• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG shoe addicts, share your expertise!

Just ordered a new pair of Marshall WP today, I'll check back with a quick review in a few months. Hooray 50% off coupon! Didn't really need new shoes...but oh the coupon! I'll probably play a round or two in my new Keen Rainiers if I play any rounds after work...but a composite toe cap is probably overkill :D
Then again...maybe not for some of you super toe-draggers... ;)

I've almost bought this stuff a few times. What are its downsides? You said somewhat. Does NeverWet not seal out shoes? Also did it discolor them at all?

Discoloration was pretty severe. Light pastel blue. I don't really care that much since these are dedicated disc shoes, but if you do care, do not use it.

Overall, I'd try another product on shoes. I think it does not get along well with flexing.

The grip of the soles looks awesome. I bet they're awesome in wet grass. What about wet rocks?

I have only used them in dry conditions so far and in light dew. Don't know about wet rocks, but definitely good in light dew on grass or dirt.

I think it does not get along well with flexing.

This is great info. Thanks for the heads up. @$17 for a 2 can kit, it needs to work. Is it the breathable mesh fabric that doesn't stay waterproofed, or does constant flexing wear it away? The store display didn't really show flexible fabric, but the box they sprayed had an almost metallic gray haze, so I expected discoloration.

Any shoe waterproofing suggestions? Several posts mention the necessity, but don't give product recommendations.

Discoloration was pretty severe. Light pastel blue. I don't really care that much since these are dedicated disc shoes, but if you do care, do not use it.

Overall, I'd try another product on shoes. I think it does not get along well with flexing.

I agree. I used it on a pair of Merrells (not mesh). They are light blue/gray now, but so far my feet have been completely dry with them. I have probably only put 4 or 5 rounds in, but the water and mud seem to be completely repelled by the stuff. I don't expect it to last forever, but there's plenty left in the cans to do it again.

For dedicated shoes where you don't get worked up over their appearance, I think it's a great solution.

Is it the breathable mesh fabric that doesn't stay waterproofed, or does constant flexing wear it away?
I think the flexing creates "holes" in the barrier.

First round with the shoes resulted in what you see on the videos-mud and water falling off and shoes looking like they just came out of the washer. By the 3rd round or so, mud was sticking to the soles just like before.

Water is getting in now, but I am not certain of the source.

is there much of a difference between the Merrell Moab waterproof non-gortex vs gortex? The two things that I'm most concerned about are being able to step in a 1-2 inch puddle without getting wet, and keeping relatively cool in 100 degree weather.

No idea if mine are goretex, but they have a metal thingie on these that says, "Waterproof".

LIES!!!!!!

i think that's the non-gortex. It looks like the goretex version says "Gore Tex" there.

So even in a shallow puddle your feet get wet? wondering if you have a defective shoe. Surely something that says waterproof would at least be able to keep you dry from a puddle of water.

I am going with defective.

how long did you have them? Where does it start getting wet? Toe? Heel?
From my quick look, it seems that there is now a model doesn't use gore-tex as the waterproof membrane. The gore-tex one is $30 more.
10 of the 75 REI reviews say it's not water resistant.
My suggestion, (originally, would have warranty-returned them, but now that you've coated them, probably can't), is to try to identify where it's leaking. My guess is that it's a seam on the liner, where the waterproof membrane is. I'd try a liquid seam sealer on it to see if that works.
Since WP membranes have to be assembled to the shape of the shoe, they can't be one single piece, so they seal the seams to keep water out. My guess is that some part of yours' seam didn't get properly seal, or it wore out. There are plenty of reviews that indicate acceptable waterproofness, so the membrane itself is probably still good. I know it'll be hard to get into the toe area to try to fix it, but the membrane is where the failure probably is.
Coating the entire shoe in a hydrophobic barrier like never-wet probably destroys any breathability it had...

Leak seal a seam. That's too hard for you?

Well then I hope you don't do anything remotely important.

My favorites over the past few years:

-Heavier but super durable: Teva Riva eVent
-Medium weight, medium durable: Oboz Firebrand II
-Lighter weight, medium durable: Vasque Juxt
-Medium, nice and durable: Garmont Zenith GTX

Currently wearing the Garmonts and really enjoy them. The Vasques are pretty close for being nice and durable while light as well. Had other shoes but these stand out.

Latest posts