• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dangerous design in Cape Girardeau.

You can't see the playground in the middle of 4 and 5 cause it hadn't been built as of the time of the pic.
There is something on the map to the right of the line for # 4 about halfway down the fairway. I was assuming that was the playground. Whatever that is, it is in the middle of the #4-#5 fairway and will get hit with discs from people playing both of those holes as well as by errant shots from #3.

The pin for # 3 will have shots thrown by people playing #5 land in the circle if it is really that close as well. Holes #3-#4-#5 are a really bad design even if they were the only things around there; add in the roads and whatever that building is to the equation and it's a horrible design. If there is a playground right there that can be hit from all three holes, the design is really something from a safety aspect that should never be allowed to happen.

Thanks Three but it is out of my hands. I wrote the guy and told him of the danger. He says a lot of thought went into this.
After all , it's not a destination disc golf course. It's for the college kids and they will be the ones they blame when people get hurt, not the course designers.

I don't know the magic number, but Chuck Kennedy will. You should ask him how far apart two parallel holes need to be for safety if there are no natural features such as trees or elevation to create any sort of barrier. It probably depends somewhat on the length of the holes, but there should be a general rule of thumb to go with. I know back in the day they used to say a safe tee was at least 100' away from the last basket, so I'd guess the middle lines of two parallel fairways at a minimum would have to be 200' apart to be safe. There is nowhere near 200' between #4 and #5. They look closer to 20' apart.

I think they have to go down the exact same fairway for about 100 feet.
When all this flooding is over with I will get back there with my camera and take pics.

Here are a couple of pics.
Tee shot on #4
Floodspring2011014-1.jpg

Standing at the playground looking toward the basket
Floodspring2011016.jpg

Hole #1 green
Floodspring2011004.jpg

Hole #2 tee
Floodspring2011007.jpg

And the approach shot
Floodspring2011010.jpg

^That last pic is looking down #4 and the one above it is #5 tee. 5 minutes is not enought time for dial-up mistake fixin'.

Hole #10's approach shot. I think I could miss the kids and the cars--------------mabey 50% of the time! hhahaaha

Floodspring2011045.jpg

BTW all these pics on the last two pages were taken between 1 and 1:45 thursday afternoon. You should see it when it's busy!

This is 100 miles south of St. Louis and they are using Innova baskets. It's also just a 10 hole course so I doubt he is the one to contact.
I should just shut up and let the chips fall where they may.
Good luck Cape Girardeau and may you go accident free.:hfive:

just to let you guys know, Innova saw this thread and contacted the St Louis club for help. I have calls in to the city and SEMO. It is bad.

I missed it when the pictures were posted. Lordy, Lordy that is the most dangerous course I've ever seen, and I've seen some bad ones. Hole # 4 shoots directly over the playground. That's insane. Hole # 9 shooting at the park bench is another highlight. I love disc golf, but I can't imagine ever trying to play that course. Waaayyy to dangerous.

Unfortunately for Innova, they have to get involved. Neither SEMO or the parks department were going to listen to anybody. Innova pretty much has to threaten to pull the baskets to get their attention. Hopefully something can be salvaged there, because Cape needs a course. From the looks of this park, it's not the spot.

Oh, wow...they poured tees already. Good Lord they have a mess on their hands.

Word of advice to anybody putting in a course...don't pour tees until year two. It gives you time to tweak the design if it doesn't turn out like you thought it would on paper. Get some landscaping flags and field marking paint and test things out. Once you pour tees, you are screwed.

Oh, wow...they poured tees already. Good Lord they have a mess on their hands.

Word of advice to anybody putting in a course...don't pour tees until year two. It gives you time to tweak the design if it doesn't turn out like you thought it would on paper. Get some landscaping flags and field marking paint and test things out. Once you pour tees, you are screwed.

Definitely great advice, Three Putt. When I saw the tees in these pictures I couldn't believe it!

Latest posts