• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Developing a callous on the tip of my thumb...

Lewis

* Ace Member *
I'm developing a callous on the tip of my thumb. I'm fairly sure it's from the disc golf, but I have been playing for around 3 years without this callous, and only in the past couple of months this has developed. Is this a bad thing? Does it mean I'm doing something wrong, right, or indifferent?

I have a callous on the lower joint of my middle finger from my grip (i think).. not sure if it means something is wrong or if its just the way i grip.

Maybe a change in your grip strength. Have you been messing with that lately in an effort to throw farther? As long as it doesn't get in the way of actually gripping the disc you should be ok.

perhaps some athletic tape? I am not sure if anyone has tried that or not.

I have been using athletic tape on the base of my index finger for months now. Really helps keep blisters from forming. I don't use it if I'm playing a short 9-hole, but anything more and I will tape up.

It's not a blister, and I've never had any problems with broken skin of any kind. With Wolito's advice, I guess I won't worry about it. It's possible I've just been playing a whole lot recently.

It's not a blister, and I've never had any problems with broken skin of any kind. With Wolito's advice, I guess I won't worry about it. It's possible I've just been playing a whole lot recently.

Or you could just play less and it will go away. Yeah right, play less?! Never!

thought i was getting a callous on my index finger... turned out to be a wart. :sick:

I started getting a callous on the tip of my index finger soon after I started playing disc golf. Lately, it has migrated to the side a little, as I've been throwing more putters, or maybe I just changed my grip a little. This past summer, I had a couple more along my index finger, but those have diminished as I'm not throwing as much DX plastic, it seems. There's something about the way an Eagle fits in my hand that causes a callous at the base of my index finger, but it seems to only develop when I'm throwing a lot of base plastic. Lately, I've been using Star Eagles more than DX, and the callous isn't as bad as it used to be. Or it may be that I'm throwing putters and mids more, I'm not sure.

i've been playing DG for almost 10 years now and i've just in the last year started busting blood vessels in my index finger and thumb. not sure why/how it happened, but i must have started doing something slightly different. probably as someone already said, just gripping to hard. i tried changing my grip of late but it won't go away...i just got use to playing with it as is.