

Hole 5 - The signature hole (if there is one). Creek on the left the whole way, need to go under tree about 170 out. Can't go left. Pin balling to the right. Not a deep creek. You will never lose a disc on this course.

Hole 6. My 1st hole in one (old beat up Valkyrie) . Short 180? 200? Few trees, a marsh.

I really don't think anybody knows we put this in so it's not played much yet. SO - how do I put this park on DG Course Review ????? Plus any suggestions please contact me. I'm an aldermen and another aldermen also plays and we have taken over control of the course.

[email protected]

Last edited:
Awesome! I'll definitely check this out next time I play BD or next time the temp course at speedway is up.

For ME, while it's wide open the wind currents and small micro eddies in that park make it more challenging then I first thought (especially #1). If you are in town check out Hydro Street Brewing near the clock tower - sort of an island bar, very casual and Aaron the brewmaster is an alderman/disc golfer and is always wanting to talk DG.

I painted where the tee boxes are to make things more clear. We had a few things stolen or taken out and lost over the winter with sleigh rallies.

We are both obsessed!! LOL

I've been anxious to see the course ever since I met with the group (designer, alders, you?) out at the park a couple of years ago to do a walkthrough. I'd be happy to add the course to the directory if you'd like, and then you or any other members can edit / add details later, such as actual measurements of hole lengths. Do you want the course just referred to as the name of the park (Firemans City Park), or do you guys have a different name for the course?

Yea - I was there walking through the mud and flooding! Firemans Park Columbus seems good. I have to find a wheely thing to measure real distances.

We had to move #4 because RHBH would throw over a parking lot and the westerlies would push the disc down into cars. RHFH disc would catch the air and push INTO The cars. #4 is a little close to #3 and sort of shares the fairway but until we find a viable option . . . .

I'm talking to DPW to plant some trees in front of the playground on #2. Not a real problem but scary for mothers who think we have absolutely no control.

Also looking for suggestions on how to teach/inform people who are new to the sport in Columbus. A class or something.

We have had a soft opening I guess.

Heck yea - I drew the areas for approximate tee boxes this morning and arrows to show where the next basket is.

Behind the Pavilion on the right looking at the pavilion.

Three 6 hole rounds takes about 1 hour 1.6 miles 3321 steps 157 calories!

#1 today would be a b*tch!

Where do you work???

Is this going to be pay to play?
We will actually pay YOU to play it.

No - open park to the public! It will be a constant battle on when you can play depending on what is going on in the park between Quinceañeras, proms, carriage rallies, and weddings.

You don't need to make a thread.

Well - it's a tad too late for that, what?

Umm just add it as a course. You don't need to make a thread.

Dang, I read the whole post thinking this was a "MINI DISC COURSE" but alas PA still has almost all of them. Still haven't played a permanent one.