• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Controlled, glidey distance lineup

No love for the CD2? That is a FANTASTIC disc. Slight turn, some fade, but not too strong, easy glide and great controlled straight shots. I bagged a lot of CD2s for a very long time. As I tried to minimize molds, I ended up switching to seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds instead of having CD2s in the mix as well. However, the CD2 is one of the best 9-10 speeds in my opinion.

No love for the CD2? That is a FANTASTIC disc. Slight turn, some fade, but not too strong, easy glide and great controlled straight shots. I bagged a lot of CD2s for a very long time. As I tried to minimize molds, I ended up switching to seasoned PDs and Thunderbirds instead of having CD2s in the mix as well. However, the CD2 is one of the best 9-10 speeds in my opinion.

I always forget about those. They are easy enough to throw but still predictable and stable. If you have a normal arm speed but want the shape of flight that McBeth gets out of this Thunderbirds with that bit of ride and predictable controlled finish, CD2 is a great choice.

So, of all these mentioned, what do you guys use for max distance down wind? My search continues. I'm convinced I need a slower disc for this, but can settle on anything. I recently bought a lightweight Mamba and Vanish, but neither is really standing out.

So, of all these mentioned, what do you guys use for max distance down wind? My search continues. I'm convinced I need a slower disc for this, but can settle on anything. I recently bought a lightweight Mamba and Vanish, but neither is really standing out.

Which of the slower discs have you tried?

Depending on the situation, I use either a Valkyrie, a beat Thunderbird, or a Leopard3.

My understanding is tailwinds need some combination of discing down and understability; opposite of headwinds. Is that correct?

Sidewinder/Roadrunner seem like they would be up for it.

EDIT: thinking of my Trilogy bag, I have had good results with a King. I just ignore the numbers on that disc.

Last edited:

Depending on the situation, I use either a Valkyrie, a beat Thunderbird, or a Leopard3.

My understanding is tailwinds need some combination of discing down and understability; opposite of headwinds. Is that correct?

Falchion, Breakout, Underworld mostly. I am curious about maybe a Dx Valk. I have a Sidewinder, but it's champ and really not that understable. Glides like crazy though. May work with a tiny bit of anny in the strong down winds that give me so much trouble.

Yeah pretty much. In mild tailwinds you can just go down in stability, like I'll throw a flippy Trespass instead of a Destroyer. If it's moderate then going to the speed 7-9 understable is great...just throw your neutral fairway driver. A Sidewinder or Roadrunner on a moderately high hyzer flip to turnover should be ideal. When it's a ripping tailwind I'll even throw a Comet, at the wind speed that my fairways get knocked down early.

I wouldn't carry a "tailwind driver" that you don't use normally unless I played somewhere where it was always windy...I just adjust for one of my normal discs to take care of it. If I was going to select something I don't bag for that shot, then likely it would be a SW or RR. It really depends on your arm speed and how much wind, you still have to be able to throw the disc hard enough that when you subtract the wind speed, it's still at a good cruising speed...ballpark estimates of course. If you throw 60MPH and there's a 10MPH tailwind...would that disc still glide on a 50MPH throw or will it dump?

Falchion, Breakout, Underworld mostly. I am curious about maybe a Dx Valk. I have a Sidewinder, but it's champ and really not that understable. Glides like crazy though. May work with a tiny bit of anny in the strong down winds that give me so much trouble.

DX Valk is definitely worth a look for that.

Our courses have lots of max distance downwind holes.

Well, then that definitely changes things.

I would lean on something to hyzer flip moreso than trying to put your stable Champ Sidewinder on a mini flex. Throwing with an anny angle downhill is extremely hard I think...I mean it'll work but I think it's a very technical shot. Way easier for me to do a slightly downward hyzer release to keep the nose down without digging the right side in early.

I would think your Underworld would be great for this?

Well, then that definitely changes things.

I would lean on something to hyzer flip moreso than trying to put your stable Champ Sidewinder on a mini flex. Throwing with an anny angle downhill is extremely hard I think...I mean it'll work but I think it's a very technical shot. Way easier for me to do a slightly downward hyzer release to keep the nose down without digging the right side in early.

I would think your Underworld would be great for this?

Downwind, but not down hill. My Underworld has beaten into trick Understable. I probably need a new one.

King or Destiny would be my choice.

My question is this - What would be a good US complement to the Hatchet? I may pair saints or escapes plus a thundy with it for more stable options, but would like something that will end right of center more consistently and with control, and at a similar speed.

I presently bag an underworld for US utility, but would like a faster version to mesh with the "slow distance driver" style of the saint and hatchet.

Like I said, for all intents and purposes the Fury is a non-starter - didn't like the bluntness of the rim I guess. Considering the Witness, as it sounds like it's the fastest trilogy version of what I'm looking for. Also could consider a heavy diamond, but what I'm really looking for is a true speed 9.

I'd just beat up a Saint. Maybe find a recycled line Saint to speed up the understability? I used to really like Valks but they snuck a horrid plus mold on a Pro Valk I got awhile back and I haven't gotten one since. They're great discs when Innova isn't ****ing them up, though.

Ugh, I got one of those. Didn't sour me to the mold, but damn if that isn't just stepping in unexpected dog poop.

innova doing something like this?? no way!!!

oh wait yeah probably they are the wonderful company who marked my discs "sw" for sidewinder and gave me valks

you cant even blame that on a rookie employee i felt it in hand before i even throw it night and day difference to a veteran playa

innova doing something like this?? no way!!!

oh wait yeah probably they are the wonderful company who marked my discs "sw" for sidewinder and gave me valks

you cant even blame that on a rookie employee i felt it in hand before i even throw it night and day difference to a veteran playa

I know what you mean, sometime in 2018 I felt some Pro Plastic drivers that felt like they were star plastic in grip and stiffness but still a softer plastic like Pro is supposed to be in toughness. :eek:

My distance setup is this right now:

Prodiscus FASTi for really nice hyzerflips. These glide nicely and are easy to learn. Fresh arm is not needed.
Prodiscus RAZERi. More stable FASTi. Nice glide, fast and hyzers back nicely. Fresh arm is better for these babies.

You should try these in Premium or Ultrium plastics. Nice and easy discs.

Star Tern and believe it or not a 154 Blizzard Teedevil is my longest disc. ONLY throw it in a tailwind and even then it is tough disc to control but it bombs. I don't even bag it but if I was in a noodle arm distance competition that's the one I would choose. I normally bag 160 Waves and Terns for my distance drivers.

Latest posts