• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

De-stinking discs?

WARNING:dont use acetone on the stamp, just the plastic of the disc. acetone will remove the stamp instantly and that can be bad on collector discs. lol
take acetone on a paper towel or wash cloth and put a good amount on the wash cloth or paper towel then hit every area of the disc and make sure its wet. then let it air out for a few minutes. the acetone gets into the plastic then evaporates almost instantly taking the smell with it. then put them in a burning hot bath with dawn dish soap and use the same wash cloth and rub, scrub, whatever you want to call it for a few good seconds to each disc. thats how i got the nasty ones from the kettering lake smell like soap. they still smell soapy. and it will take cig smoke out also. some nasty ones at hazy that smell like that. it also helps if you have a Jacuzzi bath tub to wash and scrub them in :) . good luck man.

When all else has failed for me I have left discs in the sun on concrete and that has worked...even better than cleaners, fabreeze, etc.

Yea, acetone is a great idea for collectors. Maybe some gasoline? Or easy oven off? Or some sharks with lasers??

i would maybe not do the alcohol consider they are collectors, i dont think it would do harm but it could.

a quick wash in vinegar might do the trick, the baking soda suggestion is one i concur with. baking soda takes the stink out of my nasty water logged hiking shoes. plus baking soda will definitely not harm the disc.

I had this stink disc problem a while back. The stink disc was retrieved from a funky pond and the disc smelled like death. I tried to lay it in the sun for a few days... it didnt work. I tried vinegar/baking soda... it didn't work. Finally I tried extra strength fabreeze and it did the trick. It left the disc smelling like flowers.

A buddy of mine lost a Storm in the pond at Mont Du Lac... for 2 years. He got it back after an excavator pulled it out. He immediately put it back in his bag and has been playing with it since last fall. Last time I asked him the thing still smelled like a nasty batch of algae. Moral of the story it is may take 2 years of sunlight or Isopropanol to make the thing back to normal.

Last edited:
Clean it with body wash. it'll take the funk out and make your flyers smell like Old Spice.

Put it in a bucket filled with 90% water and 10% bleach. Leave it for 10-30 minutes, towel dry. DONEZIES. It will smell nice forever.

I got a few discs like this too, after a week or two in the bag or just sitting in a pile with my other extras the cig smell went away on its own. I would try this before resorting to any chemical treatment, even baking soda.

First: cigarette smoke is night and day different compared to algae. from what I've seen, it's much easier to get rid of. I had a stinky cigarette disc and I never got it smell free. I can tell you what did NOT work.
-soap and water didn't do anything.
-goo gone and rubbing alcohol did nothing.
-febreeze and lysol only masked the odor. I never soaked them in it though, didn't want to ruin a stamp.
-baking soda helped the most, I put it in a ziploc bag full of baking soda for several days. I know it made a difference because the bag & baking soda stunk when I took the disc out. The disc still had some stink in it though.

Never tried the freezer, curious about that one. Also not sure what vinegar would do but maybe it's worth a try. I'd be careful with the sun treatment. I had a nice star archon natural beauty that I left in my practice field for a week and when I came back the color had changed. Like sunburn, but permanent. Risky move for collector discs. Ultimately I couldn't handle the stink so I sold it.

Put it in a bucket filled with 90% water and 10% bleach. Leave it for 10-30 minutes, towel dry. DONEZIES. It will smell nice forever.

This has been my method for unstinking a disc that has spent park of its life in a smelly pool of water.

Cheers - Koffee

I've found while dying my discs via the shaving cream method, after leaving them face down in the cream for 14-16 hours, the discs smell like shaving cream. I don't know if you'd end up with an "ass water-shaving cream" stench, but just some food for thought, haha.

I just bought a stanky batch of ashtrays. They wreak so bad they make my fingers smell. Huge bummer. Tried water/dawn soak for 3 days. No dice. Now they're sitting in a container with bars of soap and a box of incense. We'll see how they smell in Spring

Latest posts