• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] DESTROYER destroyers unite!!

Sorry for being lazy and not reading.

I presume the couple Gstars I purchased will be a good bit less overstable than a "normal Destroyer" correct? I bag Xcals and Terns, figured it would be a good centerpiece.

Never fully clicked with a Destroyer in the past but it has been some time...

Did you get in on the 5 dollar flash sale? I couldn't get anyone to split with me for the free shipping and I certainly don't need 15 new discs right now, but I'm also thinking maybe I do for 5 bucks a pop. Yes on them being straighter. The weight will matter between 165 and 175g in terms of stability especially with gstar. My 175g Gstar has gotten some good use in my winter bag the last few years and is still pretty stable though, moderately beat in its still a 12/5/-2/2. Was probably 12/5/-1/2 when new.

Yessir, needed free shipping and had limited options for such a good sale, said screw it.

I have plenty of friends that throw them so I figure if I hate them for whatever reason they'll still be put to good use. Also figured they could be a good "I might lose this" disc for my favorite beat Xcal, as well as an "overstable" bookend for my Terns.

I never bought a Destroyer, but I found two, and neither one was inked. The first was a heavy weight Star, total meathook, and I traded it away for a putter and $5. I think the second is about 135g DX, and it is super under stable - every throw goes right and keeps going right, until maybe just a touch of fade at the very finish. So far, have not felt the need to buy a Destroyer - not sure why, because I own a ton of light weight Innova F2 distance discs.

Sorry for being lazy and not reading.

I presume the couple Gstars I purchased will be a good bit less overstable than a "normal Destroyer" correct? I bag Xcals and Terns, figured it would be a good centerpiece.

Never fully clicked with a Destroyer in the past but it has been some time...
I've never been as big of a Destroyer fan as many people but I've probably had about 10 stars (including Halo) and 4 GStars. GStar is considerably more understable, indeed.

I'd say a fresh, max weight GStar is similar to very beat in average Star and it beats in a bit faster than Star.

Only thrown a couple of XCals and maybe one or two throws with a Tern, but I'd compare them to a Star Shryke, faster beaten in Star Wraith or maybe a considerably faster beefy Beast.

Yessir, needed free shipping and had limited options for such a good sale, said screw it.

I have plenty of friends that throw them so I figure if I hate them for whatever reason they'll still be put to good use. Also figured they could be a good "I might lose this" disc for my favorite beat Xcal, as well as an "overstable" bookend for my Terns.

Not sure your location but I'm up in Michigan and it is cold AF here in the winter. Gstar plastics were an absolute game changer for me playing during this time. Especially once you get one beat in a little. I have a winter bag and almost all my drivers from fairway and up are Gstars. I keep a handful around in the trunk all year because if it's raining they really excel at that too.

I was at a disc store recently and did like the feel of the new ESP flex that Discraft is making for similar purposes. They feel a touch more stiffer in general, I suspect they will probably fly a tad bit more stable because of this in comparison to Gstar discs comparing similar flight numbers. Didn't pull the trigger on any but it's good to know there are options in case I can't find the Gstar I'm looking for.

I never bought a Destroyer, but I found two, and neither one was inked. The first was a heavy weight Star, total meathook, and I traded it away for a putter and $5. I think the second is about 135g DX, and it is super under stable - every throw goes right and keeps going right, until maybe just a touch of fade at the very finish. So far, have not felt the need to buy a Destroyer - not sure why, because I own a ton of light weight Innova F2 distance discs.

You might try something in the mid to high 160s as far as Destroyers go. Lightweight DXs are junk, and heavy stars are (as you mentioned) pretty overstable.

I've never been as big of a Destroyer fan as many people but I've probably had about 10 stars (including Halo) and 4 GStars. GStar is considerably more understable, indeed.

I'd say a fresh, max weight GStar is similar to very beat in average Star and it beats in a bit faster than Star.

Only thrown a couple of XCals and maybe one or two throws with a Tern, but I'd compare them to a Star Shryke, faster beaten in Star Wraith or maybe a considerably faster beefy Beast.

G* Destroyers are good if you really do want that "flippy Destroyer" flight right away, without beating a disc in. G* Destroyers can be finicky in wind, and will flip at times. They're long and have great glide. I'd say at least 20' longer regularly than star Destroyers.

After a while they beat in even more and become like Shrykes.

XCals are like a really beefy Destroyer that flies slower and has less glide. They're great discs to bag, as long as you aren't expecting big S curve bombs out of them.

Latest posts