• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Confessions of Disc Golf Shoe Addict

SpringDgLover

Double Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'll admit it Im addicted to buying shoes for disc golf. It has become really bad and i cant seem stop. It has become my mission to find the very best shoe for disc golf and let me tell you brother I have tried them all. It all began about 6 months ago when I decided I was going to invest in a good pair of shoes for DG. I did my research and finally decided to get the Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra GTX. It was a great shoe, very comfortable, awesome lacing system, and seemed destined to be number one. But alas as I have come to find, Salomons start out great but break down really quick. From there I bought the Keen Milo's, a shoe "made for disc golf". Well it might be "made for disc golf" but its designers forgot one very important component, durability. These shoes were falling apart the second week I got them, and just check out other posts on this site if you don't believe me. I really believe that when Keen designs the second generation of this shoe it will be much better, but for now, not so much. Thankfully since I bought the Salomons at REI (for those not in the know REI is amazing) I got to return them and have had the chance to try out a wide variety of shoes.

So where is this going you ask? Well below is a rating and micro review of all the shoes I've tried. I have no bias to any of the companies, these are true fair assessments and take them as you will. Hopefully all my shoe buying can benefit others out there with the same mission as me, FINDING THE VERY BEST DISC GOLF SHOE AVAILABLE WOO HOOO!!!! I will give each shoe a 1-5 rating for four major catagories, Comfort, Durability, Appeal, and Weight.

1. Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra GTX - A great looking, out of the box awesome disc golf shoe, that suffers from major durability issues. From soft, easily worn out soles to the synthetic leather pieces that literally crack apart in water, to the squeaky shank, these shoes beg for better materials.

Comfort - 4
Durability - 2
Appeal - 5
Weight - 4

2. Keen Milos - Some of the most comfortable shoes I've ever worn, great toe protection, very warm, and extremely water proof. These shoes seem like tanks, but begin to break down really early and the sythentic mesh parts of the shoe catch and hold every piece of dirt around, wear them once and they always look dirty. They also are not the lightest shoes around and this can wear on you after long tourney days.

Comfort - 5
Durability - 3
Appeal - 4
Weight - 2

3.Teva Wraptor with Event Waterproof - The ugly duckling of the bunch, these little buggers are really good disc golf shoes. The Event waterproof material is amazing and these are some of the driest shoes Ive ever worn. They are also extremely light and super durable.The strap lacing system with velcro works admirably and these shoes will last you forever. Beware the velcro straps do stretch out over time and of course the velcro breaks down, making this the one minor fault I can find with these great shoes.

Comfort - 4
Durability - 4
Appeal - 2
Weight - 5

4. Vasque Mantra GTX - A modified hiking boot these shoes are T-O-U-G-H they are built to take a beating and are extremely well put together. They have great water proofing and with Vibram soles they can take anything you throw at them. To bad they are super uncomfortable, I mean flat out painful, someone forgot to put padding in the forefoot area and even with custom insoles they are barely wearable. Not to mention that they weigh a ton making driving a chore.

Comfort - 1
Durability - 5
Appeal - 4
Weight - 2

5. Vasque Blur SL GTX - A well put together, very solid shoe, built for trail running making it very light, this combined with the proven water proofing of Gore Tex, makes these shoes great disc golf. They look almost as good as the Salomons IMO and are a little lighter. They are built with the aforementioned Vasque durability but are way more comfortable. They dont have the Vibram out soles (by the way I think Vibram makes great rubber but sometimes I find it can be a little to hard and rough on feet) but are still super durable. Honestly I have dont have a lot of bad things to say about these shoes. They are in my opinion the best high end DG shoe you can buy.

Comfort - 4
Durability - 4
Appeal - 4
Weight - 5

Well thats it for now, please feel free to ask any questions you like about these shoes or any others. These are just the ones I wore for more then 2 rounds. But Ive worn a ton more and have collected alot of feedback on other shoes. Hope this helps.

It's okay it's just your feminine side coming out. So you have a shoe fetish......
It could be worse...........lol.:p

Wow. You have a problem. :D

Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Wow. After playing a round with you I never would have guessed that you have a foot fetish. Could you be related to Marv Albert???

I have the Vasques and so far really like them. I had some Keens and Merrells last year an neither one held up past 4 months. The Vasques seem bulletproof so far. I don't mind the comfort factor, but they are heavy. I may have to find something lighter for the summer. I could see a sickening puddle of sweat developing in them while I play a round in the summer heat. Maybe the Blur since you did such a nice review.

i have a few pair of merrals and i love them one pair weighs nearly nothing and have great air flow in them but there only good for dry summer days.for this time of year i wear a pair of high top gore tex boots to keep my feet dry and warm :)

What is the arch support like in each of these shoes? For someone like me with high arches, support in that area is of paramount importance to me.

Wow. After playing a round with you I never would have guessed that you have a foot fetish. Could you be related to Marv Albert???

I have the Vasques and so far really like them. I had some Keens and Merrells last year an neither one held up past 4 months. The Vasques seem bulletproof so far. I don't mind the comfort factor, but they are heavy. I may have to find something lighter for the summer. I could see a sickening puddle of sweat developing in them while I play a round in the summer heat. Maybe the Blur since you did such a nice review.

Yeah I know Im a closet shoe lover lol. My wife makes fun of me about it all the time.

What is the arch support like in each of these shoes? For someone like me with high arches, support in that area is of paramount importance to me.

I would say the arch support for these shoes vary but for the most part they all have orthotic foot beds and probably would benefit greatly from Super Feet.

i have a few pair of merrals and i love them one pair weighs nearly nothing and have great air flow in them but there only good for dry summer days.for this time of year i wear a pair of high top gore tex boots to keep my feet dry and warm :)

What kind of Merrells do you wear? I have as of yet not tried those other then Intercepts and those are more like office shoes then outdoor shoes. Ive been wanting to try the Chameleons and when I tried on the Moabs they felt really comfortable, just didnt dig the look to much.

Dont get me wrong the Mantra GTX is a really good shoe, it was just extremely uncomfortable, but as far as construction they were the best of the bunch.

I have a pair of Oboz that I got from REI about 6 months ago and they are holding strong. A boot sytle with Gore-tex, awesome super agressive tread and rubber that wraps around from the sole to the edges all around. If you have tried these, I am sure they will make your list too.

I have a pair of Oboz that I got from REI about 6 months ago and they are holding strong. A boot sytle with Gore-tex, awesome super agressive tread and rubber that wraps around from the sole to the edges all around. If you have tried these, I am sure they will make your list too.

Great all I need another shoe to try lol. Ive heard alot of good things about Oboz, have to try them out after i wear out these Blur's.

I support your cause to find the perfect DG shoe. :clap:

I think my Merrell Chameleons would last forever if I only disc golfed in them but they're so comfy I wear them all the time. :(

I wear skateboarding shoes.. DC, DVS, Adio, you name it. They are made for comfort and durability. Been wearing the same pair for a little over 3 years now, used only for dg, and I have another pair that Ive had for about a year and a half, if I ever feel like switching it up.

imelda20collection.jpg

What!???4 months!??? Either you didn't get vibram soles, play more then 14 rounds/week, over 400lbs., or your doing something wrong. ( no offense but I've owned over ten pairs of keens/merrells, sold/traded the keens, and play more then the average bear-9 rounds in three days isn't uncommon. )

I'm with you craftsman, my Merrells hold up for about 750 rounds of disc golf and lots of other walking and hiking. I wear the gore-tex moabs.

I wear skateboarding shoes.. DC, DVS, Adio, you name it. They are made for comfort and durability. Been wearing the same pair for a little over 3 years now, used only for dg, and I have another pair that Ive had for about a year and a half, if I ever feel like switching it up.

I'm guessing that you either throw fh or play natural tees. There's no way skate shoes, even the exspensive ones with extra on the sides, could hold up to bh rotation with proper weight over on cement tees.
On a non dg day you will find me in vans, chucks, or dc's but not for dg.
I always laugh at the kids slipping on the hills in thier skate shoes;) not only that but they're built too flat to allow proper weight shift during putting.
If your affraid that ugly hiking shoes will cramp your style just get some sweet tatoos. I always tell the kids I see;" you can wear whatever shoes, cut/dye your hair however, and even put a ring in your nose- but unless you have some visable tatoos- your not really as punk rock as you may think". ;)

that may seriously be the most DG addicted-weird-fetish-inadvertently sexual post ever.

It's also nice for consistancy whores that many of merrells main styles come in ventilator(the leather/suede is replaced with mesh for breathability), standard(usually a leather/suede combo great for fall), boot style( do I need to explain), and some form of waterproof.
So you can keep essentially one style all year long while adapting to the seasons/conditions:)