• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Course trend

open courses dont get a ton of love from any real players here. I wouldn't play disc golf if all we had were wide open golf course style courses.
Like many, I prefer wooded and technical to wide open (something that is reflected in my ratings for the most part), HOWEVER...

1. When you live in an area dominated by wooded/brushy courses (like me), getting out on course that's fairly open like The Ponds at Lakeshore, or The Lyon's Den can be a very refreshing change of pace. Having that kind of variety available to you locally can actually help keep you engaged in the game, as opposed to most of the courses in a given area feeling pretty much the same in a lot of ways.

2) Successfully creating a reasonably challenging course on a piece of fairly open property is in many ways more difficult than doing so in the woods. Just to clarify: I'm referring strictly to the actual laying out and design of a course, and not at all to the amount of physical work involved in making it happen.

You really need consider the angles shots are likely to come in from to really make the most of the few obstacles the property offers. I'm not saying either of the courses I've linked is a masterpiece, but I will say designers did a better job on those two courses than on several of the wooded courses in the area (some of which I myself have rated higher than those two), partially due to the fact that some parcels simply make it easier to layout a course that's fun and challenging.

How well designers bring (or fail to bring) certain elements into play is something I've come to appreciate. I notice it as I work my way through a course, and it contributes to my overall enjoyment of the game. I really admire where people do more with less, kinda like a coach who wins a championship without necessarily having the most talented players.

Last edited:
Hitting that perfect line or gap in the woods feels more rewarding than an ace at times lol.

100% agree with this. I posted the below pic in another thread, but is so applicable to this statement...hitting that flex between the trees and having it come back over the creek and sit down in front of the basket...so sweet. Give me that shot over a 225' ace run any day.

Attachments

• 20170518_111803.jpg
    20170518_111803.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 9
I love all kinds of holes, but my favorites are usually shorter and technical. I love getting to a hole and being forced to pick from only a few shots, but as you play them more often you see more and more lines and they keep themselves fresh. Also as vegetation grows the course changes with it, alleys tighten up, bushes get higher. Keeps you on your toes. Plus an ace on this kinda hole feels soooo sweet [emoji16][emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
29956740d10b1a5f1dfbd6eedc2b00a6.jpg

Latest posts