• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Designing Tee Signs - How Lucky Am I?

TheBeardedFatGuy

Birdie Member
Last summer, when I read in the paper that the nearby city of Pasco (Washington) was building a new disc golf course, I decided to look up the Parks & Recreation director cited in the article and found his email address online. I let him know I was excited about the new course, and I offered to help design the tee signs for the course. (The only somewhat related experience I had previously was drawing maps for the NYT bestselling novels of an author friend.) I arranged to meet with the director and he decided to give me a shot. To show what I could do, I mocked up a sign using a Google Maps satellite view. He and the president of a local disc golf club, who was also involved in the new course, liked what I'd done enough to give me the go ahead. They provided me with two massive satellite images of the area, one with the tee pad and basket locations and distances marked, and a clean one without markings. It took me a couple weeks working on the signs in my spare time and some back and forth to complete the signs for all 18 holes. (I use an old version of JASC's Paint Shop Pro, a good basic drawing program.)

Here's the really amazing part. Nobody I was working with on the project offered any thoughts on OB areas or names for the holes, so I came up with them on my own. I let them know I would change any of them they didn't like, but they never offered any objections to the names or the OB areas (which are all based on paths crisscrossing the area). I did this for two reasons. First, the course shares space with crisscrossing cross country paths. Making the paths themselves OB was sort of obvious as golfers need to try to avoid hitting people on the paths. It also allowed me to add some challenge to the holes to make up for the almost total lack of trees. (It's not as dull a course as that makes it sound as there are several interesting elevation changes involved.) They also didn't have any logo for the course, so I drew a very simple one until they gave me something better, but they never did.

So, as amazing as it sounds, I was allowed to name all the holes and specify the OB areas, and I don't know if the latter was allowed because I'd done a good job selecting them, or they just didn't have any interest in giving their input. In any case, the signs were printed as decals and applied to metal parking signs by the city shops and are up on the course.

If any of you reading this is interested, I'd really appreciate any input on the tee signs (which can be seen here: https://www.dgcoursereview.com/media.php?id=9367&mode=media#). There's another course near here with aging signs and I'm considering offering my services there, so any feedback that could help me do a better job next time would be greatly appreciated.

I really do feel fortunate that I was given the opportunity to do the tee signs on the new course, and I'm humbled that the hole names and OB areas I came up with are what were ultimately use. Just goes to show what can happen if you just step up and offer sometimes.

Simple, yet effective. Most importantly, they clearly communicate all the relevant info, including what's OB.
I like the names and think naming holes helps create some character for a course. The names appear to make sense given the OB and elevation you mention... the only one that made me scratch my head a bit was "Double D's" or #12, but maybe I'm missing something.

Simple, yet effective. Most importantly, they clearly communicate all the relevant info, including what's OB.
I like the names and think naming holes helps create some character for a course. The names appear to make sense given the OB and elevation you mention... the only one that made me scratch my head a bit was "Double D's" or #12, but maybe I'm missing something.

That hole's name is intentionally enigmatic - it references the first initial of two people involved in bringing the course to fruition, though I've never told them that's what the Ds stood for. Thanks for the feedback.

I am designing some signage on the side as well.

The signs referenced are visually appealing. it has all the information that I like to see.
I personally could do away with the flag on top, it makes it look like ball golf.
Make sure you get approval to use the background image or at least source it.

In open courses i think elevation charts are helpful too.
bandai-golf-challenge-pebble-beach-usa.png

^ I think I get it, but looks a bit confusing to me.

On courses where there's significant elevation, I'm a fan of tee signs that show the net change in elevation from tee to pin. I'm sure that's quite a chore for multiple pins, but just display it next to the distance for that pin:

#7, Long Tee
A: 430, +12ft
B: 475, + 8 ft
C: 550, - 3 ft.

... and of course, have holes and a bolt (or some other method) to indicate current pin placement.

Not the first thought that came to my mind, but fair enough.

I'll bet. The name of hole 18 will probably get a snicker or two as well. Another nearby course has holes with bird names. It's quite shocking the first time you approach the tee sign of the hole named FLICKER and the L and the I look like they combine to make another letter. Juvenile? Sure, but still funny. No idea if it was intentional or not.

I am designing some signage on the side as well.

The signs referenced are visually appealing. it has all the information that I like to see.
I personally could do away with the flag on top, it makes it look like ball golf.
Make sure you get approval to use the background image or at least source it.

No worries. I originally thought I'd be using Google Maps satellite images so I looked up their usage rules. In the end we had images purchased elsewhere so no issues with not citing the source.

^ I think I get it, but looks a bit confusing to me.

On courses where there's significant elevation, I'm a fan of tee signs that show the net change in elevation from tee to pin. I'm sure that's quite a chore for multiple pins, but just display it next to the distance for that pin:

... and of course, have holes and a bolt (or some other method) to indicate current pin placement.

How would one get elevation changes short of hiring a surveyor? GPS is inaccurate enough horizontally, it must be really inaccurate about relatively small elevation changes.

By the way, the QR codes on each hole's sign takes you to info about that hole. Originally they were going to have video of a drone flight from tee to pin. Instead they have a Google Earth video, which is a poor replacement. The images of the signs they have on the Course Web page aren't the final version either.

How would one get elevation changes short of hiring a surveyor? GPS is inaccurate enough horizontally, it must be really inaccurate about relatively small elevation changes.

By the way, the QR codes on each hole's sign takes you to info about that hole. Originally they were going to have video of a drone flight from tee to pin. Instead they have a Google Earth video, which is a poor replacement. The images of the signs they have on the Course Web page aren't the final version either.

Google Earth has an elevation tool. I have no clue if it's accurate.

How would one get elevation changes short of hiring a surveyor?
Honestly don't know.
I think they actually did get a surveyor for Indy Lake's original Red Hawk course. The Gulch at Merrill Park West has elevation change as well, but don't know if they hired a surveyor.

Advanced google maps and some other sites with detailed topography lines. Not that hard but doubt its super accurate/ useful on a hole by hole situation.

Last edited:
I'd say you did well. Next time consider making the color of the basket contrast more with the background image, but overall it's the kind of tee sign I like.