• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course proposal help

djcadence

Par Member
So I have the estimates for the baskets, and signage for a course proposal. However I'm having issues for figuring out the cost for the teepads. Does anyone have a general estimate what the cost would be for gravel, concrete and rubber per teepad? If this info has been posted before please point me in the correct direction. Just a general ballpark number would help me out big time! We plan to put in 18 baskets with multiple tees and basket locations.

Many of the courses around here started off with natural tees.
1. Less upfront cost, city's more likely to go for it.
2. As the course develops, easier to tweak tee locations.

I know it's not what you asked for, but something else to think about.

This post is from 2009 (full thread here), but it should give you an idea of what you'll need which you can then use to call around and get solid estimates.

What size pad do you want? I took a look at what the cost would be for one 4ftX12ftX5in
.74 yards concrete per pad
13.32 yards
Cost = 1531.8
Add fiber mesh instead of rebar = +65. If you add rebar + 200

Formwork:
4X8 plywood = 9, 8 ft strips out of each one = 72 ft of form work.
Total footage needed for 18 tees = 864ft. 864/72 = 12 sheets of plywood at 13.50/sheet
Cost = $162

Construction Steaks (this is hammered in the ground every 4 ft or so? and the formwork is screwed into this):
I forget how many feet apart is required between the steaks but let's say you need 12/pad (4 corners, 1 extra in middles of short sides and 3 extra/side on long sides = 216 steaks (.32 each = 69.12).
Cost = 69.12

So that would be
Concrete = 1531.80
Plywood = 162
2X2 Construction steaks = 69.12
Total = 1762.92 + tax + either rebar or fiber mesh. Fiber mesh = $65 more for this order, otherwise add $200 for rebar, actually would be wire mesh, not real rebar.)

Hope that gives you an idea.

One of the environmental impact studies out there recommends cement tee pads to prevent erosion. You may be able to leverage that to get the more costly pads put in.

I have always heard $200 per tee including labor.

One of the environmental impact studies out there recommends cement tee pads to prevent erosion. You may be able to leverage that to get the more costly pads put in.

I have always heard $200 per tee including labor.

You might close but who knows....

So let's stop the cost speculation right now.

I work in road construction and deal with contracts and contractors all the time. Frankly, there's really no way to tell how much per pad it's going to be until you talk to a local contractor that specializes in concrete flat work. There are a dozens of variables including;
- The going cubic yard rate for concrete from local redi-mix suppliers
- Accessability to the site (what equipment will needed to move the concrete to each pad or can the truck drive up to it)
- If it does need to be moved...How far does the concrete need to be moved
- Are there any issues with compliance with local laws and environmental regs
- What will it take to prep each pad so it's close to level? (Don't ever make these concrete pad perfectly level folks - the water needs to go somewhere. 1% to 2% slope is perfect)

I mean, I could add many more items to the list but the reality is consulting with a local contractor is the way to go to figure out preliminary costs. Tell them you just need an idea what it will cost so you know what to tell those in charge. You do not need a true estimate or bid.

Many of the courses around here started off with natural tees.
1. Less upfront cost, city's more likely to go for it.
2. As the course develops, easier to tweak tee locations.

I know it's not what you asked for, but something else to think about.
I fully endorse the concept of starting with natural tees and only pouring concrete after the course has been played for a few months... there are just some things you don't know until you've lived with it for a while.

That said, it's can be hard to explain to non-players that you don't want to put the tees in for a few months, and prefer to see how the course play to allow for modifications before installing permanent tees. They tend to take that as a sign that if you really knew what you were doing, you'd know where to put the tees.

Also the point that it's easier to get them to spend money once rather than twice... even if it's same cost either way.

And when it comes to concrete I suggest you contact Bultx1215... or just check out his posts. He's probably discussed the cost of concrete somewhere. Dude really seems to know his concrete.

Last edited: