• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critiques for my form (Please Help!)

leroybrown

I need all the tips and suggestions I can get to help my driving form. I have been working on trying not to "Duck or Squat" down through my technique, but it's gonna be hard to break. Anything else would be great!! Thanks so much!

Beaches, Babes, Disc Golf

First thing that jumps out at me is your timing is off. You make your x-step, pause, then initiate your throw. Just after right foot plants and starts to pivot, your hips need to follow, then core, then shoulders and arms..etc. These other guys will have a lot more to add in detail I'm sure.

You definitely need to work on fixing the "squat". Fixing bad habits is always hard, but it'll pay off if you spend the time breaking them. Other than that, I'm not very good at picking apart someones form. SW22 should be on this in a few minutes to help you out.

The squat kills all momentum. There are a lot of basics to fix, but first work on that....
I see you already noticed that.

your form is like a girl with a huge wart on her face, until the wart is removed, that is all we will notice.
When you fix the squat it will be easier to fix the lesser issues.

Your pull is low, down at your stomach

Last edited:

The squat kills all momentum. There are a lot of basics to fix, but first work on that....
I see you already noticed that.

your form is like a girl with a huge wart on her face, until the wart is removed, that is all we will notice.
When you fix the squat it will be easier to fix the lesser issues.

Your pull is low, down at your stomach

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

You seem to stop your follow through with both your hips and arm. In my experience this will lead to both injury and a more strained throwing motion.

This, also the OP already has a bad shoulder, so this is going to make it worse.

So I should try and follow through more? Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but will following through more help injuries and etc.?

not more, smoother.

When you stop your momentum you compensate by adding a short burst of power into your arms. If you shorten your follow through too much will make it worse, but you are all ready following through all the way to your back hyper extending your shoulder.

look at the kid in my sig, his arm comes back,. but does not actually touch his back.

Last edited:
this is your follow through
followthrough.jpg

That is a lot of stress on the shoulder.
This is the only pic I have of mine (a year ago)
Pic1-1.jpg

Last edited:
instead of having a chain reaction of events that lets the power flow from your lower body in to your arm you have a very mechanical jerky type motion.

your hip rotation and shoulder rotation are happening all at once, your hips should lead your shoulders and help pull them around. you're also taking huge fan swings with the disc like you're hitting a baseball. the disc shouldn't move in a circular path, it should go back and then come straight through your right pec.

to get rid of the squatting do a lot of throws standing still, up on your tip toes, without an x-step. after you do that for a while try walking through it all very slowly until you get the feel for it.

remember that the explosion comes when the disc gets to your right pec, before that it's all a steady and very smooth acceleration that gets you in position for the hit. right now you're just trying to throw it really hard and accelerating way to soon to get the full power of your body in to your throw.

one last tip and i'll shut up, you seem a bit antsy before you throw. maybe it's because you're taping but i'd suggest taking some deep breaths and slowing down your breathing before throwing. remember, smooth is far.

not more, smoother.

When you stop your momentum you compensate by adding a short burst of power into your arms. If you shorten your follow through too much will make it worse, but you are all ready following through all the way to your back hyper extending your shoulder.

look at the kid in my sig, his arm comes back,. but does not actually touch his back.

Exactly. Pulling your hips through will keep you from actually putting that strain through your arm and upper body. This is why I don't understand how Markus Kallstrom can throw a disc the way he does. It just looks so painful and forced

Balance is way too far behind your heels. Stay lighter, more on your toes.

instead of having a chain reaction of events that lets the power flow from your lower body in to your arm you have a very mechanical jerky type motion.

your hip rotation and shoulder rotation are happening all at once, your hips should lead your shoulders and help pull them around. you're also taking huge fan swings with the disc like you're hitting a baseball. the disc shouldn't move in a circular path, it should go back and then come straight through your right pec.

to get rid of the squatting do a lot of throws standing still, up on your tip toes, without an x-step. after you do that for a while try walking through it all very slowly until you get the feel for it.

remember that the explosion comes when the disc gets to your right pec, before that it's all a steady and very smooth acceleration that gets you in position for the hit. right now you're just trying to throw it really hard and accelerating way to soon to get the full power of your body in to your throw.

one last tip and i'll shut up, you seem a bit antsy before you throw. maybe it's because you're taping but i'd suggest taking some deep breaths and slowing down your breathing before throwing. remember, smooth is far.

Thanks for all the help! I'll definitely be thinking about these things when i go and throw in a field again

Latest posts