• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Destroyers star, champ,pro, dx

I personally like the Star Destroyer, it's moderately overstable for me when the flashing is removed. I can throw it flat sidearm for a real nice s-curve.

I would suggest a Star or a Champ Destroyer...

Why?

Because the SDGC has a stack of both and I am willing to sell them here...

I really can't be a resource as to why... cuz I can't throw the damn things... and I hate all of you who can...

So much anger in my world this Sunday... need some football so I can "relax"...

None of the above, they aren't stable enough to be a good moderately overstable drivers and they aren't as predictable and controllable as a Champion Wraith. In my experience throwing them and seeing other good players throw them I've noticed they have a much greater tendency to turn over too much or hyzer off early than pretty much any other disc. If you really must have one I'd get a Pro, it seems to be consistent when in good shape but the problem is a few trees smacks would likely change that. I would get a wraith if you are looking for a good distance driver, it's easily among the longest discs and is very predictable. If you need a moderately overstable driver I would get a T-Rex or Champ Starfire, both are great.

SDGC has a stack of Star and Champ Tee-Rex X's too...

I just look at those discs and they start hooking left just sitting on the table...

When I was inventorying the Champ XCaliburs it felt like I was putting my hands on a steering wheel the rims on these discs are so big...

I wish I was twenty years younger so I could actually throw these things...

There are some younger guys in our club who can throw 450' plus and I have even seen a few guys launch a disc on a golf line over 500'... It is amazing how fast these large rim drivers get down the fairway when some body has the "rip" to do it...

Anyway... I digress.

I've been throwing a DX that I like. I also really liked the Pros I've thrown.

I throw Star D's for distance. If your willing to learn the intricacies of a max D driver I'd try out a DX Destroyer, I had one in max weight and it was the longest disc I've ever thrown.

In comparison there is this 454' (i think) hole at a course I used to play, my 169 star D, which is more consistent in flight I would typically come up short with a 50' or closer putt for 2. When I would throw the DX D after it got slightly seasoned I managed to hit that basket, and other times blow past it nearly 50 feet with a skip just near the basket. I've never gotten that kind of distance from Star plastic, I think the DX just has a lot more glide in general.

pro, more consistent dome, more overstable to start, probably the longest.

(maybe dx is longer, but it is so inconsistent from destroyer to destroyer there is no way I would go there)

I find pretty good consistency with 175g pros. I havent had a bad one yet over about 5

With faster discs with wider rims there is so much inconsistency in lower weights and in dx plastic.

I would much rather throw something slower in max weight than faster in light weight.

First run star destroyers were very consistent and great fliers. The newer runs are lousy. They have no dome and are made of really rubbery plastic. Much flippier too.

The DX destroyer is an impressive disc too, but it will wear out on you quickly and start flipping.

I have 2 169 gram DX Destroyers and a 169 Star.

My DXs are consistently longer than my Star but my Star will out-bomb the DXs when I really nail my form.

I prefer the DX but the durability is horrendous. The "One Hit Wonder" name comes to mind.

I am an avid Destroyerist. I recommend a combination of Pro and DX in heavier weights (172+).

If the Pro Destroyer is too stable at first, do not give up on it. Use it for hard fades and headwinds until it breaks in. Once it does, you can really mold some amazing lines with substantial distance. Even when it is broken in, however, it is about 30 - 40 feet shorter than an optimally worn DX.

I try to buy DX Destroyers that have the same big dome as the Pro Destroyers. These are more consistent and longer than the flatter ones. Once they are a little worn in, they fly a perfect hyzer-flip-turnover distance line.

As a bonus, these are the two best price points for this mold. I play in a weekly that has a big water shot, so it's nice to have some cheap bombers.

I've been throwing Star, Pro, and DX Destroyers as a max open distance driver since last March. My drives max out at about 350 feet and I like distance drivers in the 165/169 weight range. I like the DX the best because it's longer and cheaper. If I lose one it's no big deal. I carry three in various states of wear. I've been surprised at how long it takes for them to get beat compared to the wraith's, orcs, and MOLS I was throwing. They do vary in consistency but for me they all start out too stable for max distance so the length of time for them to beat in to the "sweet spot" is all that really varies. I find with Destroyer's that they work best on throws that don't have much elevation change. They are very nose angle sensitive and they like lots of spin.

Of all the destroyers the pro's I find to be the best. I throw them at under 170 gram. They start out super overstable and break in nice. I do only use them when there is absolutly nothing in the way. I throw tsunamis and leopards for control shots.