• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

courses on college campuses

greg_b_4

Birdie Member
How many courses are there on college campuses? Does anyone know of any good examples where the course is on campus? I don't mean just on the college grounds in the woods but actually on campus. I've been approached by a local private college to design and install a course and curious of what works well on a campus. The campus isn't large at all and I can either go with 6 good holes that will cater to different levels or I can install a shorter 9 holes just to give the students something to do between classes. I'm leaning toward the latter. I can fit in 9 holes with avg lengths of 200-220 ft and still do it safely. If anyone has suggestions or experience playing or designing college campus courses I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The only one I've played is
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2520#

Played on a summer Sunday when the school was out of session. Navigation is real quirky, but it's rather fun.

It would be unplayable during the school day.

The good thing about a short course is that it can be enjoyed with Frisbees. They still toss Frisbees at college, don't they?

The only one I've played is
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2520#

Played on a summer Sunday when the school was out of session. Navigation is real quirky, but it's rather fun.

It would be unplayable during the school day.

The good thing about a short course is that it can be enjoyed with Frisbees. They still toss Frisbees at college, don't they?

lol I'm not sure if they do or not, been a bit since I've been out of school. But the Director of Residence Life & Counseling Services and the school President are who contacted me. They are all in and will have discs for the students to check out at the student union. I'm thinking if I go with the shorter fun course all the school needs are putters and mids.

Clemson's course is at their recreation area, Y beach, and not on the campus; and yes, there are PLENTY of ultimate disc frisbees thrown at colleges, and a common giveaway from businesses is super-cheap frisbees with whatever their logo and phone number is, so a shorter course would definitely be a good idea.

Just searching college yields 8 pages of results, prob more w university, so there are lots!

Played one in Missouri, Evangel? Also think UCA has one in Conway, AR, neither in the woods

I played the course on Lawrence Tech here in Michigan. It circles the soccer fields through a small patch of woods and then the back 9 surround the rest of the parking lot and campus....pretty easy course tho.

Old dog I think I've heard of that second course lol. Sadly I don't have that kind of land to work with. This campus is very small

Miami U in Oxford, OH used to have a nice 18 hole course running right through the middle of campus. They had to remove several holes a couple years ago to make room for some new buildings. So at the moment it is a 9 hole course. There are plans in the works to redesign the course back to 18 but they better not mess with this hole...

d1f303e5_m.jpg

Playing under this bridge is just way to much fun to change.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6161&mode=ci

Last edited:
Miami U in Oxford, OH used to have a nice 18 hole course running right through the middle of campus. They had to remove several holes a couple years ago to make room for some new buildings. So at the moment it is a 9 hole course. There are plans in the works to redesign the course back to 18 but they better not mess with this hole...

d1f303e5_m.jpg

Playing under this bridge is just way to much fun to change.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6161&mode=ci

Damn shame what has happened to that course, but at the same time I like seeing that the alma mater continues to grow. If it hadn't been there as an 18-holer when I was a student, I definitely wouldn't be the player I am now (hell, I might have lost interest all together).

Loved that hole under the bridge (originally #5) and the one before it, and the one playing downhill away from the Western Bell Tower.

Eastern Michigan University has a course on campus. I almost broke my neck (OK, not really, but I thought I was going to die) on the (wet) rubber teepad for hole 1. I played off to the side on the rest.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3656

This course flows through campus - Dorms, parking lots, classrooms...

thanks! This is exactly the kind of course I was looking for. Something really close to the actual school. Looked like a lot of blind shots, has there been anyone hurt with a disc? Interesting there were a lot of pics of holes going over sidewalks. Just the way this school is laid out I'm gonna be near buildings and sidewalks, but I wanted to steer clear of actually throwing over them. Another reason I want to keep the holes short and no blind shots.

I just remembered that Western Carolina University (http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1085&mode=lf) has a course on campus. However, the people who I've talked to who go there said they don't like it because it's in the way of a lot of foot traffic and they don't feel safe when people are chucking frisbees at them. So you might want to spend some time watching where people walk to make sure that your holes don't create a huge safety issue.

I go to Purdue University, and there are two 9 hole courses on campus. The first nine take place on Slayter Hill, which, as the name suggests, is a big hill with a large stage at the bottom. A residence hall is right across the parking lot that is O.B. to the right of Hole 1. Pedestrians are an issue at times, and the baskets are taken out the weekends of home football games and also between Thanksgiving and Spring Break.

The back nine are just down the road and go through a more secluded park (Pickett Park) and the intramural fields. The same rules apply for when these baskets are installed.

Both courses are "on campus," but do not navigate anywhere near the heart of the academic buildings.

Latest posts