• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destroy my form and help make it better!

Simpleute

This is not the best video and my first. I am hoping I can get my wife to video me actually throwing a disc...

I haven't been able to figure out how to increase my throwing distance. At the moment I can throw my midrange discs almost as far as my drivers. My best drives are around 260'-280' and they don't come often. My average drive is probably 230'-250' and doing a x step run up doesn't do much to increase my distance.

https://youtu.be/Yhhyk2bDMKk

You are all over the place and not connecting the arm/disc with the body. You are not turning your shoulder nearly far enough back when your weight actually shifts forward and you are late getting off your rear foot. Get a sledgehammer or something heavy and swing it back and forth smoothly like a pendulum to be able to perpetuate the motion forever with little energy, keep your body centered and use it to swing the arm/heavy thing and get your rear arm into your body.

Thank you! I knew I was all messed up, just had no idea where to begin or how to fix...everything. I'm glad you were able to get all that from my bad video.

Thank you! I knew I was all messed up, just had no idea where to begin or how to fix...everything. I'm glad you were able to get all that from my bad video.

You'd be surprised how much SW22 can find with just a picture. I'm glad he's around this froum

Thank you! That makes a lot of sense. I have a hard time keeping my lead shoulder at 90 degrees or greater. It seems to always collapse. I will try turning into the backswing. Didn't realize how much I round/hug myself until I watched this.

The arm collapsing is also because you are trying to power the throw from your rear leg. You are pushing your torso into rotation from your back foot, which turns your torso ahead but your arm stays back and gets pinned to your chest. You can see how your spine and everything is aligned to the rear leg and your back toes are on the ground way later/longer than pro's, because you are continually pushing off of this foot.

You should be moving from the rear foot to the front foot, as if you were walking sideways almost, landing on the front leg, THEN throwing. This will pull your arm from the front shoulder and it won't collapse the same way.

The one leg drill setup is challenging at first, but this is a good way to feel the completely different balance to aim for.

Thank you as well! I wasn't sure where or how to address the timing of my lower body to my upper body. I have never been very good at throwing, so I have always used just my upper body/arm. Getting the lower body to initiate the throw is very challenging for me. I understand the concept and see it in videos, but to mirror that has been more difficult than I was hoping.

Getting the lower body to initiate the throw is very challenging for me. I understand the concept and see it in videos, but to mirror that has been more difficult than I was hoping.

It's a huge conceptual change, then feel change. If you're willing to go down the path to changing this, then I would recommend trying the one leg setup...even without throwing you can set up on one leg and try to swing something heavy like a hammer or wrench back and forth just to feel if you're in balance. Film this and post it. It will likely take a few times filming and getting feedback to even get set up correctly.

Throwing from one leg with the wrong setup is not productive and also quite frustrating. I think it's better to get some advice and direction before getting frustrated.

The arm collapsing is also because you are trying to power the throw from your rear leg. You are pushing your torso into rotation from your back foot, which turns your torso ahead but your arm stays back and gets pinned to your chest. You can see how your spine and everything is aligned to the rear leg and your back toes are on the ground way later/longer than pro's, because you are continually pushing off of this foot.

You should be moving from the rear foot to the front foot, as if you were walking sideways almost, landing on the front leg, THEN throwing. This will pull your arm from the front shoulder and it won't collapse the same way.

The one leg drill setup is challenging at first, but this is a good way to feel the completely different balance to aim for.

I belive that rear leg push is a symptom of not turning properly.

I belive that rear leg push is a symptom of not turning properly.

Or he's not turning properly because he wants to power the throw from the rear leg... Both things go hand in hand I think, but the underlying reason may differ depending on how the player visualizes power generation.

Or he's not turning properly because he wants to power the throw from the rear leg... Both things go hand in hand I think, but the underlying reason may differ depending on how the player visualizes power generation.

My uneducated guess is that when you load just your arm, your brain goes "yep, punch" and gives power from the rear leg.