• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DFP Grip Turned Into OAT

Majicmarkr

Last week during some field practice (drives) I changed my grip so that my thumb was pointing to the center of the disc on top of the flight plate. I really pushed down with my thumb as well. I had a big increase in distance and spin on the disc. And speed 13 discs appeared to by flying right on the numbers. I thought I was really into something. This was all RHBH. Yesterday I played a round and continued this grip on my drives. And slowly throughout the round my overstable discs started to dive right and cut roll. I took some field throws after the round and could not seem to stop this from happening.
Looking for advice on what may have caused this and what I can do. Prior to last week my thumb was on the seam of the flight plate and rim with a very loose grip until just prior to the snap.
Thanks.

Throw on more hyzer. I'm guessing since you only mention this with overstable discs you are throwing those with anhyzer angle and may have more power now than before which will turn them into the ground. Another possibility is that your discs are getting beat in quickly and losing stability, or you may have found out what speed stability means.

Are you throwing with forehand or backhand? Wobble or no wobble? Flat or Hyzer/Anhyzer release? More or less distance than before?

Have a stack of discs, and start throwing with your old grip that has the thumb where the flight plate/rim meet. If the disc flies fine, then next disc move your thumb over slightly. Keep repeating and see if or when it goes to crap.

My guess though is you are doing something different with your elbow. When this has happened to me it was because I was getting my elbow down/hand up, so the disc gets drastically above my elbow around my right pec area. Then when you snap the disc through the hit zone, the outer wing is above your hand still so it comes out with some forced anny angle, even though you are thinking it's flat because of your intended swing plane. I have no idea what it has to do with the DFP grip but I've had it happen to me too while adjusting. Must just be that I was focusing on the new feel/grip, and let other parts of my form get worse. I've also had it go the other way where everything comes out moderate hyzer. Stuff just happens when you focus on something new, and you miss out on key parts of your form that weren't 100% muscle memory.

So I'd go back to the old grip, make sure you are throwing with a clean arm/hand plane, then adjust the grip back to a deeper grip.

Thanks all for the recommendations. I think your spot on. I went to the field over lunch and threw clean hyzers with my most understable discs with my old grip. I think I was doing just what you said Slowplatic. I was dropping my elbow and rolling my wrist over in an effort to throw flat. Now can I change back before the bad habit sets in? I think I can! Thanks again!

I tried this grip a bit today on the course. I put the thumb far more toward the center of the disc than I had it before. Felt strange. I did grip lock a couple early shots, but once I got a feel for it I was cranking out some LOOOONNGG straight drives. You really can notice the extra spin generated. How it works exactly, I don't know. But it does.

Even stable-somewhat overstable discs were holding laser lines with a lot of glide. I will definitely continue to explore that grip and see if I can get any long term consistency out of it.

I believe I know why changing to this grip increases distance for many that try it. I can bend my wrist toward my forearm more when my thumb is closer to the rim of the disc. When I point my thumb more toward the center of the flight plate the tendon going from my forearm to my thumb is already stretched. So during the snap of a throw there is added wrist bounce or tendon stretch and rebound (whatever you want to call it).