• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG, Pros, and Spectators

Did she delete those pictures I asked her to delete? I don't want them getting around.

This is the only one left. Don't worry it's safe with me and my 10,000 closets friends on the internet.

weird-guy.jpg

Pro sports=spectators. If you can't handle the cameras and people just don't play tournaments. Some people will blame anything they can to make excuses for missed shots, be it the cameras, people, the frogs croaking, wind blowing, the sun in their eyes. Sounds like a cop out to me.
Until you've been in their position, are you in any position to judge?

And Pro sports=spectators? With respect to probably 98% of disc golf tournaments....hardly.

Well I got that one saved on DGR not here. Look for the post "Wheres the rest of it?"

I think most of us grew up in sports where rowdy crowds were the norm. This isn't like tennis, no one is out there hitting a tiny ball traveling at 100 MPH. I think in DG you just have to practice your concentration skills, especially putting, should be like a free-throw and we know how noisy it can be then. There are many courses where you will have other fairways or tee-boxes in your line of sight. If you're playing a tourney, you have to focus that much more as 90 other players move throughout. I don't give a whole lot of credence to DG'ers complaining about or blaming misses on distractions.

The women were all super nice, handled it like champs.

We have noticed that too. They are also a much lighter bunch...still competitive as all get out, but not in the same way as the guys.

That and they are very happy to have spectators because they usually do not so it makes them feel special.

I have met a few grouchy masters players before too.

Just say "Chill out gramps" next time. :p

I actually surprised to hear it from the masters. In my expierence the masters are the joke tellin, smack talkers. Though at am nats the lead cards seemed well composed, I'd think it would be the younger players having a harder time with cameras then the older guys. Maybe they were mad to be missin matlock.

Until you've been in their position, are you in any position to judge?

And Pro sports=spectators? With respect to probably 98% of disc golf tournaments....hardly.

Easy. All I was saying was that these guys are professional, that's all. Most of the people play disc golf are not professional. The guys that are playing professionally should be able to handle all that goes with a professional sport, that's all. Excuses and poor behavior towards the people who are looking up to these professionals should be talked about. Every professional sport has cameras and people and idiots that don't understand that standing in the way of a shot is going to be distracting. The sport is only going to get bigger and bigger, and with that comes more and more spectators at a professional tournament, especially the worlds. If the crowds are to big, rope off where it needs be. I'm not dogging anyone, its just if you're going to play at the professional level deal with all that goes with it. I really respect the guys at the top, and its only going to help the sport with the more exposure they get. That's all my friend. Sorry if I offended you.

Biz
Team Bert

I actually surprised to hear it from the masters. In my expierence the masters are the joke tellin, smack talkers. Though at am nats the lead cards seemed well composed, I'd think it would be the younger players having a harder time with cameras then the older guys. Maybe they were mad to be missin matlock.

Just ask a master. That'd be me. Yup, we even have our very own bad attitude players. There are a few in every division at every event. I'd love to think that it was the better players with the higher expectations but you can even find them in the lower groups.

Scarp, yes, without being in thier position I do have the right to judge- though I'll reserve my judgement until seeing it for myself.
That's actually the most(maybe only) illogical post I've seen you make. Do we also have to be criminals to judge those accused of crimes? I'm sure we have all had to face distractions and I hope we all battle them without rudeness.

Easy. All I was saying was that these guys are professional, that's all. Most of the people play disc golf are not professional. The guys that are playing professionally should be able to handle all that goes with a professional sport, that's all. Excuses and poor behavior towards the people who are looking up to these professionals should be talked about. Every professional sport has cameras and people and idiots that don't understand that standing in the way of a shot is going to be distracting. The sport is only going to get bigger and bigger, and with that comes more and more spectators at a professional tournament, especially the worlds. If the crowds are to big, rope off where it needs be. I'm not dogging anyone, its just if you're going to play at the professional level deal with all that goes with it. I really respect the guys at the top, and its only going to help the sport with the more exposure they get. That's all my friend. Sorry if I offended you.

Biz
Team Bert

Very few are actually professionals in any real sense of the word.

They're play in the highest level of our recreational sport. They receive cash prizes. But it's not their job. Even the few who are playing full-time, aren't receiving the kind of money you're talking about with these other, truly professional sports.

Not to excuse poor behaviour. They all---we all---should put the best face on disc golf with our good conduct.

Scarp, yes, without being in thier position I do have the right to judge- though I'll reserve my judgement until seeing it for myself.
That's actually the most(maybe only) illogical post I've seen you make. Do we also have to be criminals to judge those accused of crimes? I'm sure we have all had to face distractions and I hope we all battle them without rudeness.

4905285165_5745253821.jpg

I just looked at the video again, and the guy actually said, "Are you going to stand still, sir?" - So I guess he was nicer about it then I previously thought. I just figured most of these peoples games were so on point that I could do cartwheels while on crutches and still not mess up their putts.

The women were all super nice, handled it like champs.

Although I enjoy the dusscusion on this matter it sounds like the incident in question was completely reasonable and handled nicely.

In ball golf, the crowds are roped away from the players. There are dozens of cameras, many up in towers. The announcers speak in hushed tones. And the whole setup costs hundreds of thousands of dollars per event.

In disc golf, we're lucky to get any footage at all. And the only way to get decent footage is to be within spittin' distance of the players. Video is important, as it helps publicize the players and their personalities, which helps the sport grow. If a few can't handle it yet, they'll learn (or they'll learn to stay out of finals).

Although I enjoy the dusscusion on this matter it sounds like the incident in question was completely reasonable and handled nicely.

Well then, let's dredge up some other stories of bad behavior so we can keep the discussion going.

In disc golf, we're lucky to get any footage at all. And the only way to get decent footage is to be within spittin' distance of the players. Video is important, as it helps publicize the players and their personalities, which helps the sport grow. If a few can't handle it yet, they'll learn (or they'll learn to stay out of finals).

I agree, video on the net can be shared with potential sponsors which can generate more $$$ for tournaments

Latest posts