• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Deep dish vs shallow putters

All solid advice; sticking with Judges. For now.

Man I actually took a look at the PDGA discs specs PDF and darned if it wasn't the case that most putters are about 1.5cm deep. This includes the Judge, the Dagger, the Aviar... (I do wonder if the BB vs the classic and PNA are actually the same depth)

The wizard is a massive outlier at 1.8cm deep... pretty nuts actually.

Take those specs with a grain of salt.

You have to feel it in your hands.

Wizards are supposed to be deeper than Challengers, yet Challengers feel really deep to me and the Wizard feels fine.
The Yeti aviar is 1.5, but because of it's puddled top feels slimmer than the KC Aviar which is also listed as 1.5.

In general, I like shallow putters. Started with Classic Judge, went to Hard Spike, a couple different Pures, and am using a Fluid Judge now. I like it better than anything I've used.

You have to feel it in your hands.

Wizards are supposed to be deeper than Challengers, yet Challengers feel really deep to me and the Wizard feels fine.
The Yeti aviar is 1.5, but because of it's puddled top feels slimmer than the KC Aviar which is also listed as 1.5.

^This. There's no substitute for holding the disc in your hand.
FLX Challenger has been my upshot disc for years now. My son uses a Wizard.
Regardless what the specs say, the Chally feels a bit deeper when I hold it.

Actually, going thru the same dam thing with judges and wizards. I believe the outside edge of the wizard and judge are identical. As in the Judge was copy cat slimmed down a bit.

My new ss wizards are a little domey and look perfect but feel a bit deep. My SSS are flat/puddle top and feel just right.

Currently testing my classic judges against my slightly domey SS wizards. The wizards seem to fly better. Consistency is in my head at this point. Their both white but I know what's what when i pick them up.

So....testing is not super accurate when you have preconceived notions.

Putting is the weakest part of my rookie game...

I'm actually so bad with it that I go back to the Nova as soon as it's more then 15', tailwind or a slight anny is needed.

I finally borrowed a basket from my club so now I finally have the chance to really practice.
Other than Nova I putt with he Pure since I liked the shallow rim, although I think that I've hit chains with most of the tries I did to out with my Harp. When you don't need distance it feel easy to just put on a big anny angle and add some spin, aim for the right side of the pole and the flight will be a mini S that fades into the chains?

I found myself in a putting funk about 15 years ago, so I bought a bunch of different putters and got down to business tracking my performance with each with large sample sizes. I thought of myself as a serious player, but then something happened that shouldn't have happened: I was nailing 45-footers with a friggin' Innova Birdie. Consistently. Significantly better than the other ones (which were Aviars, Magnets, APX, and others that were available in the early '00s).

So I became a spin putting guy with friggin' Birdies. It's still the putter I reach for to make any non-windy straight 50' putt or shorter. I just aim straight for the chains, and if my body doesn't fail me, it goes straight to where I aim.

Bonus: they always pretty much fly the same no matter how many baskets they've crashed into because of their bad aerodynamics.

Incidentally, I can't help but wonder whose 8th-grade kid designed the graphics for it. So silly and campy.

Well yeah.. But what else besides touching every disc do we have? It helps to know a baseline. Pretty easy to compare discs after that regardless of dome etc you should get the general shape you're looking for. Anything else is just DGCR nitpicking as any abcxyz putter mentioned here works just fine.

I dont give a **** about finger size etc. It is a damn putter. Learn to put the thing in the basket. Outside of that yeah we can talk a lot of BS.

Well yeah.. But what else besides touching every disc do we have? It helps to know a baseline. Pretty easy to compare discs after that regardless of dome etc you should get the general shape you're looking for.

Very true. Many of us can't fondle everything so we have to take our chances.

One of my pet peeves with most disc golf companies is that hey don't supply an actual profile pic of their discs. I like Innovas ability to rotate the disc, other than that, have to do a bunch of youtube searching hoping someone shows it in their review.