• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Corey's Form Improvement

Thanks again for the analysis and suggestions. I will work on improving these and try including a view from behind in future posts.

As far as eyes closed. I don't think I'm closing them, not consciously for sure. I think I might just be looking at the ground? I will try and remember to not look down at the ground. Could help keep my head/chin up as well.

I know things won't be fixed from one short day of practicing, but I did try and keep my head/shoulder over my front foot today. Figured I would post a couple throws since I filmed them from behind as well. Hopefully seeing myself from another angle will help.

I seem to have gone to the opposite extreme and now am planting with my front foot too closed. I'll work on that but would appreciate any feedback/guidance on anything else. Thanks as always.

I think you're using your left leg to push your body into rotation, like your left hip and the left side of your body into a clockwise rotation. Rather than moving laterally off of the left leg and landing closed on the right leg, then rotating from the right leg. Because of this I would recommend one leg drill and throws. But also wait for SW's view.

Yes your right foot is closed, but your body or hips are opening before the weight is down on the right leg. You're rotating from the rear leg, not from landing and clearing your hips.

It's been a looong time, but I am back in hopes of some more guidance.

I've still been throwing pretty regularly over the last couple years, but took a break from serious form work to make sure I was still having fun. However, I am stubborn and really want to figure out this whole 'form' thing so I'm back.

Recently been trying to get the most out of the least input. Just been doing a 'walk-up' and can throw about the same distance as before (maybe slightly further), with what feels like half the effort. There are things I see that I want to work on like, the high reach-back/dip in my throw but was hoping to get some feedback on more fundamental issues that I assume I still have.

Got myself a net to make it more convenient for me to take form video.

Go straight down your stairs slightly closed wiping rear butt cheek all the way down. Need to squeeze your posture more upright balanced or tighter down a hallway.

Need to squeeze your posture more upright balanced or tighter down a hallway.

I assume this is referencing how during my final/plant step (when viewed from behind) I drift to the left?

Unfortunately I don't have any stairs in my house. I'm pretty confident there are stairs outside a nearby church, but I don't know that they have walls next to them. Might need to work on the two drills separately.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond/help me out.

Should help you with both feet. Hand rail might work in lieu of wall.

After a couple days of practicing I still only do what I 'think' is right/feels right, about half the time.
And I only ever feel like I am leveraging the disc correctly some of those times.

The main things I notice are that this seems to be putting less strain on my plant leg/knee and that the leverage point is in a different place. I would say that the best I can describe it is that when I manage to leverage the disc (while doing what I 'think' is right) it feels further away from me than I am used to.

I feel like this looks less different than it feels and wanted to see if I am heading in the right direction before I continue trying to re-train my muscle memory.

Yes. Work on Door Frame Drills - keeping the disc/frame in place as you stride forward into plant, turning back later. You push the disc/frame further away from target and drag everything forward early before plant. Want to create more separation or lag later hips striding forward and shoulders turning back.

Also try to keep your eyes on your disc during the swing instead of looking ahead to target. And/or try keep your disc/elbow further forward so it's keeping up with your eyes.

Side note: Maybe you shouldn't focus on full reach back at first?

As SW said, do the door frame drills.
Try to feel the tension building up with just a tiny amount of shoulder turn, then swing it forward. Keep adding to it when it feels like you've got the timing and tension right until you are doing swings with full reach back.
That helped me to lock the disc in place better and move "around the disc" instead.
It can get a bit complicated to time the full reach back with the stride and swing through if you aren't used to that timing yet. Usually that means that you push the disc back instead or drag it forward when you've maxed out, and then you swing forward without tension and leverage.

It seems like working on fixing/changing my reachback is definitely going to take some time.

Thanks for the tips and advice. I'll be back once I've made some decent progress.

This is where things stand after a little over a week of working on doorframe/turning back later to fix my timing.

It's been a real struggle to make any significant progress/changes. Unsurprisingly, but annoyingly, it's extremely difficult to overcome years of bad habits and muscle memory. I'm still not where I would like to be, but at least I see some improvement so I'm not completely discouraged.
Gonna keep slowly nudging my old habits into shape.

Take a shorter/quicker step with left foot, more rhythm and acceleration into the plant. You step long and slow and slow your momentum down.

Been working on continuing to implement previous changes as well as the shorter/quicker x-step. I do feel like I am transferring more of my momentum/effort into the disc than before.

The dip/swoop in my throw looks so much more egregious from the side angle.

Turn back later into backswing after rear foot touches down and "reachback" lower and swing more upward to finish.

You are also moving the disc further away from target instead of keeping in place or a pendulum backswing. Most players pump forward either with the elbow bent or pump the arm/disc fully extended. You do neither, which would likely help keep you from moving the disc further away and too early. Be more patient in transition and pay attention to your disc, keep eyes on disc. Door Frame Drills and Hammer Swing.

Have some free-time and hope to put in some decent time/effort into filming and improving as much as I can before it gets too cold here. Video from today. Slight improvements since my last post but still looks to me like I'm turning back too early, moving disc away from target, and reaching back too high.

Unless you see something else more pressing I will focus on the previous feedback and likely work on incorporating a forward pump to help with the timing.

Last edited:
Unless you only want to throw right to left hyzers, you need to let the arm/disc come further back around behind your body. You are trying to keep the disc too wide at the top of the backswing. You wouldn't do that kind of manipulation with a hammer or sledgehammer, you would let that thing swing back to where it wants to go behind you and you get your body out of it's way. Be a lumberjack, not a surgeon.
q2TUzM1.png

bwPdAqC.png

... you need to let the arm/disc come further back around behind your body. You are trying to keep the disc too wide at the top of the backswing.

I ended up hurting my back the other day moving/lifting things around the house so I am unable to practice/throw until I am healed up and back to normal.

However, before injuring myself I did swing a hammer while really focusing on where it wanted to go. As I reached what I consider to be the top of my backswing it would continue to drift around/behind me as I began the transition into the forward swing (felt different than my normal throw)

Is this what you are referring to or should I be reaching back to a different position altogether?

I ended up hurting my back the other day moving/lifting things around the house so I am unable to practice/throw until I am healed up and back to normal.

However, before injuring myself I did swing a hammer while really focusing on where it wanted to go. As I reached what I consider to be the top of my backswing it would continue to drift around/behind me as I began the transition into the forward swing (felt different than my normal throw)

Is this what you are referring to or should I be reaching back to a different position altogether?
The hammer should pull your whole arm/body further back around to the top of backswing and the forward swing becomes more diagonal inside-out to release wide.