• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course Congestion

Yeah the stroller comment bugs me, just because some people pushing strollers are slow doesn't mean we all are. If I have the stroller, we are usually in a group of 3 (myself and my son and wife) and wee play pretty fast. If we are slowing someone down we let them play through. No matter the group size that is what we try to do.

I wasn't necessarily talking about the "seasoned" disc golfers. People that have been playing for a while know how to be courteous to the others on the course and I love seeing families out and about. That's what's great about this sport is that the whole family can go out and play :thmbup:. However, it just seems that there is an overabundance of 7-8 person groups on my local course playing slow. Then just as you're about to catch them, they tee off and move on, and repeat.

You guys definitely need some...uh...one...at least.

We need at least one public course that is. There is a 18 hole here on private land, kind of like Hogansville was if you played there back when it was open.

It's a fellow DGer's father's land, no permanent baskets, all discatcher sports except for 3 holes, which have skillshot baskets at the moment.

So while we don't have a real established course, we aren't empty handed. it's just a bunch of land he owns/hunts on, so the design gets changed quarterly. Holes lengths range from 250ft. - 650ft. which was the longest we've ever made. Plenty of land for a pro caliber course but being a die hard deer hunter, he will never (he's made it VERY clear to us) sell the land or allow it to be used for a public service anymore. He let it open once back in august last year and said it was just too much to handle, too many people on his land made him nervous, so now it's limited to 7 of us.

Not that it's top secret but the last time some players caught wind of it, he had to have the local police out there to remove some trespassers. This went on for a few weeks even with the big "PRIVATE PROPERTY" sign at the front of his driveway.

It may not be permanent but it's a bad ass piece of land for a real course. It's about 35 acres. Open/Wooded.

There's supposed to be a course in the making at Flat Rock park here but that's been in talks for years now and it still isn't there.

Last edited:
I think the thing to remember is that awarness/growth of the sport is a good thing provided a noob is properly educated on the etiquettes, respect for the course and it's visitors, and the employment of common sense practices.

Why exactly do we want awareness and growth in the sport? I liked it better when i could find a parking spot.

Make lemonade out of a lemon and use the course traffic to lobby the county, state, city, etc. to add disc golf to more of their parks. My club has used used daily signatures from the players at a course near me not only to preserve it instead of having it removed, but to have it expanded. If the municipal govt. realizes how much people like having disc golf in their parks, they'll be more likely to make more room for it. :)

here in Atlanta we only have a few courses that see crowds, but nothing like i've seen in michigan or OK City when travelling. Crowded at Redan is 20 cars in the lot. Crowded @ JP Moseley is seeing more than two other groups while you play your 18 holes. Alexander & Oregon do get crowded.

Downside is weak turnouts for league play. Crowded for league is 20+; most average ~10-15 people/week

Low tide is definitely the best time to hit the course, and playing during the day with better players has definitely improved my game.

Same situation here. I'm out at my local course from 9am-12pm everyday (tue-sat) because of work and out there on my days off from 12pm-8-9pm sunday and monday. I've definitely noticed that players who take the game seriously like to get out there early to avoid the crowds. Plus all our leagues and saturday tournaments are held at 9am anyhow.

Yes, but a few well placed discs to the back of some noobs head tends to get them off the course prety fast.
JK. :D

I love the fact that our sport is growing, I'm especaly happy with every new goddess out on the course.

I'm lucky to have a nice little short course near by that don't get tons of traffic. I go out with my 3 girls (one in a stroller), the wife and mom & dad. We go slow and take up a lot of room but there is usually no more than 2 other groups on the course. If I want to go to a busy course on the weekend....the family is left out and it's just me and a friend or two.

The ones that bug me at my home course are the group of drunks that drag a case of beer with them and throw cans all over and scream laugh and jackass on every hole.

He was pushing a stroller in one hand, carrying a 30 pack of Keystone in the other, and wearing his bag set up with speakers blasting 80s rock music along with about 6 of his friends.

I HATE players who bring along music during a round!!!!!

I had the unfortunate experience of being part of a large group where this was going on and it was just as annoying being part of the group as it is when I hear it from other groups. I love peaceful tranquil beauty of some of the ruggged courses in this great (but confused and often lost) nation.

I have a friend that has a radio with speakers made into his bag, he likes to play easy listening stuff on a volume during rounds and that's fine. He keeps the volume around 5% as if it's off in the distance ambient type. He usually plays stuff like Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, Sublime, etc.

This I don't mind, it's subtle and easy listening, but coming to the course blaring music real loud and throwing beer cans on the ground is an obnoxious thing to do, it's usually this type of rude behavior that causes a lot of fights.

for me the real downside to the increase in numbers at the course is the increase in garbage.
I don't mind if new people start playing, I just wish they wouldn't litter. I hate picking up after them, but I hate walking by and leaving the garbage even more :(

Im really getting sick of the groups of 12 that dont let the single guy play thru...

The young parents with strollers are mostly cool. Some of the groups of teens are obnoxious alright, but partly it's just their age.

What drives me crazy is the experienced groups of 8, 10, or 12 playing doubles. It's a pain even when they're courteous and let you play through. There is a reason that ball golf courses limit the number of players you can have in your group.

Latest posts