• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Comet love?

Lol, evidently by December 2009 it had been so long since I saw one I didn't remember what they looked like.

I could have sworn somebody on DGR got me to try them again and 2010 seems late for that, but evidently it was. Despite throwing Comets on the regular, I love to torque monkey putters on short drives and approaches. I sing the praises of the APX, but I only use it when my arm is hurt.

The other disc I always did that with was the Aurora MS; **** that's a great midrange. If you left me on a deserted Island with plenty to eat and drink and a disc golf course and nothing but Aurora MS to throw on it, that wouldn't be half bad. :| I never, ever throw them. I have Rocs and Comets.

So many discs, so little time.

Edit: **** is censored? ****. :|

****, ****, ****,

Jay and Silent Bob protest 100%

That thread is so old there are Sleepy posts in there. :eek:

But...Sleepy never threw APXs, did he? Never saw him putt with anything but a Wizard, I think... haven't golfed with him in over a decade though... I'll have to give him flak and see if I can get his old ones off him...

Comets?
Most used are the Blue MJ and the Orange CryZtal, both fly roughly the same. I got the green CryZtal from the same person but it's un-throwable because it becomes invisible in grass. Purple beat up ESP sometimes comes out as my flippiest comet. Lost the green glow ESP MJ in my field for like a year and JUST re-found it under some grass last month.

xkSrZt6.jpg

The APX has a weird history.

The swirls were where it was at for putting for sure. I did throw the white Elite Pros for a while as my turnover approach disc. Not too lasting as I usually had a broken in putter and was a bit of a minimalist at the time (thanks Blake).

The swirls were where it was at for putting for sure. I did throw the white Elite Pros for a while as my turnover approach disc. Not too lasting as I usually had a broken in putter and was a bit of a minimalist at the time (thanks Blake).

Haha I'm still a minimalist thanks to Blake...

I've got a couple of the early and first run Elite Pro APXs. They've got none of the glide of any later plastics. I hated them.

The Swirls were nice, but they all started blistering and separating the two plastics eventually. I did like the neon rainbow ones, though!

Late run Soft X was where it was at, for me.

Ok here's my family photo. There are two more, but they got wrecked over time, so I didn't include them, because gore...

The blank ones are first run Glow Z, the Discraft stamp is market 1st run Comet, the two on either side of my butterfly one are Glow Elite Pro

Attachments

• 20230515_113835.jpg
    20230515_113835.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 33
Anyone know how I can get the forum to quit rotating my pics like that? It's in portrait orientation on my phone...

Anyone know how I can get the forum to quit rotating my pics like that? It's in portrait orientation on my phone...
No idea. You would think I would know stuff like that, wouldn't you? I don't. :(

Your pic reminded me I totally flaked and forgot three Comets when I took my Comet family picture:

First Run Glow

picture.php

picture.php

Jeff Wulf #6892's First Run Glow; I think I traded him a glow Hawk for it. Sometimes I think I have more of Jeff's old golf disc than Jeff does; his name and PDGA # are plastered on all of them just like that.

picture.php

In '98, XL and X2's were the hot hot hot drivers so we got Discraft discs for our tournament; when I picked my stuff up I had a players pack with an X2. Dave McCormack was there and he had tried to reserve all the XL's and X2's for the Gateway crowd, of which I was not one. He literally pulled the X2 from my hand, said "You can't throw that" and gave me this Comet. I was kinda pissy about the whole deal so I never threw it, and it's still hanging out in my basement.

picture.php

I putted with APX's for years. I never really liked the Swirl APX, but many others did. I used two Elite Pro plastics APX's, one with a custom stamped that was dyed and an all white Prototype. I still have them and a bunch of others in the stash, but I've moved to Luna's since they first came out.

This is the Comet thread and no freeloading so I will post a Comet family photo when I get home from work in the morning. I know I've posted one before in this thread, but that was years ago and the Comet collection has grown since.

THREE Ron Russels, and no DGLOs? Slacker... :D

The green 2002 DGLO Z Comets are the worst Comets ever made IMHO. I played in that years DGLO and got one in a players pack, and traded for two more before the weekend ended. These were the first Comets in Z plastic so a lot of us Comet throwers had high hopes. I tried to like them but couldn't. I eventually traded the 3 or 4 I had to a friend who liked them. They were super understable with almost nonexistent glide.

The green 2002 DGLO Z Comets are the worst Comets ever made IMHO. I played in that years DGLO and got one in a players pack, and traded for two more before the weekend ended. These were the first Comets in Z plastic so a lot of us Comet throwers had high hopes. I tried to like them but couldn't. I eventually traded the 3 or 4 I had to a friend who liked them. They were super understable with almost nonexistent glide.

Yeah but some of them were soooo gummy and sweet feeling :D

I felt like the Ron Russell were sort of the same glide, just way overstable. It took a few more years before Discraft figured out how to run the Comet well in Z..

I'll have to post my comet family picture(s)

I think I've done it before in this thread but not sure how far back...I'm lacking a few of the really old runs from before I started playing, but have a good spread

Yeah but some of them were soooo gummy and sweet feeling :D

I felt like the Ron Russell were sort of the same glide, just way overstable. It took a few more years before Discraft figured out how to run the Comet well in Z..
I felt like that with almost all of the old Discraft molds that they ran in Z. Magnet? It flew like a brick. Hawk? Brick. Cyclone? Z Cyclones were glideless bricks in calm conditions, and yet somehow were flippy into a headwind. All my friends were all "Candy Plastic!!!" but I couldn't throw any of it. I really can't think of an old disc that I thought was better in Z. That the Z Comets of now are good flyers makes it kinda a unicorn IMO.

I felt like that with almost all of the old Discraft molds that they ran in Z. Magnet? It flew like a brick. Hawk? Brick. Cyclone? Z Cyclones were glideless bricks in calm conditions, and yet somehow were flippy into a headwind. All my friends were all "Candy Plastic!!!" but I couldn't throw any of it. I really can't think of an old disc that I thought was better in Z. That the Z Comets of now are good flyers makes it kinda a unicorn IMO.

Those Z cyclones were dumb. It was like a longer Z wasp that you couldn't trust in wind. ESP Cyclones didn't come until like 2010. Those were great even if there was a range of stabilities I found uses for both. The domey ones were like fast comets.

I love me some XLs though none of them flew comet like compared to those domey esp cyclones.

Generally though I found XLs to have slight turn and fade where comets and some cyclones were just neutral.

The success of the discmania FD always made me chuckle cause the same people probably wouldn't have given the XL the time of day. Old pearly XLs are one of the closest things I have thrown to a 2nd run FD and most XLs are so similar to other runs of FD.