• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

picture.php

Sweet, looks like there might be another Comet or two in that bag.

*takes off "loudmouth in a Comet thread" cap*

*puts on "self-proclaimed Internet expert on late 90's golf discs" cap*

*waits for someone to notice it doesn't fit*

*speaking in my best George Plimpton imitation voice*

The "Saturn" Comets (for the most part) were run in Tournament Pro plastic. Tournament Pro plastic shrunk out of the mold quite a bit. All of the cheaper base plastics shrink out of the mold to some degree, that why for example if you have a DX Firebird and a Champ Firebird, the DX one will have a sharper nose. The dense plastics (Champ/Z-type plastics being the most dense) pack out the mold and retain the shape of the mold more fully, so the Champ Firebird had the blunt nose of the mold. The DX Firebird shrinks a little, doesn't pack out the mold and comes out with a slightly smaller disc diameter and a sharper nose. It's a big part of the reason a Champ disc will fly more OS than a DX version out of the same mold.

Tournament Pro plastic seemed to shrink more than DX or old Discraft Competition plastic (the other old base plastics from the 90's) so the slightly smaller disc diameter effect is more noticeable in those discs. It's very noticeable when you put them next to a Z disc. If you put an old Tournament Pro Saturn Comet in your bag next to a Z Comet, the Z Comet will be noticeably larger in diameter.

This is part of the reason that the Comet is the snowflake of the old Tournament Pro lineup; most of those discs when run in Z plastic were garbage that flew nothing like the old Tournament Pro versions. A Z Cyclone flies closer to a Viper than a Tournament Pro Cyclone. Z Hawks were glideless bricks. You can't even get the Stratus to mold up in Z. The only disc that successfully transitioned from Tournament Pro plastic to Z plastic was the Comet. So...we dodged a bullet there, folks.

*takes off "self-proclaimed Internet expert on late 90's golf discs" cap*

*somebody stole my "loudmouth in a Comet thread" cap while I was blathering*

:\

The Z MRV's were decent. I use to throw those along with Comets until the Wasp and Buzzz came out. I still have a few of those Z Cyclones and Z Hawks around here somewhere.

I never did like the pictured above green 02' DGLO Comets. I had a number of them and just didn't like them for some reason I can't remember anymore. I ended up trading them off many years ago to a friend that really liked them. Now, the blue Ron Russell Comets those were sweet. I still shed a tear when I think about the two blue RR Z-Comets I lost less than two weeks apart many many years ago. :(

Comet throwers today are lucky with all the choices: Z, Crystal, Glo, ESP, MJ tour series, etc. Back in my day we had one plastic and were happy with it.

The Z MRV's were decent. I use to throw those along with Comets until the Wasp and Buzzz came out. I still have a few of those Z Cyclones and Z Hawks around here somewhere.

I never did like the pictured above green 02' DGLO Comets. I had a number of them and just didn't like them for some reason I can't remember anymore. I ended up trading them off many years ago to a friend that really liked them. Now, the blue Ron Russell Comets those were sweet. I still shed a tear when I think about the two blue RR Z-Comets I lost less than two weeks apart many many years ago. :(

Comet throwers today are lucky with all the choices: Z, Crystal, Glo, ESP, MJ tour series, etc. Back in my day we had one plastic and were happy with it.
MRV's were Elite Pro discs, though.

The Elite Pro discs overall fared better when moved to Z plastic, they just developed a kinda dumpy fade that was hard to beat out of them. XL's and XS's with a dumpy fade were a lot less useful to me. The upside there is the Elite Pro and Elite X plastic were pretty close to the same thing (may have literally been the same thing) so if you didn't like Z XL's you could just throw X XL's and go on with your day.

I still have a Z MRV around here somewhere as well; it was a fun disc to throw, just not my cup of tea during an actual round.

If the Comet mold had died and gone OOP instead of what happened, I'd literally pay $1,000 for a RR Comet today. At the time they were awesome. I wouldn't pay much of anything for one today; I already have a stack of sweet Z Comets.

Yeah it's funny the dump that premium plastics put into stuff... I got a friend, old school that still throws MRV's I found some in Calgary but he still had a few. I tried magnet and Putt'r in Z and it just wasn't satisfying at all. Since I couldn't trust them not to get a sudden defective irreversible tree hit, I dropped the molds disgusted by what premium plastic did to them.

I'm pretty happy with glow Z and Z... ESP is just icing (caramel) on an already triple fudge cake with oreo filling.

I really have any flavour of Comet for my particular mood... I guess I SHOULD try a titanium one day, but those stamps are kinda crappy, I wish they'd done a PP one like the old top left corner stamped titanium stalker. Maybe an MJ Sig, like that in titanium?

RoboComet was from a short-lived grand time to be a Comet guy; the Z Comet had just gone into full production and the courses in Rolla were installed at about the same time. The college kids started playing; they would buy a Z Comet, then torque-monkey it and not be able to get it to do anything other than turn and burn. After about five throws they would sell it to me. :| I bought RoboComet off this kid Jake who got it in a Discraft misprint package; I paid him $5.

Then Prodigy and Dynamic started making discs, all the college kids stopped buying Discraft and I lost my Comet connection. :\

Just so you know the full story of the disc you claim is yours...

*conveniently forgets about the Hamer guitar I "borrowed"*

So I picked up a '21 MJ and wow is it pretty to both look at and throw. It's able to handle both power and finesse very well. I think I'm going to pair it with a domey TP? Comet, and have the perfect pair, at least for the courses I play up here.

Wait...is this the Comet stealing daughter?
It's the Comet-stealing daughter providing photographic evidence of her Comet-stealing ways. :|

She bought me an ESP Comet with an astronaut riding a whale on it and a colorshift Z Ledgestone Comet last year, though. Maybe I should cut her some slack? Father's day is coming up...

Haha, makes me kind of glad my kid didn't decide to take up discs.... She's already stolen my best hoodies and concert shirts with no shame or remorse!!

It's the Comet-stealing daughter providing photographic evidence of her Comet-stealing ways. :|

She bought me an ESP Comet with an astronaut riding a whale on it and a colorshift Z Ledgestone Comet last year, though. Maybe I should cut her some slack? Father's day is coming up...

Damn right it is! Also, RoboComet has been in my bag for at least three previous stretches of time, I call shared custody.

I can't wait until my son is old enough to start throwing and stealing my Comets. :hfive:

Haha, makes me kind of glad my kid didn't decide to take up discs.... She's already stolen my best hoodies and concert shirts with no shame or remorse!!
The other daughter stole my concert shirts.

Actually the other daughter plays with and entire bag full of discs purchased by me or her sister, she just doesn't claim actual ownership of them. And she throws Super Stingrays. :doh:

So I picked up a '21 MJ and wow is it pretty to both look at and throw. It's able to handle both power and finesse very well. I think I'm going to pair it with a domey TP? Comet, and have the perfect pair, at least for the courses I play up here.
My Comet line-up is pretty cluttered and hard to crack, but the '21 is making a strong play to stay in my bag. It's got a nice stability/glide combo. Right now I have too many Comets in the bag (I think there are six there right now) so something has to go. It might not be the '21, though.

Edit: Too many Comets in the bag...
picture.php

Last edited:
Edit: Too many Comets in the bag...

Geez my bag would be half full!! Only one ESP!? You musta worked the heck out of those Z's.!!

Two Comets is my limit, 12 disc 'sac if I do that always an ESP flat top and Z... but often afterwards I just go back to one... like a 174 Z or domey esp... then two... then... three.. One... haha

Geez my bag would be half full!! Only one ESP!? You musta worked the heck out of those Z's.!!

Two Comets is my limit, 12 disc 'sac if I do that always an ESP flat top and Z... but often afterwards I just go back to one... like a 174 Z or domey esp... then two... then... three.. One... haha
There are two ESP's there. The other four are Z, although the '17 MJ is Z mixed with something. The grip on it is waaayyy different than straight up Z.

I'm really just messing around this spring; I have wrist surgery in about three weeks and I'm going to be out for probably six weeks after that, so I'm basically out until July. I don't really have to get my bag set for anything; my season is shot anyway.

There are two ESP's there. The other four are Z, although the '17 MJ is Z mixed with something. The grip on it is waaayyy different than straight up Z.

I'm really just messing around this spring; I have wrist surgery in about three weeks and I'm going to be out for probably six weeks after that, so I'm basically out until July. I don't really have to get my bag set for anything; my season is shot anyway.

Bah! Suck it up and play wrong handed! Better to get out there and suck than to sit at home!!

I have an esz in stock, same thing only from the other end. One of my favourites.

Seriously suck it up, play wrong handed and enjoy the purity of the sport. Haha.. It's tough but remember a bad day of golf yada yada. I'm actually passible wrong handed now, just takes enough injuries.

Bah! Suck it up and play wrong handed! Better to get out there and suck than to sit at home!!

I have an esz in stock, same thing only from the other end. One of my favourites.

Seriously suck it up, play wrong handed and enjoy the purity of the sport. Haha.. It's tough but remember a bad day of golf yada yada. I'm actually passible wrong handed now, just takes enough injuries.
I just had surgery on the wrong wrist; it won't be clear for takeoff until June. :| I'm supposed to go walk around and mock my usual crew while they throw just to get me out of the house.

Latest posts