• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course challenge competition idea

A few thoughts on this.

1.)Instead of using 100 pts per hole in your system, just use 1 full point as max value per hole(move your decimal, and get away from those fractions) then add on bonuses as needed (1.75 in your bonus par 4 example). Numbers are the same, but people can easliy digest smaller numbers, just a thought.

2.) Why bother? Not being sarcastic, I read your entire post, just can't figure out what is the overall point? Sounded like you were making a series type of event, but without a real formal structure. It would be alot of fun if 10 guys from your club picked 6 courses and you all made a weekend of it playing 3 each day with scorecards on each. Then you could use your scoring method as you saw fit after the fact. But in the end, they would still go with the I was +8 for the weekend vs you being -3... we know who won already. Set me straight here.

3.) I really do think that a funner way to play multiple courses is skins. Ball golf has a good handle on play varients, and I think the skins modal is underused in casual discgolf play. We like to play for lunch here anyway; if there are 4 of us, the losing 3 chip in and buy the winners lunch. $4 each or less isn't a big deal.

Thanks for sharing, I guess I just don't understand what you were thinking.

Last edited:
can someone sum it up pleasse

It's a way for people to compete with others from different areas without having to meet up. Most holes, being par threes, are worth 100 points for an ace, 50 for bird, 33.3 for par, 25 for boug. Just keep score like normal and later enter it into a point calculating spreadsheet.

Scarp, I see what you're going for. I particapate in a state
PHP:
wide co-op points series run through dgscene. The major differences being only league play counts, you get 2 points for showing up, 2 for every person/group you beat, 25 for winning, and 25 for an ace.

For my co-op, we normally hear the complaint of some leagues having an advantage due to difficulty of course and number of attendants due to more points available with better turnouts and easy courses having ace runs. On the east side, we have lower turnouts but have leagues almost every day. On the west side they have bigger turnouts but only a couple a week. The solution was to only count your two best points for the week- a solution many around here feel favors the west. I personally don't mind and I am gratefully we have it.
For your idea I imagine simmilar "problems" as I can just run at an outdated course for max points. Also, as much as it shouldn't be an issue, it can be- honesty. I tend to distrust a single player keeping their own score without whitnesses.

Slowroll, you don't have to keep track of the point totals- the spreadsheet will take care of that. Plus, 100 sounds cooler then 1- with that in mind, maybe it's value should be 1000;)

A few thoughts on this.

1.)Instead of using 100 pts per hole in your system, just use 1 full point as max value per hole(move your decimal, and get away from those fractions) then add on bonuses as needed (1.75 in your bonus par 4 example). Numbers are the same, but people can easliy digest smaller numbers, just a thought.

2.) Why bother? Not being sarcastic, I read your entire post, just can't figure out what is the overall point? Sounded like you were making a series type of event, but without a real formal structure. It would be alot of fun if 10 guys from your club picked 6 courses and you all made a weekend of it playing 3 each day with scorecards on each. Then you could use your scoring method as you saw fit after the fact. But in the end, they would still go with the I was +8 for the weekend vs you being -3... we know who won already. Set me straight here.

3.) I really do think that a funner way to play multiple courses is skins. Ball golf has a good handle on play varients, and I think the skins modal is underused in casual discgolf play. We like to play for lunch here anyway; if there are 4 of us, the losing 3 chip in and buy the winners lunch. $4 each or less isn't a big deal.

Thanks for sharing, I guess I just don't understand what you were thinking.

Like Craftsman said, The point is to create competition wherein someone from say California can play against someone from Florida. The Entire point scheme is designed to help balance out the score potential of different courses. If you play a gold level course and get +8 vs your opponent with -3 on a rec level course you might still win because your course would be worth more points to start. This also serves to create the need to use good strategy choosing where to play. This system would serve no purpose for 10 guys playing the same 6 courses, It is designed only as a mechanism to balance different courses against each other.

I just reread it and had it wrong about different regions but I still like the strategy aspect of playing different courses. You could go for short, easy courses and try to get as many holes in as possible or if your real good play high value tough courses and max you score per hole.

Yes, I agree the value in this is giving different value to different holes. IMO this is where it'd be really cool to see a more complex hole value then what par is. But I could see where more complexity would lose more followers. But, if it's just equated into a spreadsheet and you start a thread; See what your round was "rated", people should be all over that.

Latest posts