• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

i picked up an X comet last weekend and threw a few rounds with it yesterday... time will tell, but i think my fuse has tough competition for its bag slot.

I love the comet I have, it is always in my bag. I use an elite x 175 for straight to straight veering right shots of about 150 - 200it feet. Its smooth like butter.

I have a 175 z plastic one also that I never use and probably should.

just felt like this needed a bump... .. For those of you that throw the ESP's why do you prefer them over the Z or X's? I have prob 4-5 ESPs but just havent really thrown them b/c the others cover everything i need. I use Elite-Z for straight,slight hyzers, anhyzers,etc. and Elite-X for turnovers, hyzerflips, stand stills, etc. The ESP plastic is buttah tho so i assume that has something to do with it but really was curious... Comet Love!

My ESP is definitely more stable that my beat X. So I can cover a lot with those two; similar to what you are doing. I don't have my Z any more because it got bent/warped, but I remember it flying very similar to my ESP. If I lost my ESP I would just replace it with a Z, if I couldn't find an ESP for cheap. I think the hype around ESP is mainly from the fact that there is a limited supply. I posed a similar question in post #63 if the esp comets comin again! thread, so you can check out some replies I got if you want.

^^^ thanks for the link, if you ever get out to seneca/clemson/walhalla area give me a shout so we can sling em around a lil bit :thmbup:

^^^ No problem. Hoping the Columbia trip with Josh S. works out for the 6th or the 9th. If so I'll see you then.

^^^ yeah should be good to go just have to confirm with josh.. just found out our first bball broadcast at the station is the 6th tho so i might only be able to go if its the 9th :doh: .. he tell you about jumping in the freazing cold water @ Sertoma on sunday to get my teebird? lol and it was around 10 in the am .. crazyness.. glad i got my disc tho :p

just felt like this needed a bump... .. For those of you that throw the ESP's why do you prefer them over the Z or X's? I have prob 4-5 ESPs but just havent really thrown them b/c the others cover everything i need. I use Elite-Z for straight,slight hyzers, anhyzers,etc. and Elite-X for turnovers, hyzerflips, stand stills, etc. The ESP plastic is buttah tho so i assume that has something to do with it but really was curious... Comet Love!

I have a Z, X, and ESP Comet, all 3 same weight. They're all 3 totally different discs. The ESP is super duper domey, the Z is super flat, and the X is somewhere in the middle. The ESP is the straightest of the 3 for me, so it's my favorite. It flies a lot like my X did when it was new, and it doesn't beat in nearly as fast. If I could only carry one, it'd be the ESP.

I through the ESP for two reasons...one is the plastic is nice and buttery...I do still love my 1st run ESP. I have two of them and there is noticeable differences in the plastic but the recent run is still super nice.
Secondly, I really like a nice gradual dome on my comets. All the Zs that I have thrown have been super flat and very very hard. They fly the same, but defintely not my cup of tea. Never thrown Xs.

Currently loving my sparkle and z combo.
Sadly, ill have to go back to tp and maybe esp for the winter though.

So whats the deal on these Ron Russell sparkle Comets... I feel as if I need a few.

So whats the deal on these Ron Russell sparkle Comets... I feel as if I need a few.

they're pretty hard to find and generally expensive (50-60). but also very badass. i think they're supposed to be a bit more overstable than current production z, look in the dgr comet thread.

i've taken the comet out of my bag for the time being because i finally got a dx roc beat to the point that it will do everything that my elite x comet was doing for me. but now my straight roc has gotten a just a bit too much turn so the esp comet may have to go back in for the straight slot.

Last edited:
I through the ESP for two reasons...one is the plastic is nice and buttery...I do still love my 1st run ESP. I have two of them and there is noticeable differences in the plastic but the recent run is still super nice.
Secondly, I really like a nice gradual dome on my comets. All the Zs that I have thrown have been super flat and very very hard. They fly the same, but defintely not my cup of tea. Never thrown Xs.

thanks that about what i was thinking.. i do like my flat elite-z's but i have a couple of the 1st Run ESP's that i was messing with yesterday and boy oh boy do they feel nice.. might have to toss one for a few weeks and see how things go. Think a worn 1st Run would prob replace my Elite-X more so then the Elite-Z ?

yea esp over z for that slot for sure. but unless it's like 5/10 it won't replace an x. and even then it won't be exactly the same. the difference in glide between premium and base plastics is substantial even if the premium plastic is super beat.

they're pretty hard to find and generally expensive (50-60). but also very badass. i think they're supposed to be a bit more overstable than current production z, look in the dgr comet thread.

i've taken the comet out of my bag for the time being because i finally got a dx roc beat to the point that it will do everything that my elite x comet was doing for me. but now my straight roc has gotten a just a bit too much turn so the esp comet may have to go back in for the straight slot.

I dont mind paying that if they are what I've read... but i would have to have two... I have CE plastic and other OOP shiz id be willing to trade for all who may read this...

i would keep an eye on ebay and maybe pay for a two week sticky in the mp and see what turns up. there just aren't that many of them and they don't come up for trade/sale very often.

Just restarted my game entirely after 2 years using only mids, putters, and a XXX in case of hurricanes and an elite x comet is filling the stable/understable slot in my lineup. Complimenting it with a newish DX Roc for stable shots and an Opto Core for overstable and its working out great!

Latest posts