• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deaf Disc Golfers

I actually met a deaf disc golfer once at my practice field. I was practicing my drives and a car pulled up and a guy got out. It took me about 10 seconds to realize he was deaf. We had to communicate by writing on a note pad because my sign language is a little off, but we had a good chat, and he even showed me how to improve my form on my drives.

Hey Deafaliendisc, welcome to the forum! :)

Glad to play with ya at Barre Falls in good weather last weekend!

I should have taken pictures of the tees and baskets while I was there! Next time!

I did course guiding at my home course two weeks ago for a couple of new players one of whom was deaf. As long as I remembered to face him when I spoke he could read lips and seemed to follow what I was saying very well. Just speak normally and don't mumble. We had a good time and I was able to point out where the baskets were for them since they had never played the course before. The other guy knew ASL and could interpret when needed, but it rarely was. Thumbs up is universal for a good shot :)

I have played at two different pdga events recently and learned some rules that I've not realized were conflicts with the pdga players. 1: Don't use your sk or blackberries while playing. 2: Try not to be loud when you make a mistake or a bad throw - even on a good throw.. it can be distracting to the other players on the tournaments.
I didn't realize those until someone told me, in a small way, I had felt offended because I use the blackberry to communicate and I can't always tell how loud I am. Yes, I'm deaf also - so it does become frustrating when the players are talking among themselves and you don't have a single clue of what's being conversed about..
Allow me to vent.. it does happen and I'm not always crazy about it.

As for TD - I appreciate it when you have paper programs out for us - especially if they include any of the OB's and Mano's. It does help when other players know that you're deaf/hard of hearing, it is important to be able to communicate with each other. Using body language and hands (signing) helps a lot, even if you don't know the sign - it does help.

Crystal (Mystjava/Mathjava)
DDGA#202;WDDGA#37;ODDGA#47;PDGA#38171.
Deaf Disc Golfing Pride!

Well I'm convinced now ... I need to learn more sign language. I have a couple of books on learning ASL and a deaf friend that I still see every so often, I need to tap those resources me thinks. I should know more already but my friend, well she's very good at reading lips so she doesn't push me to learn more.

Why don't you take her out to play disc golf.. It might be a fun way to learn and social at the same time! It does help when our ears and eyes fails us at times. :) Go have fun!

Forget books, trust me. Its totally useless.

Watch any videos online (Youtubes) or interact with any deaf signers. You will pick it up a lot faster and enjoyable as well. ;)

Yeah, better not play with blackberry or any pagers/phones while someone is at the tee or putting stance. You can use it while on the move with the group to the next tee.

One time, I was in the group and they all know I was using my SK a lot for recording my own scores and stuff, anyway, the guy was at the tee and started to make the shot and the phone rang which threw him off target badly and he got pissed. Everyone looked at me and I was like "What?" but it turns out it was the thrower's own phone in his pocket that went off!! Whew! :p

Thanks for the advice and that experience is pretty funny. I bet his face was pretty red, especially if he got accusatory.

It's good article about this. I glad it was bring up. Many of hearing people are clueless about us (deaf people). I have similar experience with other deaf player who post in this topic. Local people usually know who we are. Hardcore deaf disc golfer will know how to handle many situation as mention above. Last weekend I went to Pa State Championship to get in qualifier for Am national championship. unfortunately i blew it. Anyway, my girlfriend come with me. She is hearing and know sign which help me a lot. When my group make some disc golf converation that i wasn't aware of it. My girlfriend told me about it. Also when someone tried to talk me about rules or something, she interpeter for me. It was nice but she wont with me all the time. So i bring paper and pen all the time so if someone tried to talk with me. I will hold on and get the paper and pen.
Being deaf, yeah i dont hear any noise which is nice. However, my eye is get sharper. So when I tee off someone move. It does bother me. I usually will stop or too late and make bad throw haha. When someone moves or in my way visually. I would ask them to move nicely. Well in general, i does have many good experence where many people will help me when i can't hear something important. Hope you meet some deaf people, play with them. Most of them will enjoy your company. You might learn somehthing.

"Throw hard, Play hard, Play smart, Have fun"

I was also at PA States! I'm not deaf though, but I remember a deaf group of players at Calvert some months ago that let me play through. I didn't know they were deaf until I actually caught up to them, but they were doing pretty good. I was wondering how the whole "fore!" thing works when you are deaf? Can you feel ground vibrations of people walking behind you?

Sidewinder LOL, Yell Fore toward me, you better pray it's not going to hit me. But some deaf golfer does have hear aid, It might help. Basically if all deaf player are ahead of you and accident throw bad one. PRAY!!! Maybe if they are walking toward you. U could jump and wave in the air. Maybe they will notice you. If you have power to make ground rumble, it's also be helpful. LOL Well can you feel ground vibrations with other people walk with you. If you cant so do we. Sometimes my friends walk after some throw tee. But forget someone who still have turn to throw. I usually throw roller toward them when it pass them. They would look at me. You could do the same but not when throw bad one and throw roller to warn them. haha.

"Throw hard, Play hard, Play smart, Have fun"

I have seen several posts on a couple of Disc Golf sites about deaf disc golfers. It seems that disc golf is very popular with many deaf players.

I am curious to know if the experiences of Deaf disc golfers are much different than the non deaf player.

I once read a post about an issue with the PDGA not adding Closed Captioning to its DVDs.

I can think of a couple disadvantages like getting the information in players meeting and the lack of potential communication with other players. I also assume that the distractions like others talking or coughing while on the tee pad would be less of an issue.

If any deaf player would care to discuss their experiences, I think it could benefit everyone.

I wrote an article and submitted it to the PDGA mag recently...
I'm waiting for it to see if it has been published or 'extensively edited" before I will post it out here for you guys about Deaf+Disc golf

I just recently played on the same card in a PDGA tournament with a deaf player. There were a few things that I observed about the situation.

The TD went out of his way to help him as much as possible. When he had the card, one of us would help him call out the names to get our scores. We used our fingers to dictate our scores to him. When we had the card, we usually tapped him on the shoulder to ask him for his score. There was one time we had some difficulty trying to explain a casual water as not being OB. It was a tight course, so we had to watch out for him, when someone yelled fore. Everyone on the card realized he needed a little help with communication, and we all helped where we could, no one seemed to mind.

It was a great experience, he was a nice guy and was just like you and me. He would get happy when he made a great shot and mad when he had a bad shot. When he made a bad shot, he would let out a loud grunt in frustration, not realizing how loud it was.

Hope this helps.

Deaf+Maryland.. Larry? Steve? Tim? or Dain?

Article that didnt get posted..

took a trip down memory lane and came across this again.. DG magazines never bit on my article so here it is..

Fists of fury, see those hands flying? Chances are it's a Deaf disc golfer and friends invading the nearest tournament to you. Deaf Disc Golf has been booming in the last 10 years. The visibility is definitely a niche worth tapping. Were you ever curious on how would you be able to interact with them? This article is intended to educate you for the next time you encounter a Deaf Disc Golfer. Since I got interested in this game and traveled over 45 states, I know over 400 deaf disc golfers nationwide now. Chances are I know who you played with and can offer a teaser material to make him/her laugh and go "how you know?"

Sure, pen+paper works. Some may be able to lipread. Dont readily assume every Deaf disc golfer lipreads. Lipreading is akin to a foreign language. It takes practice and experience. Some people will never learn how to lipread. Also facial hair, sudden movements and indirectly covering up the lips be it looking away or having something in the direction of your mouth impede lipreading.

Oftentimes I get Tournament Directors who share their concern with me in trying to accomodate Deaf disc golfers. First and foremost, it is up to the Deaf Disc Golfers to be proactive in reaching out to ask for more information. Tournament Directors have been proactive when I contact them for further instructions. It helps in general to post all verbal instructions on a piece of paper, usually the player's handbook or on a posterboard behind tournament central / registration. List of odd local rules, CTP's, and the sort are definitely encouraged for everyone in general. The more visual signs there are, the less questions we ask!

Gestures is universal and if you figure out basic signs for what you do everyday and where your handshapes are when conveying a message, you'll be surprised to see how eerie it is similar to sign language (picture a mime and look at their body expression, movements + hands to see how they gesture) The website www.Aslpro.com is a great starting point. I have used it for my fingerspelling bee contests in the past. Take your time to focus on the basics such as ABC's and who/what/where/how/why. Another one is learning how to count. For ex: Oftentimes the sign for "3" is mistaken for "6" in sign language. Unsure what I'm talking about? Look up the sign for "3" and the sign for "6." Most of the deaf crowd is passive enough to let it slide.

Dont have the time to research signs, fret not. The mention of thumbs up and a smile works.
Directional signs are helpful as well.. "Pointing" in a direction can convey the meaning of many different things such as you, me, there, here.

Try to picture yourself using only the index finger to say "I am going there"

1) Index finger + point at yourself
2) Index finger + point where you going

The hardest thing in my experience is having the people try to simplify the english or break it down to the point where simple words can be transferred into signs instead of trying to convey complex stories, break it down into subject + action+gesture.

Sample:
"Me here, you there. I see disc ka-pow you. Ouch"

1) Index finger + point at yourself
2) Index finger + point at ground beneath you
3) Index finger + point at other person of interest.
4) Repeat #1
5) Index finger + point at eyes and redirect to provide vision. (This became famous with "meet the fockers" + robert deniro w/ the #2 handshape)
6) Make a disc handshape or imagine you as a mime, reflect a disc thrown. Point in the air or imitate its flight with your hand
7) Use index finger point it up like you are signing "1" and have the other hand/disc imitation smack into the other hand that's portraying an index finger
8) Use your body language to scrunch up and demonstrate ouch. My favorite body language for that kind of "ouch" example is Mike Epps in "Friday" now Mike Epps' body language is something else!

Unfortunately, the signs usually becomes dirty signs or insults because they are the easiest "1 word sentences" out there and not many people are motivated to learn new tricks of the trade. On the brighter side.. Most of my requests to learn the signs are "disc golf, grip, rip, and snap."

Disc golf. I use a "C" shape with my thumb and index finger. Make it parallel to the ground so your thumb is near your chest while the index finger is away from your chest. Then I imitate throwing/snapping with that C shape thumb/index finger.

Grip. I take a disc golf out of my bag and index finger point with my other hand to showcase "grip"

Rip. I use motions to "mime" throwing and often point to various parts of the body that I use for rip then mime the action.

Snap. I fingerpoint to my wrist while imitating the snap. I often fingerpoint while in mock exaggerated slow motion to put emphasis on snap.

You could snap your fingers if need. Not all will catch on but hey, who knows til you try!

If you are still at a loss - once again, practice some "mime" techniques. They have universal gestures down pat. I guarantee you that learning gestures will hook you up globally.

I'm not really deaf, but my ears ring all the time like crazy!!!
_jackhammer__by_dbestarchitect.gif
19756-Clipart-Graphic-Of-A-Group-Of-White-And-Yellow-Surround-Sound-Speakers.jpg
fireworks.gif

Latest posts