• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Closed

Geoffro

Eagle Member
Bronze level trusted reviewer
What a drag. Drove 30 miles to Big Eau Pleine today, and found it closed. Apparently We're waiting for the soil to dry out and the fairway grass to get started. I don't disagree with the concept, but it sure was a bummer to drive out there and find it closed.

There was no one around. I thought about it, but I didn't do it.

I thought this was a good example of how great the "current conditions" feature of this site is (anyone registered can input current conditions). I did so for BEP, right before I started this thread.

I really like that feature as well. We have a local course here that has been closed for awhile and I actually have a contact with the city that I call periodically to check on the status, then update the course conditions appropriately.

Hope there was another course not too far away...

I once played Horizons Park while it was closed. We drove 45 minutes to get there, so we didn't want to waste all that time and got in a quick round before dark.

That was very cool of you.

I used to run a course and several times tried to shut it down unsuccessfully. All I ever needed was one or two days to dry things up, but people would just walk past the tape and tear the living crap out of the course. I guess they were too important to follow directions. Then I'd spend the rest of the season trying to fix the damage while listening to people bitch about the bad condition my course was in. :wall:

Courses generally are not closed for no reason. Park guys generally are not trying to be ***holes. Disc golf courses unfortunately need to close from time to time, just like ball golf courses, softball fields, soccer fields and/or any other natural turf outdoor sports facility. It's cool that you respected that.

Yeah feel ur pain the other weekend, i drove to tellulah park in appleton only to find it was closed, no pins up but luckily the valley area has lots of courses so i wasn't to bummed

What a drag. Drove 30 miles to Big Eau Pleine today, and found it closed. Apparently We're waiting for the soil to dry out and the fairway grass to get started. I don't disagree with the concept, but it sure was a bummer to drive out there and find it closed.

I thought this was a good example of how great the "current conditions" feature of this site is (anyone registered can input current conditions). I did so for BEP, right before I started this thread.

You should've called Randy at Platypus Disc Works first! He is the tourney/course guru 'round those parts.

Courses generally are not closed for no reason. Park guys generally are not trying to be ***holes. Disc golf courses unfortunately need to close from time to time, just like ball golf courses, softball fields, soccer fields and/or any other natural turf outdoor sports facility. It's cool that you respected that.

I was traveling today, and was close to the course, so I drove in to see what things were like. It looks like everyone is respecting the closure of the course. The tape is still in place, and no tracks in the mud. I guess as least the folks that play here are in the right mind.

Someday we will figure out how to have time lapse cameras on every course that could simply be pointed at the closed sign whenever the course is closed. Not to mention we will be able to see how amazing the weather is and what the course looks like right there.

Latest posts