• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Dedicated Markings for Greens

It would be kind of cool if a rule allowed defined greens of varying shapes and sizes that would act as the circle, an oval green that could possibly allow you to jump putt from 15' or force you to hold your stance at 50'.

That's really a cool idea. If they are well defined, permanent solutions, (like idlewild's one pictured above) that would be easy to police too....this could be cool.

It would be kind of cool if a rule allowed defined greens of varying sha pes and sizes that would act as the circle, an oval green that could possibly allow you to jump putt from 15' or force you to hold your stance at 50'.

This is pretty innovative and cool. Combine this with selective stand and deliver gettin the rough on open courses and you would move people off the " every hole is a 3" mentality we're stuck in now.

That's really a cool idea. If they are well defined, permanent solutions, (like idlewild's one pictured above) that would be easy to police too....this could be cool.

I would be in favor of changing them from tournament to tournament. Paint them a couple weeks in advance, but force slightly different lines each tourney. That would separate out the truly skilled players from those who memorize a route to the hole.

It's a cool idea, but like many things, the devil's in the details.

There would have to be a limit to keep course designers and TDs from doing silly things like (1) making a 2' green, thus eliminating the falling-putt rule, or (2) extending green to 50' to take away jump-putts from that range, or (3) extending green to 200' to really alter the game.

You'd also have to be ready for gripes from players about the non-standardization of the game, especially top players who's style might be adversely affected when playing a particular course.

After all that, I like the idea.

red bricks are easily found and free. Especially near new construction. I have about 2000 at a course in Charlotte, just takes a long time to dig 20 or so per hole. There is never a time where that is the most important maintenance need.

It's a cool idea, but like many things, the devil's in the details.

There would have to be a limit to keep course designers and TDs from doing silly things like (1) making a 2' green, thus eliminating the falling-putt rule, or (2) extending green to 50' to take away jump-putts from that range, or (3) extending green to 200' to really alter the game.

You'd also have to be ready for gripes from players about the non-standardization of the game, especially top players who's style might be adversely affected when playing a particular course.

After all that, I like the idea.

I actually don't think there would need to be a limit for those silly things. The players would just talk with their money if it was too "gimmicky". (i still think mandatory S&D is silly, outside of 50' or so) so limits would be needed on what consitutes the "green") I think that is fun about ball golf. Some holes have huge greens, some have tiny greens. Sometimes it's better to chip from off the green, sometimes it's better to putt. Different rules on each spot.

I think it would lead to more thinking while playing, not just "throw it close". If someone is a fantastic putter, then this rule won't matter. But one of my friends is a great jump putter. He'll try to lay up on the "short side" of the green, so he can still jump putt. and depending on the shape, could be jump putting from closer than an "in the circle" putt (think an oval, or semi hour glass shape)

This has been the first "rule" change brought up here that i could dig. We've needed something to change up Greens, and make them matter. A course designer/TD setting the green could be cool.

I think it would initially be best to do at NT's and big tourneys, but then as new courses are installed, they could be installed with this in mind creating better courses with more difficulty going forward.

Idlewild has some "astroturf" greens... most likely necessitated by erosion, but still a "green" concept.

Yea, That "green" at Idlewild is pretty nice since they put down the turf. Before that it seemed like it was always a muddy mess because the grass didn't grow that well around there.

You could also work with whoever does the mowing at the course and have them mow the green at a different length than the fairways so that its easier to determine what the green is from the tee. Also, you could make greens faster or slower depending on what you're going for. I think the abstract greens would be a great idea. It would be a little harder to have multiple pin locations since all locations would need a green, but it would be a nice aesthetic to add to some of the nicer, upper level courses.

For now though, I think taking an edger around the basket to make the circle would be a great addition to courses. Then they could fill it with some wood chips of varying color, or even just some type of piping (garden hose, hula hoop, etc.) and maintenence it as needed.

You could also work with whoever does the mowing at the course and have them mow the green at a different length than the fairways so that its easier to determine what the green is from the tee.

Or even plant a clearly different type of grass (rye/St. Aug./fescue/bermuda/bluegrass) depending upon the climate.

It would be kind of cool if a rule allowed defined greens of varying shapes and sizes that would act as the circle, an oval green that could possibly allow you to jump putt from 15' or force you to hold your stance at 50'.

That's a really interesting idea. I think it especially has a lot of potential on hilly courses. You could allow a jump putt close to the basket on the downslope if you wanted to make putting easier, or make it longer so it's tough to use a putting motion at all from downhill. I like the concept a lot.

So how could something like this become mainstream? Would it start with TD's enforcing it at non-sanctioned events until their was a appreciation for non-circular greens?

I don't even jump put, so it doesn't make a huge difference to me, but i still really like the idea.