• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] could I get away with......

Purdoggies

Par Member
just these 3 discs? :D

Aviar P&A
Roc
Leopard

I think if I was going to take it down to three discs these would be the ones I would carry. Would this pretty much cover everything? If not, where would the limitations be? What one disc would you recommend I add to make up for any identified deficits?

Sure.

Will you dominate open with that set up? Nope.

Can you learn to throw almost any shot with those discs? Yep.

Would they pretty much cover all your needs? Not at all but you can throw them for ANY shot, so until you figure out personally what disc you need to hit different lines with greater success than X or Y disc already in the bag. That's when you add a mold which does something better than the other ones do.

As you get better as a player your control over a single disc increases but you also see the "need" for more discs as you understand how they can be valuable for your playing style and set up. I personally am a big fan of not throwing a bunch of different discs for different shots or "slots" in the bag but rather work all my discs out on different lines and understand when to use which one for what shots as they excel the best for that said situation. All disc fly hyzer, anhyzer but its how you can use their stability and speed to shape unique lines through the use of those release angles.

Good start. I did a similar thing with Ion/Anode, Vector and a Volt.

For just 3 discs I think I'd rather have a teebird than a leapard because You need a headwind driver. If I was carrying 4 I'd add the leopard back in.

^not really. You can throw a leopard or roc into a headwind no problem and IMO more important to master vs leaning on the stability of a disc to do the work for you.

That's a perfect example of where he might decide to add in a new mold but could even be something TRULY OS given what plastic the Leo is and condition as well as his overall skill level in general. Someone who doesn't hit 300' wont see a ton of difference from a TB or Leo and having a "headwind" disc is just confusing things for a simple bag.

Last edited:
^not really. You can throw a leopard or roc into a headwind no problem and IMO more important to master vs leaning on the stability of a disc to do the work for you.

That's a perfect example of where he might decide to add in a new mold but could even be something TRULY OS given what plastic the Leo is and condition as well as his overall skill level in general. Someone who doesn't hit 300' wont see a ton of difference from a TB or Leo and having a "headwind" disc is just confusing things for a simple bag.

Agreed. One solution is to get a Champ Leopard, a KC Pro Roc and a DX Aviar. Champ Leopard and KC Pro Roc will start off a little more OS but will really show a disc "beats in" and it won't take too long to do so if those are the only three discs you're using.

A fresh Champ Leopard works really well into even a pretty stiff headwind.

I read your other thread. Given the background you provided in that thread, my biggest recommendation is to stop ordering discs right now! People will give you recommendations until the cows come home about their favorite discs, and all you'll end up with is variants of the same disc(s) by every manufacturer.

You'd probably be fine with this of setup for a good, long while. If you find that the Leopard isn't working for you into a headwind, go ahead and throw in one of your Teebirds.

I guess I'm wondering why you're limiting yourself to only 3 discs?

Sure, you can get away with the 3 you have chosen just fine, but what is your goal?

Given the 3 you have chosen to start, I would add 2 more. A Teebird and a Valkyrie, both in Star plastic.

Sure, you can get away with the 3 you have chosen just fine, but what is your goal?

Given the 3 you have chosen to start, I would add 2 more. A Teebird and a Valkyrie, both in Star plastic.
I would suggest he's down the correct path with the three discs. He'll be able to figure out what he can and cannot do with just those three. Starter packs like the Innova Aviar/Shark/Leopard combo totally have it right. Start from there and build.

I would suggest he's down the correct path with the three discs. He'll be able to figure out what he can and cannot do with just those three. Starter packs like the Innova Aviar/Shark/Leopard combo totally have it right. Start from there and build.

Or the new Latitude and DD three-packs ;)

I play with more most of the time. Sometimes I just like to go light and not carry as much. These are the three I would pick out of my bag right now if I were to only carry three. I figure I could cover most shots with these. I was just wondering if others would concur with that assessment.

I use only 4 discs for 99% of my shots. I only carry 8, but rarely do I throw anything other than my primary 4. Putter, Mid, Fairway and Distance. I don't have a big arm, so I could totally get away with dropping the distance driver. I'm not sure if it's coincidence with work on form, but after I dropped down to 8 discs, my scores went down also and I just overall got more consistent with a smaller bag. I don't know that I could pull that off with 3, but I know I could with 4-5.

I didn't know they even did starter packs...cool! The DD one including the Cadet bag is a great idea!

They are fairly new-

Lat 64- Fury, Claymore, Mercy

Lightweight- Diamond, Pearl, Ruby

DD- Witness, Truth, Judge

Trilogy Challenge Set- Thief, Claymore, Shield

I play with more most of the time. Sometimes I just like to go light and not carry as much. These are the three I would pick out of my bag right now if I were to only carry three. I figure I could cover most shots with these. I was just wondering if others would concur with that assessment.

Then yes, those 3 would work just fine. It may be limiting, but you'll also learn what your discs are really capable of.

I do that quite often in the summer, I'll carry 4 discs in hand (no bag) and I just play.

Latest posts