• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Showing my age in saying this I guess, but the domey ones are the most Comety Comets, to me. There weren't flat Comets, until the second LE run of ESP Comets, and even then they were an anomaly. These days, they're the rule, rather than the exception...

You're right, though. The extra HSS in the domey ones does tend to lend to better low-lines, because you don't need the added height to account for how much more flippy the flat ones are, as well as the decrease in glide compared to the domey ones.

I will say, the flat ones have gotten more stable over the years. My Icon MJ ESP one is a lot more stable than the max weight flat LE ESP ones back in the day, so is the Cryztal Sparkle one I've got.
Yeah, I'm with you. The domey ones are the good ones.

Right around the time of the 2nd run LE's the X Comets were flat as well; I made enemies at Marshall Street complaining about flat X Comets I got in an order. The general talk amongst the Comet folks at the time was that these were squirrelly with less glide and to avoid them. I remember specifically talking to Blake complaining that I was pretty sure I was using the same motion and getting inconsistent results from the flat X Comets and he confirmed that he also felt they were squirrelly and hard to predict. I avoided flat Comets for a long time.

The flatter runs of Comets I have picked up recently are not particularly squirrelly and are a lot more useful than those old flat X Comets, so I've stopped totally avoiding them. I still prefer the domey ones.

I still am not really great at throwing the domey ones on a low line, though. I'm a pretend Comet guy. I like them and I throw them and I own a bunch, but there is a Roc patch on my bag. :|

What are Icon MJ's?

That's a term I've never heard, Icon is a Legacy plastic yet two people here used it.

If I understand correctly, they're the ones with the old school planet stamp.

Exactly, with swirls and they say MJ on em. There is also a run of big z with the retro stamp, no swirls.
picture.php

picture.php

The flatter runs of Comets I have picked up recently are not particularly squirrelly and are a lot more useful than those old flat X Comets, so I've stopped totally avoiding them. I still prefer the domey ones.

I had similar experiences around the same time. I did keep one stiff flat old X comet around for playing in the mountains. The thing didn't fill a much different role than I use the paradox for today. Not comet shots.

My main comet these days is the flatter 2018 MJ run that's not squirrely like early big Z or flatter esp/X. It never has been "too flippy" and rarely surprises me with more stability than I was anticipating.

Those are pretty. Almost look like ZESP. I have one of the icon ones, but never got a modern plastic saturn stamp. Pretty sure I still have a TP with the og stamp somewhere too.

I had similar experiences around the same time. I did keep one stiff flat old X comet around for playing in the mountains. The thing didn't fill a much different role than I use the paradox for today. Not comet shots.

My main comet these days is the flatter 2018 MJ run that's not squirrely like early big Z or flatter esp/X. It never has been "too flippy" and rarely surprises me with more stability than I was anticipating.
The '18 MJ's are what made me change my mind about flat Comets; I've had one in the rotation for several years now.

Spring is here and I'm excited that I can finally keep a grip on my Z Comets again. I didn't realize how much I missed them. Here we come!

PENsZ4Tl.jpg

I still am not really great at throwing the domey ones on a low line, though. I'm a pretend Comet guy. I like them and I throw them and I own a bunch, but there is a Roc patch on my bag. :|

I wasn't sure if it was just me, but I do tend to find that the flatter once behave a lot like low-speed fairway drivers that will take a low-line punch pretty well. I have a couple domier ones and they always seem to like a bit more loft at any distance (which I suppose makes aerodynamic sense).

Comet hive-mind: I really missed my Comets over the winter but Z plastic just didn't seem to stay in my hand. If I'd love to power hyzerflip Comets in the woods the winter, what plastic am I looking for? I'm seeing some reservations about older X, I've had ESP runs of other molds that can be either pretty grippy or slick, etc.

Comet hive-mind: I really missed my Comets over the winter but Z plastic just didn't seem to stay in my hand. If I'd love to power hyzerflip Comets in the woods the winter, what plastic am I looking for? I'm seeing some reservations about older X, I've had ESP runs of other molds that can be either pretty grippy or slick, etc.
So rambling old man answer Cliff's Notes: Friction Gloves. Full answer: I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands; my fingertips are always swollen and I haven't been able to actually feel a disc in my hands for the last four years. I wear the friction gloves and it gives me some grip back. Since you only have the problem in the winter, you will just look like a wimp wearing gloves in the cold. I have to look like a crazy old man wearing big knee braces and gloves in the summer; I'd trade ya. :|

So rambling old man answer Cliff's Notes: Friction Gloves. Full answer: I have rheumatoid arthritis in my hands; my fingertips are always swollen and I haven't been able to actually feel a disc in my hands for the last four years. I wear the friction gloves and it gives me some grip back. Since you only have the problem in the winter, you will just look like a wimp wearing gloves in the cold. I have to look like a crazy old man wearing big knee braces and gloves in the summer; I'd trade ya. :|

I have no issues looking like a wimp. I will just show them my angriest Comet as I slip on the glove. I'm sure my cardmates will quiver in fear until they snicker behind my back.

For flipping, if you don't like Z, your only real option is ESP. In Comets, ESP seems to be a bit slicker these days, but more middle-of-the-road than some. I like the old LE blends better than my Icon Comet, but I still like my Icon Comet.

X is too flippy. Just too flippy. It's also only available as old discs anymore, and the Comet hasn't been run in it for so long, that it isn't likely to be durable if you find one.

If you can find one, try a lighter weight. I've had to adapt to only being able to find max weight Comets, and I'm starting to like my Icon Comet, the more it beats in. It'll eventually be like my light weight LE ESP one, but it's going to take some work (and by work, I mean trees).

Those are pretty. Almost look like ZESP. I have one of the icon ones, but never got a modern plastic saturn stamp. Pretty sure I still have a TP with the og stamp somewhere too.

It's the older big Z... it is closer to a ZESP than a Z. I feel like my big Z meatball is closer to Z. If that makes any sense.

I'm also awaiting summer, I can put an elite X or 2 back into rotation, maybe a DX scorpion, shelve my lighter uplink... make my bag look more OG than OGyroFanboi

Looking at the Discraft website it doesn't look like there will be a tour Comet this year. Pretty disappointing.
- Wait I was looking at '22 where it doesn't show up as a tour series but they had one anyway

Last edited:
Looking at the Discraft website it doesn't look like there will be a tour Comet this year. Pretty disappointing.
- Wait I was looking at '22 where it doesn't show up as a tour series but they had one anyway
There isn't one for '23, either. Whether or not they do a later Icon Series run for MJ kinda depends on how well that run last year sold I guess.

If I can find a way to gain 120+ points on my rating and have a breakout tournament, maybe we'll get one sometime between now and 2026...if I don't manage it by then, I doubt it'll happen.

Had a nice wet slippy round today and now that I'm apparently a grip slip diva decided to go for the "all of the above" option to try an ESP Comet, Friction gloves, and wax and see what I like. Yes, I know this was at least 50% an excuse to buy disc golf stuff.

I still really miss the MJ Comet I lost and might circle back to that. Hope we see another run too. Been bummed to see the MJ Comet thread getting less attention these days. More Comet chatter is always good chatter!

I think the Icon run was released last fall? I'm sure they are still selling well, and we will see more.

I am probably the last one that needs more comets, but I bought 2 Icons when they came out.

They are still on sale ta GGGT if you like gambling with what swirls you will get. Got mine from them (before the sale :doh: ) and requested pink and got sweet pink white red swirls.

They are still on sale ta GGGT if you like gambling with what swirls you will get. Got mine from them (before the sale :doh: ) and requested pink and got sweet pink white red swirls.

Still plenty of Icon Comets to go around everywhere, but that sale price is pretty nice... Kinda rather pick my own disc, than get a cheap price though.