• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Cyborg Disc Golfer!

First off, super cool. That guy has a great shop, amazing what he can machine seemingly as a hobbyist.

How did such a smart guy completely overlook the impact of spin on disc flight?? It was a complete afterthought. His first design would have produced even less spin, so good thing it failed. I can't imagine it would have been hard to design some spin production into that contraption, shame he didn't put 2 and 2 together before spending all that time.

I also wonder how long I would last addressing my spouse as "wife" as I ask her to fetch things for me.

First off, super cool. That guy has a great shop, amazing what he can machine seemingly as a hobbyist.
He's a bit more than a hobbyist - he's talked in a lot of his other videos about the work that led to having this shop. He was a lead engineer over large teams for a 3D printer company - focused on R&D. His initial machinery was cast off or purchased through his team there. And then, as his YouTube channel got really big companies started sending him equipment so that he could feature it. What he's got is well beyond even his own means at this point.

I'm amped about this video, I love this channel.
How did such a smart guy completely overlook the impact of spin on disc flight?? It was a complete afterthought. His first design would have produced even less spin, so good thing it failed. I can't imagine it would have been hard to design some spin production into that contraption, shame he didn't put 2 and 2 together before spending all that time.
Excited to see how he fails, he's pretty dogged - if he failed this time around, he's going to probably put together another video. If you look through his old videos you'll see he has a history of failing, and then putting together a new video with an improved version of whatever it was he didn't get right - whether that's the baseball bat that hits a ball 700+ feet or the basketball hoop you can't miss a shot on.
I also wonder how long I would last addressing my spouse as "wife" as I ask her to fetch things for me.
Ongoing gag - she often gets the best of him.

It looks like I may be unproductive at work today...
My personal favorites are probably the hair cutting machine videos, the archery video, and the unpickable lock.

The collaboration with LockPickingLawyer was a ton of fun.
The archery video is one of the most impressive projects, to me.
And the hair cutting stuff is the funniest content.

My personal favorites are probably the hair cutting machine videos, the archery video, and the unpickable lock.

The collaboration with LockPickingLawyer was a ton of fun.
The archery video is one of the most impressive projects, to me.
And the hair cutting stuff is the funniest content.

Hair cutting machine you say...

04032020_Flowbee-box_164552.jpg

Maybe this machine could be slowed down to human velocity & used to somehow standardize flight numbers?

That would be really sweet! Like ball golf's Iron Mike (aka Iron Byron) was used to test clubs and balls....this could be used as you say to standardize flight numbers. Set it up so it "throws" perfectly flat....have a straight line drawn on the ground/floor and "throw" the disc along that line. How much it moves off the line would set the turn and fade numbers. Only issue is that discs are thrown at different speeds....so what do you determine first?

I think you would want to determine a set actual speed for each flight number speed. Like 40 mph is the 'sweet spot' for all 7 speed discs. Then you could throw all 7 speeds at that mph value and see how the disc flies when thrown perfectly flat....that would then determine the other three numbers.

One time I saw (on this site and others) a formula where you could take the speed of the disc multiply it by something and that would give you the speed it should be thrown at. That could be used to test discs. I've also seen one where originally Innova's disc speeds were set by the width of the rim.

But, the bottom line is there are so many variables, you would need to determine a starting point for speed. Then test at that speed to get the rest of the values.

That would be really sweet! Like ball golf's Iron Mike (aka Iron Byron) was used to test clubs and balls....this could be used as you say to standardize flight numbers. Set it up so it "throws" perfectly flat....have a straight line drawn on the ground/floor and "throw" the disc along that line. How much it moves off the line would set the turn and fade numbers. Only issue is that discs are thrown at different speeds....so what do you determine first?

I think you would want to determine a set actual speed for each flight number speed. Like 40 mph is the 'sweet spot' for all 7 speed discs. Then you could throw all 7 speeds at that mph value and see how the disc flies when thrown perfectly flat....that would then determine the other three numbers.

One time I saw (on this site and others) a formula where you could take the speed of the disc multiply it by something and that would give you the speed it should be thrown at. That could be used to test discs. I've also seen one where originally Innova's disc speeds were set by the width of the rim.

But, the bottom line is there are so many variables, you would need to determine a starting point for speed. Then test at that speed to get the rest of the values.

I think it's more that there is a release speed range where a given disc will behave consistently. If the machine could test at different speeds, we could get data showing at what speed range a given disc would fly roughly as intended. I think the size of those ranges would vary significantly and it would be interesting to see if what the data says are finicky or consistent discs line up with the conventional wisdom. I expect understable, fast discs would have the smallest speed range to achieve intended flight.

Of course there's so much variation within any mold that ygiagam whether those results would apply to the discs you own.

Last edited:
I think it's more that there is a release speed range where a given disc will behave consistently. If the machine could test at different speeds, we could get data showing at what speed range a given disc would fly roughly as intended. I think the size of those ranges would vary significantly and it would be interesting to see if what the data says are finicky or consistent discs line up with the conventional wisdom. I expect understable, fast discs would have the smallest speed range to achieve intended flight.

Of course there's so much variation within any mold that ygiagam whether those results would apply to the discs you own.

I very much agree. Once this gets developed (whether StuffMadeHere perfects it and sells it to a manufacturer, or if someone else does it), the next step is throwing a disc at all different speeds to get data on how speed affects it, then change the amount of spin it has to see how that affects it, then change discs to see how different discs work, etc.

I.e., I think this is only the beginning. Idk if that'll happen soon though.

All the versions produced spin. One conclusion stated was he would need more spin for the speed it was throwing, "I'm gonna need a lot more spin."

All his dialogue is witty; saying "the Wife" was no social blunder, it's part of the equation. Just like:

The engineer, inventor, fabricator, entrepreneur; "Do you want to hold it?"

The Wife; "No."

Got to give this guy credit for his tenacity.
How much you figure all these iterations cost him?