• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Decent Courses in the CT-NJ-NY Tri-State Area

bcr123psu

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
A group of my friends and I are looking to get together early in 2010 for an outing. There are two people from the Lehigh Valley in PA, two from Warren County in NJ, two from the Saratoga Springs in NY, and one from north of Hartford, CT. We're trying to find a place that's equidistant (as much as possible) to play a round Saturday afternoon, relax with some brews Saturday night, and then play a round Sunday morning. We'd like to hit two courses if possible.

It looks like FDR State Park is somewhere in the middle:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1255

as is Leonard Park:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1473

Any feedback about these courses (and places to stay and/or drink nearby) would be helpful. Or if anyone has feedback about other courses central to the areas mentioned, I'd appreciate it.

I didn't plot the spots on a map, but how far is Warwick? It gets great reviews

I didn't plot the spots on a map, but how far is Warwick? It gets great reviews

I was thinking Warwick, as well. It is an awesome course!! Two tees and two baskets every hole so you could have 4 possible layouts. Plus there is another 18 hole course back in the woods behind it. Short, technical, and fun.

The town of Warwick would have plenty in the way of dining and drinking...accomodations would be worth a search, I know there's stuff around. I live close by so I don't stay over...

I am in agreement that Warwick Brakewell Steele Park is where you want to play.....and if your there don't dare skip Wolfie Woods hidden in the woods adjacent....plenty of variety in that park w 4 different layouts and then the technical FUN challenge in the woods that is wolfie!

Leonard Park

I haven't played the Warwick course, but I can tell you about Leonard Park. I highly recommend it having played there all last summer. The course is entirely in the woods, and is very hilly.

It is quite challenging, mainly, because you are in the middle of the woods. The park is in the middle of Mt. Kisco, which has numerous bars, and pubs for you guys to grab some drinks afterwards.

campgaw mountain is 30 minutes outside NYC...and is a very fun challenge

Go to Warwick you can play 4 different configurations on a top quality course.
Campgaw in Jersey is about 30 minutes away. Skip Wolfe Woods, the other course at Warwick.

Yesterday's bar in Warwick has sponsored tournies in the past and is great for drinking and food.

I haven't played the Warwick course, but I can tell you about Leonard Park. I highly recommend it having played there all last summer. The course is entirely in the woods, and is very hilly.

It is quite challenging, mainly, because you are in the middle of the woods. The park is in the middle of Mt. Kisco, which has numerous bars, and pubs for you guys to grab some drinks afterwards.

And if you can't find a bar to your liking in Mt. Kisco I imagine you can find one in that nearby 'burg named New York City.:D