• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

cutting a roll of vinyl in half...

crouchingwombat

Birdie Member
I got a free 3M roll a year or so ago and just got a 24" plotter, wondering if any of you have cut a roll in half and how you did it. I'm thinking my best bet is the miter saw, i might have a blade for fine wood work I could thrown on there.
Thanks
CW

I think a band saw would work better if you can find someone that owns one.

A mitre saw would work, but it wouldn't give as clean of an edge.

I used my sawzall (note the ALL :) ) with a metal cutting blade. The blade isn't the issue, like someone mentioned, run the blade slow, no matter the device. also, use masking tape 360 degrees around the roll where you're going to cut. I actually cut my 3M rolls into 11" rolls with one 10" left over. shorten the 11s and get the 10 a little longer, and all 5 will be easily usable. the 10" gets a little hairy when dyeing mids, and I work perfectly fine with 11"

I used my sawzall (note the ALL :) ) with a metal cutting blade. The blade isn't the issue, like someone mentioned, run the blade slow, no matter the device. also, use masking tape 360 degrees around the roll where you're going to cut. I actually cut my 3M rolls into 11" rolls with one 10" left over. shorten the 11s and get the 10 a little longer, and all 5 will be easily usable. the 10" gets a little hairy when dyeing mids, and I work perfectly fine with 11"

Good tips, 'cuz I'll soon be splitting a roll with a friend.:thmbup:

i just cut my roll with an xacto knife and made 4 12" rolls. i didnt cut the cardboard tube tho, i just removed the vinyl feom that and rolled it up. works just fine and didnt need a saw

i just cut my roll with an xacto knife and made 4 12" rolls. i didnt cut the cardboard tube tho, i just removed the vinyl feom that and rolled it up. works just fine and didnt need a saw

I was thinking about trying that too, but didn't know how the blade would go thru the cardboard, never thought about cutting the vinyl only.:thmbup: