• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Winter/Spring break

madman1101

Par Member
One of my buddies from school and I are looking for a nice destination for winter or spring break. Must have plenty of courses. preferably warm. we just want to have fun and play plenty of disc golf. any good tips? didn't see any threads so don't bash if i missed one.

Charlotte would be a great winter destination, a dense set of good courses and reasonable winter weather. Georgia isn't quite as dense, but the Atlanta and Augusta areas have a bunch of fun places to play and you might be able to work in a Flyboy stop.

Texas, NC, Cali.. Heard those are good. I've only played in Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Florida though. Florida is pretty nice.

Florida sucks. A few good courses wayyyy spread out.

GA or NC, biased to both, both excellent.

If you didn't play Worlds, why not NC? Hit up a bunch of the solid Worlds courses in Charlotte, and then perhaps pop down to Rock Hill, SC and hit up Winthrop, or out to the coast to play Castle Hayne (neither of which I have done, btw). In addition, the IDGC isn't too far away, if it's truly to be a disc golf vacay.

I went to Highbridge over my last spring break and we had the entire property to ourselves...it was incredible!!

Florida sucks. A few good courses wayyyy spread out.

GA or NC, biased to both, both excellent.

Pretty strong words, from someone who hasn't played any of the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area courses. There is plenty of good disc golf to be had around Tampa, Plus the possibility of good winter/spring weather. Nice beaches on the gulf too! And Busch Gardens, if you like roller coasters and stuff.

Last edited:
Go to California if you can. If you are a serious or semi-serious disc golfer and you have an opportunity to get out there, do it. You will not be disappointed.

Santa Cruz and the Monterey Bay area offers plenty of fun and a good variety of courses including DeLaveaga and Ryan Ranch.

The San Francisco Bay area is not too far away from Santa Cruz and you would have an opportunity to play Golden Gate Park and Stafford Lake.

Wherever you go, have fun! :thmbup:

O.P.---
---Is it just a disc golf vacation, or are you looking for other fun activities (beaches, bars, etc.)?
---What time of year? If you're looking for warm and winter, that's fairly limited. Spring brings wonderful weather to much more of the country.
---Are you looking for one location to stay and play the vicinity, or a touring vacation, catching many courses over a swath of the country?

You might PM Harr0140. He takes a chunk of each winter and tours more southern states, playing courses.

Pretty strong words, from someone who hasn't played any of the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area courses. There is plenty of good disc golf to be had around Tampa, Plus the possibility of good winter/spring weather. Nice beaches on the gulf too! And Busch Gardens, if you like roller coasters and stuff.

I just think Floridas good courses are very spread apart which makes it tough to have a really good destination trip. If it wasn't such a big state I would of played the Tampa/Clearwater area by now :|.

Tampa area and Orlando area aren't that far apart and, combined, have some pretty good disc golf and excellent winter weather.

I just think Floridas good courses are very spread apart which makes it tough to have a really good destination trip. If it wasn't such a big state I would of played the Tampa/Clearwater area by now :|.

Hmm, I counted 8 courses in the greater Tampa area rated 3 discs or better. Seems like a pretty good destination to me. Plus a world class disc golf store and Ken Climo's home course.

O.P.---
---Is it just a disc golf vacation, or are you looking for other fun activities (beaches, bars, etc.)?
---What time of year? If you're looking for warm and winter, that's fairly limited. Spring brings wonderful weather to much more of the country.
---Are you looking for one location to stay and play the vicinity, or a touring vacation, catching many courses over a swath of the country?

You might PM Harr0140. He takes a chunk of each winter and tours more southern states, playing courses.

Mainly dg but also a good time.. looking to stay in one place the whole time. Looking for fun though. Tampa might work well because of family there.. hmmmm

Hmm, I counted 8 courses in the greater Tampa area rated 3 discs or better. Seems like a pretty good destination to me. Plus a world class disc golf store and Ken Climo's home course.

Playing where Ken Climo plays doesn't do a lot for me. I'm not saying it is BAD disc golf as a state, but out of the few courses I have played(small sample size) it has been overrated.

3 discs could still be under a 3 rating though, which for me doesn't do anything( i didn't check, i'm just stating)

no need to get so defensive, just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean you can't have yours and they co-exist peacefully :).

Playing where Ken Climo plays doesn't do a lot for me. I'm not saying it is BAD disc golf as a state, but out of the few courses I have played(small sample size) it has been overrated.

3 discs could still be under a 3 rating though, which for me doesn't do anything( i didn't check, i'm just stating)

no need to get so defensive, just because someone has an opinion doesn't mean you can't have yours and they co-exist peacefully :).

I don't deny your right to opinion, but to blatently say Florida sucks, when you seem to have little expieriance down here, thats all I'm saying.

Florida is not as good as North Carolina and perhaps Georgia*

That is probably what I should of said(based off of my small sample size for florida) to start with.

Florida is not as good as North Carolina and perhaps Georgia*

That is probably what I should of said(based off of my small sample size for florida) to start with.

Thank you. peace!:)