• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Courtesy to female players in 2017 - Can it exist?

Yes, it would be phenomenal for people to respect casual rounds with the same amount of respect as a serious tourney round but it's just not realistic. Casual rounds in public parks = lots of people that don't take DG seriously and they have no idea why anyone would either. Even serious players, in casual round settings, are usually unwinding and just chillin' (you'll appreciate the need for casualness in a DG round if you start playing tourneys regularly).

Thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I forget about !!
Going to play my first tournament soon, so it will be interesting to see how it goes on.

The upside is it's BYOP mixed doubles, so I'll have a security-blanket-man with me. Yay!

That is my favorite format for tourney... BYOP doubles...

Good luck in it, have fun, follow the rules, bring water and snacks along with you... get in a psychological cold war with the other team... play smart golf not risky golf... etc so on...

esp the psychological cold war... that is the best part (I kid)

Generally speaking it's because you started a conversation that brought out some serious discussion, which usually then devolves into a mess. It's nothing personal.

I am a bit confused though, as you seem to have the spark for "toughness" (either love you or dead to me comment), yet you worry about making waves and being seen in a negative light at leagues.

Who knows, he might have been talking about his new disc to a friend. Some guys tend to get a little overzealous with their love of their plastic.

Thanks, DanJon. I know better than to take all the devolved stuff personally. I was more annoyed because I had a text file full of replies and comments and nowhere to go!! It was kind of ironic that a fight broke out in a thread about courtesy. That's the internet for you !!

I am tough in some aspects, for sure. Perhaps it's a paradox of being southern, being brought up to not make waves - something isn't quite right. I do try to be a lady and have high expectations of others. (I'm sure some would say, 'well that's your problem, right there!')

Wow, Queen made this broken, testosterone-filled, conversation back into an actual sane discussion.

To which I reply...another glass of wine, honey?

Anyway, you made a lot of good points and explained things quite well. All I can say, is tough out the lame dudes messing with you on the course, and keep on playing DG !

I sure will !!
Chablis & Thank you :D

Thanks for that. That's the sort of thing I forget about !!
Going to play my first tournament soon, so it will be interesting to see how it goes on.

The upside is it's BYOP mixed doubles, so I'll have a security-blanket-man with me. Yay!

BYOP is super fun, you'll have a good time.

I think it's hard, if not impossible, for a man to fully understand what it's like going through life as a woman. I think it's getting better but there are so many things we don't' even notice that can come across as condescending at best from a woman's point of view. Probably the best thing to do as guys is if you're in the group with Mr. Sweetheart to tell him, "that probably didn't come across how you meant it." Unless he's a pig.

I get what you are saying, but life presents trials and tribulations for all of us. I guess....unless you are a bland, white, hetro, christian, male between 25 and 35 y/o....then life is golden, huh? :p

I get what you are saying, but life presents trials and tribulations for all of us. I guess....unless you are a bland, white, hetro, christian, male between 25 and 35 y/o....then life is golden, huh? :p
It does indeed. But when it's possible we should try to not be the cause of other people's trials and tribulations.

Here's a bit of food for thought...

Unfortunately, most women have experienced some type of unwanted attention from men that has gone too far and has put them in a potentially unsafe situation. I think those prior experiences can cause our subconscious to jump straight to "high alert" in situations that won't necessarily cause harm, especially since being alone in the woods is not the safest-feeling place for a woman. Even if we can quickly rationalize that we are safe, it is hard to get back into the mental zone needed to play successful disc golf.

To be a better than average disc golfer, it's essential to work on your mental game. I've known plenty of players who had the physical skills but would meltdown over really stupid things. Confidence and the ability to stay focused can potentially be more important than raw skills alone. I encourage people to talk while I'm putting, it makes me better at tuning out distractions. You have control over your headspace, you can't control what other people say or do.

With the above post in mind, you should have a group of guys follow you around and whistle, cat-call, and call you "sweetheart" until you have a Terminator-type mental game.:hfive:

Sometimes the bad in life can make a person better.

Plot twist:

"Queen" is really sillybiz's sock puppet account.

With the above post in mind, you should have a group of guys follow you around and whistle, cat-call, and call you "sweetheart" until you have a Terminator-type mental game.:hfive:

Sometimes the bad in life can make a person better.

I totally think the adversity can make you better at whatever if it's something you can turn around instead of letting it be destructive to you personally. As they say, it's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good.

That is really amusing, though! The idea of hiring a pack of dirtbags to follow me around and be disgusting. Maybe I can get an improv troupe. :clap:

When I was practicing with my team mate, he (like others) told me my game wasn't angry enough, aggressive enough. It's kind of like having to act angry for the half-second it takes to snap the disc. I gotta harness my anger and use it to my advantage.

I was super super pissed off after I holed out and it kept building inside. The next hole was a par 3 and I missed my putt, getting a 4. Straight down the fairway, no OB, no trees! For me, that's *really* good !!

On to the hole after, too shook up to play. :\ Round over.

Not to be on about stereotypes, but yeah, red hair and a raging temper are totally bedfellows. :(

I was super super pissed off after I holed out and it kept building inside. The next hole was a par 3 and I missed my putt, getting a 4. Straight down the fairway, no OB, no trees! For me, that's *really* good !!

On to the hole after, too shook up to play. :\ Round over.

Meant to clarify that that was the catcall day. :doh:

When I can't finish a round normally, it's because I'm just too tired. :thmbdown:

New rule:

Whenever a guy catcalls a girl, anytime, anywhere they should be detained and driven to a local gay bar. We should pay all the guys and drag queens in there to make these a$$hat guys feel like a women feels when they're being creeped on.

oh my...

I've been hit on by dudes especially when I was younger... I didn't mind it because I'd get drinks bought for me. That doesn't seem right now that I think about it. :|

oh my...

I've been hit on by dudes especially when I was younger... I didn't mind it because I'd get drinks bought for me. That doesn't seem right now that I think about it. :|

I think it's fine as long as you're not leading them on, haha.

Dose of your own medicine, lulz! If only we could do the same for the catcallers! Decent seque? :D