• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critique my setup

murray18

Hey folks!

I'm new to the sport (well, except for a few founds in college) and am trying to learn as much as possible. For background, I was a pretty good ultimate player and have some disc handling skills. For what it's worth, I was also a pretty high level amateur (ball) golfer before the working world interfered. None of those skills have translated to disc golf at all... lol

I've pieced together a set of discs from ones I had laying around, a starter set, and a couple new ones to fill in some obvious gaps.

I would love it if someone could critique my set—let me know if I have any redundancies or any glaring holes. If anyone has some tips on how to translate ultimate to disc golf, that would also be great!

Dx Wraith
Prime Escape
Dx cheetah
Prime truth
Dx Roc
Dx cobra
2 Prime judges

Thanks so much! Cant wait to get involved in this great game!

Thank you! Not terribly far—today I paced off a few between 240' and 270'. I threw one that I forgot to pace off, but that I think went around 300' with a little tailwind.

Most importantly to me, my long one had a nice flight and didn't float and fall left. I'm having a very difficult time keeping my throws low like I see on videos of the pros, and the majority of the ones I throw he'd are extremely wild.

Last edited:
Tips on the switch from ultimate:
1) Try to work on flatter releases. Almost no disc golf discs like the amount of hyzer that does so well for Ultrastars, both forehand and backhand. Also, as a handler, you can get away with mostly just wrist motion in the throw unless you're hucking or pulling. One key in disc golf (especially drives, but really all throws) is getting you're whole body behind the backhand throw. The arm and wrist aren't as important as getting your weight shift and rotation right, from weight shift to hip rotation to upper body, which translates to the arm.
2) It seems pretty random which skills will translate. My forehand from ultimate translated immediately to a decent DG forehand, but backhand didn't. Others have had the opposite experience.
3) As a handler, I'm guessing you have at least some overhand game. You'll find lots of disc golfers think a thumber is the gold standard overhand. They're wrong. A tomahawk (hammer) is an awesome disc golf shot, whether you're throwing it short distance to get over something with a putter or mid, or throwing a Champion Firebird 240'. (A champ Firebird is a good pickup for any new player, though it might require some growing into.)
4) Get a Comet! An X Comet is a disc that any Ultrastar thrower ought to click with quickly, and it's also a disc that will stay useful for a long time.
5) Another thing with ultimate is that an Ultrastar feels awkward to throw forehand. Embrace it. You'll find you can throw many discs forehand, even though some of your new DG buddies will think it awkward to throw some discs forehand.
6) I agree with slowplastic about the nose-down thing. Disc golf discs (especially over speed 5 or so) fade out way quicker than lids when nose up.

Thanks everyone for the tips! I had today off, so I went out for some practice this morning. Using everyone's tips, I was immediately throwing farther, and I made my first birdie on a wooded 320 foot par 3!

I had to get in the river twice to retrieve discs, but I'm going to chalk that one up to my bad throws having a bit more travel. Lol

Thanks everyone!

Seems like a solid lineup of discs to start with. Have you tried going to any local leagues? An easy way to get better is to play with people that are better than you and see what certain discs are capable of. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Hey folks!

I'm new to the sport (well, except for a few founds in college) and am trying to learn as much as possible. For background, I was a pretty good ultimate player and have some disc handling skills. For what it's worth, I was also a pretty high level amateur (ball) golfer before the working world interfered. None of those skills have translated to disc golf at all... lol

I've pieced together a set of discs from ones I had laying around, a starter set, and a couple new ones to fill in some obvious gaps.

I would love it if someone could critique my set—let me know if I have any redundancies or any glaring holes. If anyone has some tips on how to translate ultimate to disc golf, that would also be great!

Dx Wraith
Prime Escape
Dx cheetah
Prime truth
Dx Roc
Dx cobra
2 Prime judges

Thanks so much! Cant wait to get involved in this great game!

Have you used a Rattler? That disc is like a more common disc golf sized Ultimate Disc.

great starter bag for sure, no high speed/ OS stuff needed for now, The Add a Comet advice is sound, it will teach you proper form,

you could FH/Flick the Escape to learn proper FH form

And a lighter weight leopard should be every beginners best friend IMHO

The Judge is a fantastic putter, you could collect several more of those for putting/upshot practice, which is the MOST important part of disc golf IMHO, for scoring purposes

good luck with building your bag and learning the great sport of Disc Golf

(Cough... Cough... Star leopard....)
You may want to consider a better plastic for your next purchase, especially in the driver department. They deal with trees more. Other than that, it looks like a great start. If you played ultimate you may want to consider a 'lid' for upshots and drives off the tee.

(Cough... Cough... Star leopard....)
You may want to consider a better plastic for your next purchase, especially in the driver department. They deal with trees more. Other than that, it looks like a great start. If you played ultimate you may want to consider a 'lid' for upshots and drives off the tee.

That or Champion if you do not like how much grip Star plastic has.