• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DD Marksman Basket or Normal Basket

Mcgriff

Looking into getting a basket and thinking the marksman by DD would b an awesome basket to force me to concentrate more during practice i have thrown at gateways version of the basket...but they say practice like u will on the course/tourney rounds which makes me want to buy a normal basket...anyone have any opinions on this or used the DD Marksman or Gateway Titan (same basket) would like to get feedback thanks!

What kind of baskets are out there for a portable good value..do people ever poat thsm for sale?...I'm definitely not looking at anything with less than at least 18 chains

Either choice has merit. I chose to buy a basket that caught as well as the ones do at the course that I play on regularly. However, after I added chains to mine, it actually catches better than the ones at the local course, and that's probably not really a good thing. I have become spoiled.

Looking into getting a basket and thinking the marksman by DD would b an awesome basket to force me to concentrate more during practice i have thrown at gateways version of the basket...but they say practice like u will on the course/tourney rounds which makes me want to buy a normal basket...anyone have any opinions on this or used the DD Marksman or Gateway Titan (same basket) would like to get feedback thanks!

If you're going to go the practice how you'd play philosophy, then you won't be doing much putting practice at all, right? How often are you throwing putts repeatedly with no drives/approaches in between during a round, after all? :p I'm just messing with you a bit.

My experience with the Marksman is that anything that it catches will also stick on pretty much any "regular" basket you'll find on a course. Which to me means that any practice on a Marksman is going to translate to any course target without much issue. On the other hand, practicing on a regular basket might not translate as well, particularly if your practice target is a better catching target than the one on the course. You get, as wproct said, spoiled.

Every variation of course-grade disc golf target has its own strengths and weaknesses...too many chains, not enough chains, gaps in the chains, spits slow putts, spits fast putts, spits high putts, spits low putts, allows cut-throughs, kicks out wide putts, pulls in wide putts, etc, etc, etc. So many variations that pretty much all players (myself included) can't really keep track of which ones are which in order to try to account for the differences. Instead we, consciously or not, end up tailoring our putting style (speed, angle, loft, spin, etc) to suit the targets we putt on the most. And occasionally, we run into a target that doesn't favor that style and we get "robbed" a bit more often than usual on those targets. Of course, we usually chalk that up to the basket not being good enough rather than recognizing it's just different. There's a general misconception that hitting chains and making noise should automatically equate to a made putt. It's just not the case.

A Marksman really helps you hone a general technique that is more immune to the variables of the different targets out there. Plus, having the mindset of "if the Marksman wouldn't have caught it, it was a bad putt" can really help the mental side of things when you do get a spit or a cut-through that you want to blame on bad luck or poor targets. Keeps you in the frame of mind that it was a poor putt that you can easily correct rather than the defeatist attitude that it was a good putt that got unlucky or "robbed".

Get a normal and zip tie the chains up if you want more of a challenge.

Yep. Why someone would pay for a smaller basket doesnt make sense to me unless you were going to own multiple baskets.

Pretty easy to mod any practice versions into smaller targets by moving chains.

Yep. Why someone would pay for a smaller basket doesnt make sense to me unless you were going to own multiple baskets.

Pretty easy to mod any practice versions into smaller targets by moving chains.

If you have a regular size basket already, then yeah, modding it might be the cheaper solution.

But if you don't own any baskets, and all you're want to do is practice on it, why do you need the full size target at all? Plenty of those at the local course(s).

Of course there's nothing wrong with owning multiple baskets. Put one on each end of the yard/basement/garage and go back and forth between them. Less walking, more putting.

just gimmicky to me and they are still priced as much (or more) vs normal sized basket.

If these were out on courses it would make sense. Id love to play a course with marksman style baskets but why buy one specifically when you basically get the same thing with any normal practice basket and about 5 minutes of time.

The marksman is lighter and cheaper. Easy to move around the yard. It will not catch sloppy puts period.

The gateway bullseye, often imitated maybe duplicated? I used to have one and really wish I had kept it. You can buy a titan top half if you want to switch between the small and large targets. Not sure if the Marksman has a changeable top, but at $150 I'd guess not? Either way, I've never putted better than when I was practicing on one of these on a regular basis.

No reason to buy a smaller basket. Just fish a piece of string through second, third or fourth chain link, etc. of the outside set of chains all the way around and pull tight.....and now it's a skinny practice basket.

Snip the string and now it feels like you are puttin into a hot air balloon.

The marksman is lighter and cheaper. Easy to move around the yard. It will not catch sloppy puts period.

This, I just bought a Marksman and it will only catch true putts. I could not find any for sale online but was lucky enough to find one at the IDGC and bought it a couple of weeks ago when in the area for a tournament. It seems to be built as sturdy as a Bullseye but I like the cage better than the Bullseye and Black Hole. If you want traditional, go with a Arroyo Vortex or DGA Mach X.