• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG, Pros, and Spectators

EduCatOR

Par Member
So I just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on this. My buddy took some video of the masters doing their thing @ the 2010 Pro Worlds tourny, and basically one of the pros got pretty pissed off due to the spectators. (He got pissed at the official camera group)

What's your opinion on this? I kind of expect pros to be able to go up and sink a putt whether there are people around or not. There was no real designated area for people with cameras or random spectators in general. I would be pretty pissed if I paid money to go see these guys and then one of them ended up yelling at me because he couldn't hit a put without choking. If DG went full mainstream would there not be many times more people watching the event, moving around, etc.

I realize people aren't supposed to try to mess them up, but every time I go to a Bulls game they are shooting free throws with a clear backboard and people waving foam fingers at them. (and screaming)

There will always be multiple angles that the guys are shooting on, so it's hard to constantly have to find a new place to stand because you are "in the way."

Maybe I'm thinking way to far into this.

I like it a lot. I like to play it up for the camera and I usually do well when i'm being filmed. I did get a little pissed at the Disc Golf Monthly camera guy who made me wait so that he could get into position to film me. I had some smart remark about did he want me to hyzer putt or anhyzer putt my shot. He said he didn't care so I made the 40footer uphill. The shot was on the video on Comcast.

I guess the downside to it is that it can break your focus or concentration to have to deal with another person in the group. Some people like it, others just can't handle the pressure.

Pros need to suck it up and deal with the spectators.......pros can be punched in the face just like ams......thats right I said it.....(though I do hear most pros are fairly cool and not deserving of a knuckle samich)

I have to say, most of the people were extremely nice, didn't care about being on camera, etc. Some of the masters were FUUUUNNNNYYY guys, we had a couple good laughs.

I guess it was just that one incident that got me thinking about it.

They need to mark areas of spectating and limit them to those places. Right now you can walk along/besides the players which I assume is annoying.

One thing that distinguishes disc golf from ball golf is that things are a lot more compact, so things like spectators in the line of sight are going to be a far more considerable distraction. We also have to consider that even for our top pros, galleries are more the exception than the norm so they're not as used to these things as you would think.

Realistically, unless there's some nice out of the way high point you can watch with the fairway perpendicular to you (and often that point might be in the way of another hole), the only safe place for a spectator to stand is behind the currently shooting player. I'll admit the viewing angle isn't the greatest from there.

Pro sports=spectators. If you can't handle the cameras and people just don't play tournaments. Some people will blame anything they can to make excuses for missed shots, be it the cameras, people, the frogs croaking, wind blowing, the sun in their eyes. Sounds like a cop out to me.

Biz
Team Bert

I was there watching and at one point on saturday there was literally a family standing almost in the middle of the fairway on #18 Blue...if it wasn't a tight hole already they made it tighter, not to mention they were in danger of getting hit with the disc. Spectators need to be concious of the game but that doesnt give a player to flame a camera man for a missed putt, he is just doing his job

I worked in TV and while watching so many pros golf, basketball, soccer, and football they all love being on TV. If I was a pro dger I would love being on TV especially if it will promote the sport. Guys need to realize disc golf needs the promotion and this Guy just made it harder for us to.

That's really the same thing I was thinking, though I don't think there's room for babies in professional sports.

umm, have you watched professional sports lately? Biggest babies ever, take for example, basketball.... :thmbdown:

I just looked at the video again, and the guy actually said, "Are you going to stand still, sir?" - So I guess he was nicer about it then I previously thought. I just figured most of these peoples games were so on point that I could do cartwheels while on crutches and still not mess up their putts.

The women were all super nice, handled it like champs.

I have always thrived on it. It fuels me to have a gallery. Others have basically thrown fits when something as simple as a family walks onto the course looking for a relative who is in the tournament. I have witnessed such a thing. He's in the HOF now.

I have always thrived on it. It fuels me to have a gallery. Others have basically thrown fits when something as simple as a family walks onto the course looking for a relative who is in the tournament. I have witnessed such a thing. He's in the HOF now.

This is basically what I saw. I had at least 10 people come up to me and ask me where they should go to see whomever they came to see. (Mind you I'm wearing a bulls warmup)

Best thing I think they could have done was give people a map after they paid their $4 to get in.

I hate when pictures are taken of me during rounds. It's embarrassing. I always have to tell mom to stop it.

Latest posts