• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Definitions input needed from the experts.

Prerube1

Eagle Member
I am working on a pamphlet to hand out to a group of physical education teachers and need a large pool of vocabulary words with definitions. Here is what I came up with. Feel free to correct, add, or give feedback. I can not copy the PDGA definitions incase I have to publish this.
Also I do not suggest quoting this message, it is very large.

THANKS

Vocabulary
:

10m circle: a marked or imaginary circle 10 meters from the basket in all directions from which players must demonstrate balance behind their marked lie when putting or their putt is determined a falling putt.

2 meter rule: an optional rule that states any disc that lands in a tree more than 10 feet high is ruled out of bounds.

2 minute warning: The two minutes before a tournament where players are no longer permitted to throw discs.

Ace: a slang term for when your first throw from the tee pad lands inside the basket. This is marked as a 1 on the score card.

Anhyzer: a release position where the outside edge of the disc is raised causing the disc to travel towards the direction in which the disc is spinning. (disc will turn to the right for a right handed backhand player)

Approach: a throw after your drive used to position yourself for an optimum putt.

Away: the person who's lie is furthest away from the basket.

Basket: The catching device that the disc must come to rest in to end the hole.

Birdie: a score of 1 under par on a particular hole.

Bogie: a score of 1 over par on a particular hole.

Drive: the first throw from the tee pad.

Driver: a high speed disc used to cover maximum distance.

Fade: the amount that the disc turns to the opposite direction of the spin of the disc during the final low speed portion of the flight. (a right handed backhand thrower will experience a fade to the left)

Fairway: The flight area between the tee and the basket with minimal obstacles.

Fairway Driver: a lower speed driver used to throw a controlled shot over a long range.

Falling Putt: an illegal putt, within 10 meters of the basket, where the person putting crosses their marked lie before demonstrating balance.

Follow Through: The arm motion made after the disc is released.

Glide: The amount of loft a disc maintains while in flight.

Hyzer: a release position where the outside edge of the disc is pointed down causing the disc to travel away from the direction in which the disc is spinning. (disc will turn to the left for a right handed player throwing backhand)

Mando: slang abbreviation for Mandatory, an obstacle or marker that the disc must go around or pass on a particular side.

Marker: a mini disc used to mark where a disc came to rest.

Midrange: a disc designed for a lower power accuracy shot outside of normal putting range. These discs are between putters and fairway drivers in speed rating.

Overstable: a disc that tends to turn in the opposite direction in which the disc is spinning. (a disc that travels to the left for a right handed person throwing a backhand drive.)

Par: the number of throws an experienced player is expected to throw on a particular hole or course.

Penalty stroke: a point added to a players score for violation of a rule.

Practice Throw: any time a disc that is not in play is thrown a distance of over 2 meters resulting in a penalty.

Pull: the portion of a player's backhand drive between the reach back and follow through where the disc crosses in from of the player's chest.

Putt: any throw towards the basket from with in the 10 meter circle.

Putter: a slow speed disc designed for a short accurate throw.

Reach back:

Roller: Throwing the disc in a way where a majority of the distance is covered by the disc rolling on the ground.

Speed: The rating given to a disc that describes the amount of power required for optimal performance of the disc.

Stability: a term used to described the amount of turn a disc demonstrates when thrown.

Tee: the designated area that marks where the first throw is to be made from on each hole.

Turn: a term used to described how the disc flies in relation to the direction in which the disc is spinning.

Turnover:

Understable a disc that tends to turn towards the direction in which the disc is spinning (a disc that turns to the right for a right handed person throwing a backhand drive)

You may wanna check your meters to feet conversion chart again, 2 meters is around 6 feet, not 10

2m is 6'6". and just for thoroughness 10m is 32'10" according to the PDGA

"Fuck... Shit... These are highly technical golf terms." - Kevin Costner, Tin Cup

Prerube said:
2 meter rule: an optional rule that states any disc that lands in a tree more than 10 feet high is ruled out of bounds.
Better to either consistently use meters or at least do accurate conversions.

I'd prefer "arm and body motion" frankly.

"How well the disc maintains its altitude while in flight."

Midrange: a disc designed for a lower power accuracy shot outside of normal putting range. These discs are between putters and fairway drivers in speed rating.

I don't like either of these. Both putters and mid ranges were originally designed to be thrown at full power and for maximum distance. It would be better to advocate using them for longer shots from the start.

Speed: The rating given to a disc that describes the amount of power required for optimal performance of the disc.
That, and it's ability to hold on to that speed, i.e. how slow or fast it loses speed.

Turn: a term used to described how the disc flies in relation to the direction in which the disc is spinning.
From what I've seen, just about everyone uses turn to basically mean opposite of fade. Fade is the disc turning during low speed flight, turn is the disc in the opposite direction during high speed flight.

Turnover:
When a disc turns over from flat.
I'd also like to see high and low speed stability and nose up and nose down explained.

jubuttib said:
Prerube said:
Better to either consistently use meters or at least do accurate conversions.

I'd prefer "arm and body motion" frankly.

"How well the disc maintains its altitude while in flight."

I don't like either of these. Both putters and mid ranges were originally designed to be thrown at full power and for maximum distance. It would be better to advocate using them for longer shots from the start.

That, and it's ability to hold on to that speed, i.e. how slow or fast it loses speed.

From what I've seen, just about everyone uses turn to basically mean opposite of fade. Fade is the disc turning during low speed flight, turn is the disc in the opposite direction during high speed flight.

Turnover:
When a disc turns over from flat.
I'd also like to see high and low speed stability and nose up and nose down explained.

Thanks you, lots of great suggestions.

Sorry guys I can not use prerubed, this is for school disc golf written tests. It would be cool to teach them that phrase, but I will wait until they get hooked on disc golf then tell them to search for it :)

HSS and LSS are explained in an abbreviations section, but I think I will add it here instead of explaining it elsewhere.

You should also include hyzerflip in there. When I say hyzerflip I mean a shot that starts off with some hyzer and turns to flat, but not past. If it turns past flat it becomes a hyzerflip turnover. And actually on that turnover part, what do you guys think? I've used turnover to mean a shot where the disc turns past flat, whether it starts off flat or with some hyzer. Does a flat throw that turns over count as a turnover in your minds?

jubuttib said:
You should also include hyzerflip in there. When I say hyzerflip I mean a shot that starts off with some hyzer and turns to flat, but not past. If it turns past flat it becomes a hyzerflip turnover. And actually on that turnover part, what do you guys think? I've used it turnover to mean a shot where the disc turns past flat, whether it starts off flat or with some hyzer. Does a flat throw that turns over count as a turnover in your minds?

That is one reason I left turnover blank. I would think it has to have a touch of hyzer to be considered a turn over, but I am unsure.

Adding golf club approximations for the disc speed classes might be nice. Most people have a rough idea of what a 5 iron or a 3 wood is even if they don't play golf.

martinb said:
types of throws:
side arm
forehand
backhand
tomahawk/tommy
thumber

Thanks. Those are getting their own section. Kids will see a picture of each and have to identify the throw being used.

garublador said:
Adding golf club approximations for the disc speed classes might be nice. Most people have a rough idea of what a 5 iron or a 3 wood is even if they don't play golf.

There is a description of what a Putter, midrange, fairway driver, and driver are, but this is for kids 8-18 so the distances will vary. I think I get what you are saying, but personally my students will not understand the golf references, but it would be good to relate it to the larger more popular counterpart.

Remember, disc golf putter != golf putter. Disc golf putter is better defined as covering the range of wedges and short irons.

Unfortunately not all (any?) terms have been standardized so that they are the same all over except maybe the most basics stuff like distance.

veganray said:
You already have:
prerube said:
My top 2 throws are an official 370 feet and a freak throw of just under 400 feet.
My 400 was at hawk hallow. The 370 was on a football field from the shot put circle to the long jump pit. We measured it with a wheel. 370 max d is not really that great, I am the weakest of everyone I play against, even Austin out drives me by over 100 feet.