• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

looking to try and get a couple comets here in the next week or so, what do you guys think X, Z or ESP? I had a couple Z for bout 2 weeks but only threw it a couple times and then traded them like an idiot b/c i didnt think i would use it over my worn bar stamp buzzz but now im throwing rocs agian and would love to try and pair the comet with it and see how it does.. heard really good things about Elite-X

If you can get a hold of an ESP I say go for that. It will take some time to beat in but once it does it will stay tasty a long time. X's are great for turn overs and anhyzers. Z's are a good bit more stable than both and ends up being a bit like a worn in Roc.

The Roc Comet combo is awesome. When I had mine it looked like this
Heavy KC Roc - most stable
New-ish DX Roc - darn stable
Beat in DX Roc - plain stable
Heavy Z Comet - stable
ESP/TP Comet - turnovers.

Right now I'm just using
TP Comet - turnovers and annies
ESP Comet - main
Z Comet - s shots, flexes, swooping hyzers

ESP Cyclone powered down for more hyzer shots.

I still don't really get why the Comet is billed as an understable disc? For me, unless I throw it anny or screw up somehow, it goes straight. No turn. It will even hold a hyzer.

I agree. If I throw a Comet flat and hard with good snap it goes straight as an arrow and literally has zero fade. If I want it to turnover I put a slight anny on it and it holds that line the whole way and doesn't flex out of it. And yes, Comets are also capable of holding hyzer lines with proper form.

I'm actually a fairly recent Comet convert. I picked up 5 of the LE ESP's and haven't looked back. I switched from the Fuse/Core/Pain combo to the Roc/Comet set up and am really liking the results. Which reminds me, it's time to visit the marketplace to unload a BUNCH of Lat mids.

If you can get a hold of an ESP I say go for that. It will take some time to beat in but once it does it will stay tasty a long time. X's are great for turn overs and anhyzers. Z's are a good bit more stable than both and ends up being a bit like a worn in Roc.

The Roc Comet combo is awesome. When I had mine it looked like this
Heavy KC Roc - most stable
New-ish DX Roc - darn stable
Beat in DX Roc - plain stable
Heavy Z Comet - stable
ESP/TP Comet - turnovers.

Right now I'm just using
TP Comet - turnovers and annies
ESP Comet - main
Z Comet - s shots, flexes, swooping hyzers

ESP Cyclone powered down for more hyzer shots.

sweet.. yeah right now in the bag I have ..

Heavy KC
lil worn Big Bird Rancho
beat Big Bird Rancho
ESP Meteor
.... really just want to work with the comet and see how it does and work on my form lil bit.. really dont want to drop the Meteor but maybe the comet could reaplce my beat big bird for nice dead straight shots.. play mostly in the woods around here and Comet sounds like a perfect fit

ESP Meteor
.... really just want to work with the comet and see how it does and work on my form lil bit.. really dont want to drop the Meteor but maybe the comet could reaplce my beat big bird for nice dead straight shots.. play mostly in the woods around here and Comet sounds like a perfect fit

I have a few Comets in my bag as well as two 170ish Meteors. I like them both and don't want to drop the Meteors for whatever reason. I think the Meteor is a solid enough disc to stick around in the bag at least as a utility disc. For me right now if I am wanting to keep the disc lower, but still throw for distance, the Meteor is the disc I go for. I think it handles power and wind better.

However the last week or so I've had a lot of trouble getting either to turnover for me.

And I guess I really need to try a Roc!

^^^^you throwing them w/hyzer? i would say the comet not turning over is good.. but meteor should prob be turning unless its new.. thrown w/ hyzer the meteors usually will flip up and go nice and straight

^^^^you throwing them w/hyzer? i would say the comet not turning over is good.. but meteor should prob be turning unless its new.. thrown w/ hyzer the meteors usually will flip up and go nice and straight

I just started a thread about it in the Technique forum, but the Meteors are typically flattening out, coasting and then fading at the end. If I really step on them, of course they turn over, but then are unpredictable, and usually LONG when that happens. I have backed off how hard I try to throw slightly also.

i got my comets in the mail the other day (2x elite-x and an esp) and WOW.. i have only thrown the elite-x but yeah they will do whatever i want... thrown flat will go straight or i can throw them on a hyzer or anny.. did have one or two kinda turn on me which just shows i still have couple form issues but for the most part they were right on and can only help my form. Going to go with the Comet/Roc combo for a bit and see how she does. Still havent thrown the ESP i was waiting to make sure i liked the Elite-X first.. i should expect the ESP to be a lil more stable right? its one of the third runs.. will the ESP actually have some fade or should it still be about dead straight if thrown flat?

if by more stable you mean less understable, yes. You'll have to throw the ESP a bit faster to get it on a rope line. Slow it down to achieve a bit of graceful fade.

^^ yupp thats what i was asking and what i assumed but wanted to confirm.. i heard the 3rd Run ESP or less understable than the other runs .. you know if thats true?

IMO it depends on the type of X plastic (soft or hard), brand new with hard plastic I find them fairly close in stability, but ESP has less glide, X will wear a lot faster. If you're concerned get one a gram or two lighter.

If you're having trouble turning a Comet you need more nose down (especially with Z) if u haven't solved it yet.

The new run of ESP's are out, I got one in the mail gonna have to save up and get another couple soon while they're still here, I'll let you know. It'll be nice to have a couple backups so I can actually throw em on the dicey holes without fear. I use Z ones out here as they are more rock resistant, the extra fade makes for sweet flexshots and they fight wind better.

Last edited:
^^ yupp thats what i was asking and what i assumed but wanted to confirm.. i heard the 3rd Run ESP or less understable than the other runs .. you know if thats true?

can't help there. I've only thrown 3rd Run Esp's (also x and z's).

I have an X Comet and I really like it. I also have a star Cro, a Z Buzz, and an X Drone. The comet is most useful (for me) for semi short uphill shots because it has awesome glide. It will definitely make you a smoother and more efficient thrower or discs.

I already told you, 3rd have no tooling.

I know I didn't respond about 1st and 2nd run because I can only speculate that they were run in a much closer time frame and with possible intentions of pulling them off as the same run.

I have some of the very first esp comets I had seen, and some from the last that I saw- this was pre internet hype time, so they were there for a while. Plus I live in dc country so I'd imagine the first one I got was one of the very first.

To answer flight questions on 3rd run, yes the popular opionion is that they're more overstable and domey. Personally, I find that while having more stall like fade, they also pop up moreso- kinda like a well worn z.

The third run esp comets are MORE stable than second run esp comets and are generally more domey as well. I don't know about 1st runs esps.

The ones I have with tooling, and the ones I have without look almost identical to me. The two I've been throwing, one with tooling, one without fly almost the same for me, with the exception that one is still pretty new.

I think people get carried away with some of this black magic type stuff with their discs sometimes :D

My third ones domed and molded up much like my old TPs. My second runs were not nearly as domey, and molded up larger. The first runs and second runs are hard to tell apart. 3rd runs don't have tooling.

Second runs chew on some arm speed and turn faster at the beginning of their flight. The domey third runs are much more finesse-able despite being more stable. They are good replacements to TP Comets.