• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course in Development in Dillon Park, Sumter SC

kmelton

I have gotten approval for a course to be put in Sumter's Dillon Park. We cleared the fairways during the winter but has grown up a little since then. We are raising funds for the baskets. Currently we have money for 3 baskets. Anyone with advice or help to get this course in the ground would be great. We held a fundraiser tourney in April with temp baskets and everyone had a great time.

Dillon Park DG

Most of the disc golf courses I have been known use local community hole sponsors. Each organization pays for the cost for one hole and you place their business logos etc on the hole sign. Pretty cheap advertisement and you have funding for your course. I live in Dayton Ohio but my son lives in Sumter and as you know the nearest course is roughly 30 - 40 miles away. We used to live in San Antonio where two courses were 5 minutes from our house. I have 55 courses in a 60 mile radius from my house and I think 5 or 6 new courses have been started in the past 12 months. Work with your community and even the base as your course will provide them with opportunities for their airman to stay out of trouble. SA had a military appreciation tournament with local business donations that brought the community together with the local airman from the base. I am excited to see a course going in and I know my son will be out there a lot. Thanks for your effort and good luck with your fund raising.

I would contact the South Carolina Disc Golf Organization http://scdgo.net/ and some of the other city disc associations such as the Columbia and Charleston chapters to get ideas and possible assistance with course design and or funding ideas.

Okiewildcat

We have contacted several local businesses but haven't contacted anyone at Shaw yet. Simpsons Hardware just started carrying discs, but would not commit to helping sponsor a hole. I told them if a course is in Sumter you will sell a lot of discs. A lot of people want the course in, but hardly anyone wants to help it make it a reality. With Innova up the road at Rock Hill I wonder if they would help in some capacity. As a high school teacher I have recruited a lot of youth to play but kids don't have much clout when it comes to convincing the powers that be.

Lets get this started!!!

I will and can be your rep from Shaw AFB. I would love to see this course brought into this community. I was disappointed to not find one in Sumter and I am serious about one being established in our city. My father and the Longview Disc Golf Association have developed 2 course back in Texas and one in our own back yard. Feel free to contact me I know I can get some man power for any task this course takes to become a reality.

so did this ever happen? I just can't feature a course down there.

Join us on Facebook: "Sumter City Disc Golf Club" and I will be in touch when we go before the county council here in the near future. We could use some support from Shaw.

I have plans for Dillon Park 19 holes--Patriot Park 18--Palmetto Park 18--and Live Oak Park 18. If we can find city land to put a course in, we might have more luck.

Course

Hey man I would love to help you out with you and your course. I am in the process of finishing up Southeast Park here in Columbia and wondering if you would like to collaborate on some ideas and I might could help you get some baskets as well

It is so close I can taste it.

We have a fundraiser Tourney coming up March 28th to buy the remaining 6 baskets. Some clearing and ice storm damage from last year, and a new dog park will force us to change some of the layout.
We are having a work day March 7th at 10am to get the course ready for the tourney. Come out and make this happen.

I haven't been out to SE in a while but saw some of the pictures--looking forward to playing it. If you would still like to help we are having a workday this Sat. the 21st at Dillon Park at 9am.

The baskets have been ordered and the course in Dillon Park will be a reality. We are getting the new Salient/Liberty baskets in red. They are beefy baskets rated at the championship level. The course needs some work though to get it into shape so it can be ready for an inaugural tournament. I am shooting for sometime in July.

Sumter SC Dillon Park

I have gotten approval for a course to be put in Sumter's Dillon Park. We cleared the fairways during the winter but has grown up a little since then. We are raising funds for the baskets. Currently we have money for 3 baskets. Anyone with advice or help to get this course in the ground would be great. We held a fundraiser tourney in April with temp baskets and everyone had a great time.

We need some weed eating and 2 bridges built, and some minor clearing. If you want to help let me know.

Latest posts